Forums

Third Generation Vehicle. First Time Owners. Preparing Our Brains For The Model 3 Experience. (v1.3)

Third Generation Vehicle. First Time Owners. Preparing Our Brains For The Model 3 Experience. (v1.3)

If you happen to be like me (hopefully not), you might have earmarked a one thousand dollar bill for a Model 3 without fully comprehending the responsibilities you were taking on. I’m not referring to driving your Model 3, paying for your Model 3, or even abstaining from keeping your foot pressed all the way down on the accelerator of your Model 3. Rather I’m referring to the notion that once you take delivery of your car you are inevitably inducted into the unofficial EV public relations department, not only for your 3, not only for Tesla in general, but as an ambassador of the electric car industry as a whole.

I’m probably overstating this point for the sake of drama, but just imagine what existing electric car owners must spend a portion of their time doing. They are fielding questions about EVs. They are curing ignorance. Dispelling misconceptions. Deprogramming the brainwashed. Directing strangers who want to try out their car to the nearest Tesla showroom. It seems current EV owners are covert emissaries of the electric mindset.

I suspect that’s what happens. Having never driven an EV, I’m assuming that’s the way it is. If it’s not, it likely will be with our generation, given the price and range of the 3. But since snatching a reservation in April I’ve had an opportunity to realize how profoundly ignorant I am regarding the EV in general, and Tesla specifically. With a 150 mile round-trip commute to town I’ve been watching the evolution of the electric car only out of the corner of one eye. Did I know I wanted one? Hellyeah. Instantly. It was just a matter of time until the variables of price and range lined up in the sites of my desires.

But until recently I’ve only been tracking the industry in a parenthetical manner. I know a few things about Lithium-ion batteries, having recently scoured the planet in search of the best battery for a home solar array. But I didn’t know for example that a gasoline powered car is less than 20% efficient, whereas an electric motor is in the neighborhood of 90% efficient. That’s remarkable.

I did know that a few years ago some upstart EV company had the audacity to call themselves TESLA MOTORS, and had been a little resentful of that, given only one of Nikola’s inventions lie under the hood, with the inventor having invented a world of gadgets well beyond the AC induction motor. But upon reflection, letting go of that [mild] dose of resentment when first hearing Mr. Elon speak about his vision, I suppose that was the first step in curing my ignorances. I became a believer.

And now that an EV, a Tesla EV at that, is nearly parked in my driveway (in the times we live in one or two years goes by in the blink of an eye), it’s time to get the remainder of that ignorance exorcised. Ultimately when some ICE slave approaches my car I want to be prepared to do something with my mouth other than show off my Tesla Grin, and to have something come out of it besides drool. I want to be able to skillfully and authoritatively answer their questions and dispel their anxieties (failing that I’ll just point them to a Tesla store for a test drive). So first a few notes I’ve made, if you’re interested. Most folks likely know all this, but if you don’t you should. Following that a longer comment regarding a couple of questions that perplexed me for a while. And maybe you too.

A few fun facts I didn’t know:

1) For the amount of electricity used to produce a gallon of gasoline, an electric car can go much further on that electricity than that gallon of gas can take a conventional car. Wow.

2) The Depart of Energy has stated that if everyone owned an EV and charged them overnight no new power plants need be built (read my lips: no new power plants!)

3) Tesla does not seek to make a profit on service... since that would be a conflict of interest (what?! Did I just pass through a wormhole?)
(NOTE: It has also been pointed out that cost of routine service is notably high, at least at present.)

4) 5-star crash rating in all categories expected on the Model 3 (Model S got best ever rating partially due to entire front of car being a crumple zone. No engine to end up in the passenger compartment. I feel safer already).

5) Bounty of knowledge here: https://forums.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/tesla-advantage

6) More bounty at this waitbutwhy post by Tim Urban here: http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/06/how-tesla-will-change-your-life.html. The link takes you into part two of a four part blog post because this section is full of ammunition to fight back against many anti-EV arguments.

7) Tesla gives away its technology (in the form of sharing its patents). And it sells its drive train components. Ex: Toyota RAV4 EV is built on a Tesla drivetrain

8) Dual motors can extend rather than reduce range (it’s like Bizarro world. Everything is reversed)

9) Here’s some enlightening documentaries on the topic of EVs:
Who Killed The Electric Car? (2006)
The story of the rise and fall of GM’s EV-1. Brings a tear to your eye.

