Forums

2nd row middle seat "cargo mode"

2nd row middle seat "cargo mode"

Hey folks,
Today I found myself without my trailer hitch & bike rack and had to load a bike into the X. I'd never actually done this. So I moved all the seats full forward and was surprised...the middle seat on the middle row really doesn't move much. The outboard seats both go way forward and lean up. The middle seat just moves forward a couple inches and that's it. Is it supposed to move further than that? Or is that it? Generally I've felt good about cargo capacity, but I admit that I also assumed the middle seat would move at least close to as far forward as the side ones.

Normal?

speyerj | 30. Mai 2016

""Thank you for your email. The Model X shown in the video is equipped with a prototype seat and not a production seat. Unfortunately, the production seats do not allow the middle seat to move forward as much as the outboard seats."

Or ya know...they could have no idea what they're talking about. Per the recent software update...does anyone at Tesla communicate with anyone else? Or do they have some sort of NDA in place prior to software updates?

Son of a Gunn | 30. Mai 2016

Dortor we get it already you don't like the X. Your nagging repetition is getting annoying. Too bad there's no way to mute characters on the forum. Can you mute yourself for goodness sake?

speyerj | 30. Mai 2016

@SoaG
While I normally agree with you that Dortor gets a bit tiresome, on this particular thread I think he's been civil and appropriate. He's answering folks' questions or comments. It's true that the S would have handled the cargo in question, and it's true that the X wouldn't. It's true that that sort of makes the whole "SUV/CUV" nomenclature a bit vague.

Ankit Mishra | 30. Mai 2016

@speyerj
Does the latest software update change the behavior of middle 2nd row seats? I saw a video on TMC but couldn't understand whether they are going more forward now by screen controls or not.

speyerj | 30. Mai 2016

Yup, that's what my above comment vis a vis "they could have no idea what they're talking about" in regard to being told a week ago that the middle seat was incapable of moving forward as demonstrated...and then the software update allows it.

But I will say that the end result is that yes, now the seats do exactly what you'd expect them to (and what we hoped they would)

Ankit Mishra | 30. Mai 2016

@speyerj
That's good news. Enjoy the desired capability.

elguapo | 30. Mai 2016

Interesting. I will have to check this tonight. Definitely helpful to control second row from front and new key fob controls.

I don't really understand why you'd activate summon when you're in the care. Why not just drive it at that point? I've been confused by that.

elguapo | 30. Mai 2016

Car not care.

Redmiata98 | 30. Mai 2016

For parking in smaller garages, the summon command does a better job of parking the car. You can also stand in the garage to make sure it does not get closer to obstacles than you are comfortable.

I do not understand why you would want to use summon if you are IN the car but outside I do understand.

elguapo | 31. Mai 2016

@Redmiata98 Agreed. Very useful if you're out of the car. That's why I don't understand why anyone would use the functionality on the steering wheel.

lilbean | 31. Mai 2016

I guess it's useful if you are a really bad driver. I saw a Model X with rims that were all scraped. They should use the self parking feature.

aesculus | 31. Mai 2016

I guess you could start it and then exit the car and have it park itself.

I think this was one of the causes someone in a Model S (which has had this feature) claimed the car moved on it's own. Turned out he hit the park command too many times and did not pay attention to the screens warning him the car was going into Summons mode. Now it forces you to take action before it starts.

Since my Wifi does not work in the garage area I am afraid of using summons. My LTE is spotty too.

elguapo | 31. Mai 2016

@lilbean Autopark I can definitely see using - except it has rarely detected open spots when I've tried to use it.

I consider Summon to be separate from Autopark and Autopilot. If I am outside the car, I just use the app...

lilbean | 31. Mai 2016

@elguapo: ah, I see. I don't use summon it doesn't work with my slight driveway incline. Auto park definitely works better in the Model S. It never fails to detect the parking spots when I want to parallel park.

elguapo | 31. Mai 2016

@lilbean I think the S works better because it's lower and the sensors seem to look out parallel to the ground and they're looking for cars and curbs. My X frequently can't see the curb, probably because of the height of the car.

Who knows. I don't mind parking my own car right now. Not sure I'd trust it anyway.

lilbean | 31. Mai 2016

@elguapo: That makes sense. I have a hard time trusting many of the cool features.

aesculus | 31. Mai 2016

I have my car set to low all the time and it seems to do a pretty good job with curbs so far.

Redmiata98 | 31. Mai 2016

I have good luck with the perpindicular park in the X, works great when parking between 2 Teslas at the supercharger. I have not ever gotten a notice that parallel was ready to execute, maybe it is the height as elguapo says.

Pages