Forums

I like the flat dashboard

I like the flat dashboard

I am actually looking forward to having an unobstructed view of the road with the minimal dash. I signed up for this car expecting paradigm shifting design an this is what we got.
A small,switchable heads up display should be cheaper and easier to implement than a separate driver binnacle with info screen. This would be the way to go if Tesla gave in to demand for a more driver centric
auxiliary display. It could be easily integrated into the existing flat dash.

Tropopause | 03. April 2016

Agreed. I, too, signed up for a "paradigm shifting design" and am thrilled with the Tesla Model 3. The further away from the mainstream ICE design, the better.

People want change but some complain when it comes. Eventually, they embrace the change and don't know how they ever managed in the old days.

Stevenilg | 03. April 2016

I agree. I want my car interior to be new and different.

Orion | 03. April 2016

I agree.... about the minimal dash.... but now the screen has grown on me... it;s in the right position and doesn't need to be right in front of me... I am an Engineer and an Uber driver that excels at making it efficient and profitable for me...Less dash equals a safer drive... it's obstructions at the corners of the windshield that get me into trouble (excessive inspection and airport stickers on the windshield required by the state for Uber. In addition to the inspection and registration stickers for regular drivers)

KP in NPT | 03. April 2016

I also agree. I like the minimal design of the Model S dash and I like how the Model 3 looks futuristic/spacecraft-ish. I am hoping "Part 2" includes some awesome projected HUD, though. even if it's optional.

cephellow | 03. April 2016

I'm hoping they take it all of the way and make the display a detachable tablet with an active hinge element and a single USB C connection. Very inexpensive to build.
Create Apple Watch and other Apps to remind me of speed and charge level, voice control the rest of stuff like nav. If we are going to have change, let's go for it. They can use a very minimal HUD for the mandated display requirements, but I'd like a car that has Saab-mode darkness for night time driving.
I love what Tesla has done with the $equiv; and hope they don't listen to a committee opinion on when the design should go.

Haggy | 03. April 2016

I have no way of knowing how much I will like something I haven't tried, so I reserve the right to cancel my reservation at any time. That being said, I encourage those who have driven cars with no dash display in front of them to comment. It seems strange to me, but it will come down to how much of a practical difference it makes.

What's worth discussing is what appears on the dash display of the Model S, how it's used, and what the ramifications would be of not having it.

Suppose Tesla uses a next generation of autopilot technology that lets the car see just as far back on each side as it sees forward in the Model S. Suppose each side mirror or each A pillar has blind spot indicators. Suppose the software gets reliable to the point that seeing icons of cars, trucks and motorcycles makes no sense, since we see them on the road with our eyes and know that the car knows about them. Suppose we have no need to look at the speedometer when the car is doing the driving, and there's a head up display anyway. All those would be factors that would determine how much we need to see on the display.

On the other hand, even with the giant display on the Model S, we see a navigator display on the dashboard despite having the route in the center console. One could argue whether it's strictly necessary, but Tesla went in the opposite direction by adding this to the dashboard when everybody else had it in the middle. Since I use it, I'd say it's a positive. Tesla also allows us to see other information ranging from trip odometers to the current song playing, even though those would be easy to see in the center console. Yet we use them, and I've seen plenty of complaints when we can't see enough information. That's what happened when we lost some of the trip odometer info, and when the level of power or regen got combined with the power graph, meaning we had to give up one display area that might have been used for something else if we still wanted to see that. There were some things that drivers wondered about, such as when the brake lights go on, given that the car has regen or applies the brakes on its own, and now we see that on the dashboard.

But we have to consider whether any of that's relevant, or whether it's a fitting advantage in the Model S because the Model S is a high end car, while the Model 3 will be a lower tier high end car. Other cars don't show much of what the Model S shows, yet ACC works and the brake lights come on when they should. With the Model S, the display merely confirmed that things work exactly as they should with respect to some things that other cars don't show at all.

If we don't need to see something, and it's a luxury, then perhaps it's not a big issue especially if cars in the price class don't typically show it. If we look at traditional dashboards, there were displays for four items that were almost always there. One was the speed, and that's still important. Another was a tachometer, which doesn't apply. We don't need a temperature gauge for the engine cooling system. Battery gauges for 12V have gone away for the most part on other cars, and we certainly don't need a gas gauge. That leaves the speed, but we should add the main battery level. So it comes down to whether seeing the speed on the center console, and seeing a battery indicator there is sufficient. An HUD would do it for me, but I can't rule out feeling comfortable with it off to the side.

eye.surgeon | 03. April 2016

I like it too.

Nic727 | 03. April 2016

I dont know... I like that flat design interface and Its at the right position, but while driving, it will be so hard to look at the road, right, road, right... Instead of up and down.

Also, how easy will it be to see energy using/used/saving, autopilot road lines and auto speed? How will they show flasher or light indicator?

Red Sage ca us | 05. April 2016

Car interiors of today are typically just vestigial outgrowths of attempts to hide flaws of drivetrain design, such as the venerable longitudinal transmission hump of lore.

mos6507 | 05. April 2016

Why obsess over whether you like a prototype dash that Musk already said is going to change? When you receive your vehicle, it's not going to look like that.

adias.angel | 05. April 2016

Haggy: "Suppose Tesla uses a next generation of autopilot technology that lets the car see just as far back on each side as it sees forward in the Model S. ... All those would be factors that would determine how much we need to see on the display."

At a minimum I want to drive my car, autonomous features or not. Part of the point of getting a Tesla is the fun of driving it. What I need to see at a glance frequently is how fast I am going. I would prefer while going 80mph on the highway not to have to remove my eyes from the road to see my speed. A simple HUD would fix that. Beyond speed a HUD that showed obstacles/car indicators at my sides would be much welcomed. While I don't need a "spaceship display" (though it would be welcomed) I do need something.

@mos6507 I think some of us are just dreaming about the possibilities. I personally love the minimal dash so I am hoping it will stick around in some form.

PhillyGal | 05. April 2016

While we know this isn't by any means a final design, I suspect if there isn't a traditional dash display we will get used to it really quickly and in fact, start demanding it. Same goes for no center console. I'll be really bummed if I can't get an open space in my Model 3.

The funny part is just as other automakers are starting failed attempts at catching up to Tesla's 2012 inclusion of a huge touchscreen, Tesla will sock `em with some crazy spaceship cockpit design that will take years to flow down.

They'll always be 2 steps behind.

Red Sage ca us | 07. April 2016

The Ford Falcon photo above has an aftermarket cupholder console and extra gauges below the dash and over the transmission hump. The dashboard itself was rather minimal.