Revenge of The Electric Car (2011)
The director of ‘Who Killed The Electric Car?’ returns five years later to document the resuscitation of the EV just as GM is putting the Volt program together at the bequest of long time ICE evangelist turned EV promoter, GM bigwig Bob Lutz. The film documents the mind-shift taking place in the management of GM as well as at Nissan, which we find developing the Leaf. The narration goes heavy into Tesla Motors, documenting the birth of the Roadster on through to the company going public. Be sure to watch the bonus features!

What is the electric car? (2010-12)
This is more an all-round introduction to EVs. Think of it as EV-101. We follow student “Julie” as she takes on doing a paper on the EV for an Environmental Studies class. We follow Julie around as she comes up to speed on electric cars. Person-on-the-street interviews demonstrate just how much EV ignorance is running around out there. One at a time, the considerations about owning an EV are raised and then addressed. A variety of EVs are showcased, including a… pickup truck!? Several EV conversions are shown off. The Model S was out when this was filmed so it is of course included, along with the Roadster. They history of the EV is described, dating back to the very first EV built in …. 1832!

Life with Tesla, The Documentary (2011)
Produced by a Tesla Roadster owner and alternative energy enthusiast who buys an EV to escape the clutch of the oil companies. Includes Tesla employee interviews, arguments for installing home solar panels, quotes from Nikola Tesla, and a handful of priceless expressions on people’s faces as a dashcam captures their reaction to going 0-60 in less than 4 seconds.

Tesla: Master of Lightening’ (2008?)
It seems a Tesla driver really should be up to speed on the basics of Nikola Tesla’s background, life, and accomplishments (and failures). There are a number of documentaries covering this material. I found ‘Tesla: Master of Lightening’ worth recommending. Still need to take in the others. There’s also “Westinghouse’ a documentary describing how George Westinghouse was able to leverage the AC induction motor to win the battle of competing distributed electricity standards over Thomas Edison’s Direct Current approach. Here is a link to a photo of one of Nikola Tesla’s original AC induction motors: http://www.teslasociety.com/hall_of_fame.htm

National Geographic - Tesla Motors: The Future of Electric Cars
British made film. Lots of cool footage of the Fremont factory, and a good look at an A-Z build of a Model S. For non-brits you need to know that when the narrator says the word al-u-min’-eee-um he means aluminum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRGy74AyT6A

---------------------------------------------------------
Addressing Two Burning Questions
Two questions that I’ve had relate to why Tesla uses an AC motor, and does a Tesla have any kind of transmission. I kept getting conflicting answers on the topics so finally had to go to all the bother of clicking the browser icon and going online. Googling around a bit revealed I wasn’t the only one confused.

Taking the easier question first; “Does a Tesla have a transmission?” … in talking to people (sometimes mechanics) the typical answer received was along the lines of “No. There’s no shifting of gears. The axles are connected directly to the motor.” OK, regarding no shifting of gears, that made sense. An electric motor has a much greater RPM range than any conventional gasoline/diesel motor, and full torque is available at all motor speeds, so changing gears is not mandatory. But the part about the axles connecting directly to the motor did NOT make sense. How could two axles from opposite directions connect directly to the motor? No differential? Well in fact the axles do NOT connect directly to the motor, and all that is required to realize that is to have a peak at the Tesla drive train, as in this photo and Tesla video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaV7V07tEMQ

Notice that in the video Tesla Ben uses the term direct drive. He says “… no transmission, it’s just a direct drive”. Ah ha. I think that “direct drive” sometimes morphs into “the axles are directly connected to the motor” when people are explaining what they think they know. As you can see, there is a gearbox. It just happens to be a single speed gear box. But believe me, there are gears in there. Here is a photo of a Model S gearbox.

The gear-set on the left is attached directly to the motor (the gear shaft goes through the center of the rotor). You can see the three lugs for the 3 phase power connection in front. Toward the right the technician is handling the differential gear-set that the axles will connect to. The gears are sized to create an overall ratio of 9.73:1 (at least on the MS). This means that the motor makes 9.73 revolutions for every one revolution of the axles. This design enhances torque, but also dictates the top speed of the vehicle. Not to worry, the motor allows for relatively high RPMs to achieve the coveted 100+ MPH road speeds. By the way, that gearbox is filled with oil. I assume ATF? (Automatic Transmission Fluid). Gears require lubrication. So although there are no traditional 3,000 mile oil changes, the gearbox oil does have to be changed out periodically.

Interestingly enough there's a design out there that does have the axles connecting directly to the motor. Below is a photo of the Chevy Spark EV drive train. It is termed a coaxial drive unit, as the axles and motor are on the same axis. But, this ain’t what Tesla did!

--------------
Now for the motor. The question is: “Why does Tesla use an AC motor instead of a DC motor, given that the battery makes DC power?” In fact there are a number of extra components required to allow an AC motor to operate with DC power, so why bother? I found plenty of answers to this question, but in my view you either get overly simplistic replies or overly technical descriptions on the subject. I might as well have been asking where the polar bear came from on the last season of Lost, or do androids in fact dream of electric sheep, for all the satisfaction I got. So here is an attempt to answer the question. Actually it’s a staged answer that gets more technical as we proceed, so feel free to hop off when you’ve had enough.

Answer for Normal Human Beings
The shortest and simplest answer as to why an AC motor over a DC motor is… “because”. And that will suffice for some. No worries. But if the question is explored a bit further, someone with knowledge of the History of Tesla Motors will give you a slightly more elaborate because, which is that the prototype EV that Tesla Motors bought was already using an AC motor. True. Further, it’s been pointed out that if a DC motor had been used then Tesla Motors could not be called Tesla Motors, given that Nikola Tesla was into AC, not DC. A bit cheeky, but true enough.

Geek Level 1
The next level of explanation is that by using an AC motor, in particular a version of Nikola Tesla’s AC induction motor, that parts most susceptible to supply issues, cost increases, wearing out, etc. are reduced. The parts that wear out are the so-called brushes sometimes found in DC motors because they physically engage a rotating shaft and friction occurs. The other parts eliminated were permanent magnets. The kind of magnets often used in electric motors are rare-earth magnets because they are very powerful (the materials that make the magnets are quite rare and they are dug up from the earth), but China has most of the rare earth deposits so... you know. Besides being expensive, permanent magnets can break, demagnetize, add weight, and there are alternatives that allow for more control over the magnetic fields they produce. It is in fact AC current that actually substitutes for the magnets.

Line up all those answers and you’ve got a reasonable and only slightly geeky explanation justifying Tesla Motors' use of an AC motor. Cost savings, weight savings, legacy, elimination of parts that wear out, and more control. So we’re done, right?

Geek Level 2
Right. Unless you’re a geek like me and are still saying “Why?”. Spewing out facts like brushes wear out and AC substitutes for magnets is too abstract to allow for a deeper understanding. There’s no context to fit the information together. You don’t know what they used instead of brushes, or what it is it about Nikola Tesla’s 100+ year old invention that allowed the magnets to come out. I finally found a more robust explanation, but not in any one place, so for inquiring minds here is my best shot at assembling a fuller but hopefully not over-technical explanation.

Before going further it helps to understand one basic (and very cool) thing about electric motors. Electric motors (AC or DC) are all about magnetic fields. Magnetism is the name of this game. The Electromagnetic Force is one of the four fundamental forces of nature (the others being the Gravitational Force, the Strong Force [holds atoms together], and the Weak Force [decay of fundamental particles]).

Electromagnetism is the superhero force that makes motors spin. Just think for a second about how two magnets facing each other with the same polarity tend to repel (north pole to north pole, or south pole to south pole), and likewise how magnets pull together when opposite polarities are facing (opposites attract). So imagine if you were to duct tape a bunch of magnets to say, a Lazy Susan, and then place some other magnet near that bundle, what would happen?. That's basically how electric motors work. And the bigger the magnets the more powerful the force that spins the cylinder. Whether powered by magnets or an ICE, the twisting force that spins a motor is termed torque. The stronger the magnetic fields the more torque. Torque comes in pretty handy in an automobile.

When designing an electric motor there are several ways to come up with these all important magnetic fields. One way is with natural, or permanent magnets. Some minerals are naturally magnetized and emit an electromagnetic field. On the other hand if you go to the trouble of formulating an alloy using the rare-earth element Neodymium you get a very serious magnet that motor designers love (more torque). A second way to make a magnetic field is if you take a few wrappings of copper wire and apply a DC (direct current) voltage to the winding. The coil will emit an electromagnetic field. Thirdly, you can create an electromagnetic field with AC (alternating current), but we’re going to save that one for a moment. Given what’s been said we have now enough of a primer to talk about brushes and AC induction motors in a way that will hopefully make sense and not be some abstract notion.

BRUSHES
In simple terms traditional DC motors work by surrounding a rotating shaft with windings of copper wire that are energized by a DC power source (termed an armature because the wires are wrapped around the arms of a metal frame). The rotor is then surrounded by another magnetic field from a fixed position, which is accomplished with a case encircling the rotor that has permanent magnets adhered to the inside of the case (this sort of rig is called a stator because it is stationary).

The problem is how to get power to the coil on the rotor since it will be spinning (to make the wheels on the car go round and round). This is where brushes come in. What you do is press a conductive material against the rotor, as shown in this image:

As you can see, a pair of carbon brushes (one for positive and one for negative) are connected to the DC leads. The brushes then make physical contact with a designated area near the end of the rotor that distributes the voltage to the armature (it’s called a commutator because it commutes the current across). The weakness of this design is that you have two parts rubbing against each other, and the [softer] brushes eventually wear down to a nub and must be replaced. You don’t want that happening in traffic so this is why a brushed motor is a no-starter in an EV. (btw – from a green perspective you don’t want to be around a brushed motor. As the brushes wear out they spew nasty particles of carbon or graphite into the air. Brushed motors contribute in some small way to air pollution).

Now as it happens the DC motor evolved some time ago into a version not requiring brushes. Some clever person had the brilliant idea of moving the permanent magnets from the stator to the rotor, and moving the coils of wire from the rotor to the stator. With this advance the DC leads could easily be attached to the coils on the stationary part of the motor. There was no longer a need to get electricity to the rotor.

MAGNETS
However the magnets still remained. For all the reasons cited above they need to go too. And this is where we get the opportunity to comprehend the brilliance of the AC induction motor used in a Tesla.

Enter AC or alternating current. Unlike DC voltage, which has constant polarity (like a AA battery with a positive and a negative end), AC changes from positive to negative several times a second (it alternates the polarity from + to -). Alternating current creates an oscillating sine wave. To take household wiring as an example the voltage goes from zero volts to a positive 120 volts … then ramps down to zero volts. It then repeats, only with the polarity reversed. This occurs 60 times a second. Here’s an image of an AC sine wave:

So, why do we care? Because each time the voltage rises and falls AN ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELD IS CREATED. This is a new, third way, to make a magnetic field. Great. But how does this help our motor? Recall that you don’t want coils of wire around the rotor because they must be powered through brushes. And you don’t want magnets around the rotor either. So what you do instead is use a chunk of conductive material like aluminum or copper for the rotor, and you energize the coils in the stator with alternating current instead of DC. With AC behaving as it does the coils will produce an electromagnetic field that extends all the way to the rotor. The field reacts with the highly conductive metal on the rotor to induce a current to flow on the rotor. And just as with the AC current creating electromagnetic fields in the stator, the current flowing on the rotor in turn creates a field around the rotor.

Whoa. Did you get that? Without having to understand the physics of what creates an electromagnetic field or how an electromagnetic field could induce a current flow, the point is that all of a sudden the rotor is creating a magnetic field in tune to the cycling of the AC current feeding the stator. No electricity is wired to the rotor. No permanent magnets are attached to the rotor. Yet a magnetic field has been produced. Without all the fuss of brushes and rare earth magnets we’re back to having the all-important two opposing magnetic fields that make a motor spin.

So once again: Coils of wire on the stator > apply an alternating current to the coils > an electromagnetic field is created that reaches the rotor > a current is INDUCED to flow on the conductive rotor > that current flow emits an electromagnetic field on the rotor. Voilà. The AC inductive motor.

Here’s an animation of that principal. Scroll down to “How does an AC induction motor work?”

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/induction-motors.html

Thank you Nikola Tesla for figuring that out!

Geek Level 3
What's left is the 3-phase 4-pole part. The earlier animation demonstrates a 2-pole motor. Just two opposing coils are wired together (in series). Thus two poles, or a 2-pole motor. The above animation has two sets of those paired coils (blue and red), and real motors will have several more around the circumference of the stator, but it is still considered a 2-pole motor.

A refined version of this design uses 4 coils wired in series. One paired set of poles still face opposite each other, but another pair is added 90° apart. Thus the 4-pole motor. Doubling the number of poles in the circuit increases torque. Picture an apple pie cut in four slices. That gives you an idea of the topography of the coils, which sit at the fat end of each slice. As noted with 2-pole motors, there will be multiple sets of these 4 coils, wired in the same manner. You can just keep slicing that pie up in your head or look at it this fully wired stator:

It’s pretty hard to tell how many poles this stator has. It all depends on how the coils were wired together. What you’re looking at is insulated copper wire wrapped around the length of the stator. The coils of wire are referred to as windings for obvious reasons.

Now for the 3 phase part. 3 phase AC is just three sources of AC power. It takes the form of three separate power cables. Think of AC phases as cylinders in a conventional ICE. The more cylinders (power sources) the smoother the engine runs. Right? A V8 engine runs smoother than a 4 cylinder engine and has more power. Likewise you get more work done with 3-phase power than the typical single phase source such as from a household outlet. But how best to apply the extra power? The earlier image of a sinewave was of a single phase circuit. Let’s look at a sinewave again before continuing:

Notice that power starts at zero volts, drops to zero volts as the cycle transitions from positive to negative, and then drops to zero volts again. No voltage equals no current flow in that instant. No current flow equals no electromagnetic field. So with our example 60Hz power there is no power 120 times each second. Aahh! That will never do for a Tesla. The solution to this “problem” is to apply a separate AC source to power an adjacent set of coils. But you don’t power both circuits at the same time. Instead you time it so that the second AC source is producing an electromagnetic field when the first is not. Thus the motor is always powered. And what the heck, if two AC legs are good, three must be better (3 phase is the industry standard). So now three separate AC sources are each powering a separate set of 4 coils (4 poles, at 4 opposing points on the compass) at any given moment, each out of phase with the other.

To continue our ICE analogy, do the pistons in the engine all have their combustion cycle occur in the same instant? No. The combustion cycles are staggered (phased) to maximize torque and smooth the operation of the engine. It’s the very same principal for electric motors. The below diagram illustrates 3 phase AC in action. Notice that at any point in time voltage is present… thus current flow… thus an electromagnetic field… thus a force pulling on the rotor.

Add it all up and in effect you have what designers term a rotating magnetic field progressing around the circumference of the rotor. The rotor is constantly being dragged around in a circle, never quite catching up to the rotating field. The action is orchestrated by an electronic controller.

So there it is. The 3-phase 4-pole induction motor. A simple device actually. Steel. Copper. Windings. No friction from moving parts except the bearings the rotor turns on. It’s the alternating current that really makes the magic happen… the movement of those electromagnetic fields creating opposing forces that twist the rotor in circles. It’s all sort of a dance when you think about it.

NOTE: To avoid confusion be aware that an above link to the excellent Tim Urban waitbutwhy blog post, as well as the link to an awesome How It's Made - Dream Cars" video below each have sections describing how the motor works... and neither one quite nails it. So don't be confused by their slightly erroneous descriptions and animations. (And please forgive my minor quibble).

BTW – Tesla uses a copper rotor for its motors in lieu of aluminum due to copper’s much better conductivity. It’s far more difficult and costly to make rotors out of copper but you get a more efficient motor.

----------------------------------------------------------
CREDITS: Thanks to Ivan over at Ivan’s Garage for filling in the blanks of my knowledge. Ivan winds his own electric motors so he knows a thing or two about the AC inductive motor. (http://ivanbennett.com/forum/)

In this interesting blog post a gentleman named Wally Rippel who helped develop the motor for the EV-1 and later worked at Tesla Motors talks about AC motors: https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/induction-versus-dc-brushless-motors

Another great blog thread is from 2006 where co-founder Martin Eberhard discusses induction motors: https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/motor-city

Here’s a great video from a show called "How It's Made - Dream Cars showing a detailed assembly of Model S. At 6 min in they show the motor being assembled. (updated to include the preferred video).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9yZeGmz8jRja1hiSTl4RDF2ODg/view

Nice video explaining 3 phase motors https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGPdPKMSpv8

And here is a generic thread on copper rotors: http://www.motor.com/newsletters/20120611/WebFiles/ID2_Copper.html

Older animation explaining how magnetism works. Good for kids too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bht9AJ1eNYc

Video of a Tesla drive unit on display in the showroom of a Tesla store in Boulder Colorado: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggoi0OBhVSQ

Hopefully these videos will make more sense having become familiar with some of the terminology used in electric motors and how AC can make them work better.

END

Version History
V1.1 Swapped in inline photo of gearbox of actual Model S instead of Roadster, minor text clean up in induction motor explanation, swapped in inline photos and removed links now that Jeffrey showed me how. Was able to get past mollom and post the good video of a Model S being assembled, along with the great view of a motor assembly, so ignore the reply about that.

V1.2 A few edits to make the tech stuff a touch easier to understand. Added part about why Model S got the highest ever crash rating.

V1.3. Rewrote 3 phase AC explanation. Added caveat to Tesla Motors claim of not making profit on service.

Drdpharris | 17. Mai 2016

Hey great article. I expect you will extend it in future?

jfingas | 17. Mai 2016

One thing I'd say: above all else, be grounded (that's not an intentional electricity pun, I swear).

Remember that many people with gas-powered cars aren't drones. They may have very good reasons why they aren't buying an EV yet: they have to visit family that's too far away (and with no fast EV charging in sight). Their apartment complex doesn't have EV facilities. There's nowhere to top up at work, and they have to drive too far in the evening.

Also, it's okay if they aren't rushing to buy a Model 3 the moment they see it. You're an owner, not a salesperson, and it's not your responsibility to close a deal then and there.

Be honest about the quirks in Tesla's cars and EVs in general. Yes, they tend to be expensive (and the lower 'fuel' costs won't always pay for themselves). Yes, you may run into bugs in the design or software if you get an early model. Yes, you'll have to plan long trips around charging stations. And yes, the thrills of burly engine notes and manual shifting will go away. Being humble shows that you're not just a cheerleader, that you've made a rational decision based on your driving habits, the design and (hopefully) concern for the environment.

adias.angel | 17. Mai 2016

*standing ovation* Well done! Happy to see other geeks out there really digging into how a Tesla works.

I was part of a solar car team back when I was in college (years ago) and much of my knowledge from that time is what sold me on the idea of a EV car. Thanks you for the help updating my knowledge base on Tesla specific motors!

vp09 | 17. Mai 2016

Thank you very much! I will be coming back to this again and again, and exploring every one of your links.

tandjharris | 17. Mai 2016

Thanks for all the info and links.
I have just watched the National Geographic documentary and although it has a Britsh voiceover and the use of the word 'aluminium', weirdly it mentions dollars, sedan and gas rather than pounds, saloon and petrol.

carlk | 17. Mai 2016

Another fun fact is a 5000lb EV with supercar performance would use about the same amount of energy as a tiny and slow EV at cruising speed or at "idling", which is none. Try that for an ICE car.

tesla | 17. Mai 2016

Thanx all. Hi. Drdpharris. I was thinking that perhaps folks would just add their own wisdom if they care to, as jfingas did. It's a shame you can't edit posts to keep things organized.

Speaking of... 5 minutes after posting I tripped up on the best video yet about how the model S is made. Really nice documentary with killer detail showing how the car is assembled. Tesla really threw the doors open for these folks.

(wow. really fighting mollom here. Google this string. The upload dated Mar 16 2016 is cleaner
"how it's made dream cars tesla model s"

For those following the details as to how the induction motor works there is segment where the process of building the motor is covered in detail. It's fascinating, but I'd like to mention that the narrator describing the process might throw the audience off a couple of times.

At about 6:15 in he says: "this is a 3 phase motor so there are 3 separate coils of copper". Of course what's being shown on camera is 4 coils of copper (the 4 poles). But each each of the 4 bundles are connected to the each of the 3 phase (cables).

At 10:15 in, referring to the inverter, he says "the 3 phased tri-pole inverter". I'm pretty sure that "tri-pole" part is bogus. There are indeed three sections of the inverter, and you can pretty well see the three protrusion in the video as the inverter spins around. But the term "pole" doesn't fit. (best as I understand)

That's probably nit picking. But it's also the kind of journalism that leads to unnecessary confusion. Take your pick. :>.

Now I'm going to see if i can pull off some inline photos like my new friend Red sage ca manages. Some still shots from the video:

-------
whoops. Guess not. red sage, what online service do you use to store photos?

JeffreyR | 17. Mai 2016

Great post, and thanks for the reference too!

Check out my Tips & Tricks for posting image help. I use postimage dot org. They even give you the HTML you need.

Remember you can edit your OP all you want (at least if Mollom does not trip you up).

One correction, the amount of electricity it takes to refine a gallon of gas is a well guarded industry secret and only an average anyways as different crude sources have different "mixes" that vary in how difficult they are to refine. I've seen various estimates from 3-7 kWh. Elon has stated that if we used the electricity to drive instead, you could replace the current fleet w/ EV. That does not include exploration, extraction, nor transportation to the refinery nor any of the energy to distribute it and pump it.

Tesla has a few blog posts on range and efficiency too, "Model S Efficiency and Range"

https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/model-s-efficiency-and-range

If you have not read them yet, "Wait, But Why" has some great stuff too:

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/06/how-tesla-will-change-your-life.html

JAD | 17. Mai 2016

Nice. You should fit in nicely with the other nuts here :)

Red Sage ca us | 17. Mai 2016

CoastalCruiser: Thank you very much for pulling all this together. This is much more specific than the general knowledge I gained by reading science books and encyclopedia articles when I was a kid. Just because it is possible to do something the easy way doesn't mean that is the best way to get them done. I love that Tesla Motors is not afraid to take on the challenge of doing the 'impossible' for the sake of being the best.

mntlvr23 | 17. Mai 2016

CoastalCruiser - very nice, thanks

bj | 17. Mai 2016

@CoastalCruiser - you definitely win the prize for the longest posting I have ever seen on a Tesla forum, but well done, very informative. Do you write for a living? Quite a few bon mots in there, such as "one upstart EV company had the audacity to call themselves TESLA MOTORS, and had been a little resentful of that, given only one of Nikola’s inventions lie under the hood" and "I might as well have been asking where the polar bear came from on the last season of Lost, or why didn’t HBO’s Rome go a third season for all the satisfaction I got."

bb0tin | 19. Mai 2016

@CoastalCruiser
Thanks for your post.
Rare earth elements are not actually rare.
The electomagnetic and weak forces are manifestations of the electroweak force.

tesla | 19. Mai 2016

Thanx for the feedback all. bj, yes, a little writing. A little teaching. Given the length of the article I tried to spice it up a bit to help pull the reader through the material. :)

Hmm. I just found out that mollom doesn't like the traditional semi colon and greater than symbol. I think mollom is bi-polar. Links that were rejected one day were accepted the following day.

topher | 19. Mai 2016

"The electomagnetic and weak forces are manifestations of the electroweak force."

Unless you are talking about the first few seconds after the big bang, who cares. We deal with four forces at this point.

Thank you kindly.

bb0tin | 19. Mai 2016

@topher
After I wrote that I thought that it was not particularly relevant.
We care because the LHC reaches the energies required to observe it.

georgehawley.fl.us | 19. Mai 2016

I suspect that TMI applies for most but congratulations on the lengthy review of some of the innards of a BEV.
I think that the three phases in Tesla's case are pulse-width modulated to vary the power applied and hence the vehicle's speed.

jsanford | 23. Mai 2016

Thanks for the awesome article. I suspect you're absolutely right about each Tesla owner becoming a Tesla spokesperson. I remember fielding a lot of questions about hybrid technology when I owned my Insight (although if it wasn't for the wheel skirts, most people would have though it was just the latest generation of CRX) and a 45-minute parking lot conversation I had with a GM EV1 driver in Arizona back in 1997 or so.

Tesla-David | 24. Mai 2016

@CoastalCruiser, +1000, thanks for the links and information. You will definitely fit in nicely with all the other Tesla fanatics here.

joseph.duong | 25. Mai 2016

3) Tesla does not seek to make a profit on service... since that would be a conflict of interest (what?! Did I just pass through a wormhole?) - this is wrong they do infact they tried to void your warranty at first but turns out that was illegal

Look at the prices they charge for the yearly services? 450 for air filter replacement, wiper replacement, brake fluid replacement(doesnt need to be done every year maybe more like 3 to 4), key fob batter replacement and an inspection. The first 5 items on the list should be a 50 dollar service assuming you can't do them yourself. As for the inspection they better be taking my whole car apart and putting it back together for the remaining 400 dollars.

tesla | 25. Mai 2016

Thank you joseph. I got that from a video with Elon Musk making that claim, and another video where he claimed that profit on service (I assume for a particular fiscal year) was marginal. He quoted a ridiculously low $ amount on profit but I don't recall the exact figure.

But since posting this thread I've read about complaints such as what you are voicing. I know I would be beyond disturbed to face such a bill. I've modified the post to allow for the ambiguity of the claim.

btw - when you say "air filter replacement" what filter are you referring to?

Red Sage ca us | 25. Mai 2016

Perhaps Elon Musk's statements on profit from Tesla Service Centers has been taken out of context...? As I understood it, his point was that the Service Department at an 'independent franchised dealership' exists for the primary purpose of making a profit for the business as a whole. Often, the highest profits the business sees are from repeat business in their Service Department. His expectation was that at Tesla Motors the Service Centers should make enough to cover their operation at best. This does not mean they won't charge Customers for anything at all, or that they will have the lowest cost Service under the sun. Just that they exist to service cars as needed and nothing more.

Tstolz | 25. Mai 2016

Red Sage got it. Teslas are currently expensive to service simply because there aren't many of them and they use super-premium components. The fact Tesla doesn't make a profit on service has nothing to do with what you pay for a brake job. BTW ... ever price a brake job on a Ferrari?

That said .. cost should come down for M3.

dsvick | 26. Mai 2016

I agree with Tstolz, the price should come down as more vehicles need service. Right now, even to break even, the cars that get serviced have to support the entire service center. Not including parts most of those costs are fixed so the fewer the vehicles the larger their share. As there are more cars needing service each share should go down.

Mind you, I have no prior knowledge of anything I've just spoken about, so I could be, and probably am, completely wrong.

topher | 26. Mai 2016

"As for the inspection they better be taking my whole car apart and putting it back together for the remaining 400 dollars."

Someone claimed that they got a itemized report of what was done, and it showed exactly that. Hearsay, so take it for what it is worth.

Thank you kindly.

TeslaTap.com | 26. Mai 2016

I'm sure some think servicing (in any car) is a rip-off. I've had 3 annuals now (pre-paid) along with 6 tire rotations and felt I got my money's worth and I'm somewhat cheap. They do check qutie a few items and fix/replace if necessary. They also paid for the loaner car (often another Model S). Pricing is in line with other luxury makes.

I want to be sure I am driving a car that is always in a safe condition. Now the safety and quality of the cars is better known, I'd be more comfortable skipping every other service, but may continue anyway. There is no single answer for everyone.

@CoastalCruiser - The cars have a cabin air filter. Obviously there is no engine or engine air filter! Newest Model S/X have the Bio-defence option with mulitple cabin filters. Unknow if this option will be in the Model 3 or not, but I give it even odds it may show up. These filters are really large (in the Model X):

finman100 | 26. Mai 2016

that is the quintessential Elon "duh" look! It's the "duh, people, I got this handled, see the obvious better one that we are making". or words to that effect. Go Tesla!

tesla | 26. Mai 2016

The cars have a cabin air filter. Obviously there is no engine or engine air filter! Newest Model S/X have the Bio-defence option with mulitple cabin filters.

That is what I was assuming, but did not want to jump the gun before confirming. If the mentioned $450 service expense which referred to including an air filter happened to have been a HEPA filter (which I believe is the backbone of the BD system) then that would have a bearing. I just paid $175 to replace a HEPA filter in a (relatively inexpensive) home air purifier.

But even if the filter was a more traditional filter, the subsequent comments help to add context to the idea of surprising annual service costs. (thank you).

BTW - Even though predictions about M3 options are of course risky, I would bet anyone a nickel that the Bio-Defense filter will be available for the 3. I mean, why not? Furthermore I expect that will be the very first option this driver checks the box for when configuring my ride.

PhillyGal | 26. Mai 2016

BRAVO!

I hadn't seen this thread before.

I want to speak to your first point - about being the face of the EV movement. It's very true. We we first test drove the Model S 2 years ago this month, it was just this awesome cool car. In no time flat I found myself being a huge nerd with regard to blabbing about EVs.

For a recap on my most recent blab-fest, please see the below article:

http://www.teslarati.com/bringing-tesla-car-show/

tesla | 26. Mai 2016

I've been waiting for you. I figured that if, by some very lucky chance, the piece gets that "slow clap" response from PhillyGal then I'm in... the article would be validated. The "BRAVO" is dam close. I'll take it.

I read your article. "Teslan"? That's likely to catch on. We're all Teslans now. Even us wantabees. Except you and the other Model S'rs can brag "Yeah... I'm a Teslan from way back". Ha ha ha.

kseehafer | 26. Mai 2016

This post should be pinned at the top! Excellent!

Chargedmr2 | 30. Mai 2016

Congrats! I see that your post was turned into an article and published by Cleantechnica Nice work!

tesla | 09. Juni 2016

Chargedmr2, Thanx so much for catching that. If I may I'd like to stick a link here to that post. Unlike this post it it covers just the motor technology, and I tried to make the explanation more thorough and more readable.

http://cleantechnica.com/2016/05/30/nikola-teslas-19th-century-induction...

Drdpharris | 09. Juni 2016

Very nice! Thanks.

dachuyn | 09. Juni 2016

Very good post... very encouraging.

At the same time, you should not sound like a betrayer. Your encestors (and you too) were all from the ICE age, driving those ICE slaves to work everyday to help to make you become ... you.

Just like you thanked those MX and MS owners for making M3 possible, should thank those who bought ICE cars and made cars the mainstream mean of transportation. Those reason are why Tesla, a late coming but better executing EV car company (like Apple with iPhone ...) could succeed.

Shut up and enjoy your EV. Whenever you see an ICE car next to you, say "Thank you".

(Just try to represent a different point of view from the other side :-) ... No hard feeling... I have 2 M3 orders by the way, and those would be my first EVs)

Haggy | 14. Juni 2016

"As for the inspection they better be taking my whole car apart and putting it back together for the remaining 400 dollars."

If only one person had ever said that Tesla practically takes your whole car apart, I might be more skeptical. But quite a number of people have said things to that affect. The amount of effort they go through is a far cry from just looking things over.

Ross1 | 14. Juni 2016

I now have my reading for the rest of the year, that is a compliment, thankyou.
A Tesla salesman told me there was "only one moving part" Wrong.
Experts on this forum said it would make no difference changing / adding gearing for drag times. Wrong.
TM obviously carefully chose those diff ratios.