Forums

160 mile daily commute. Which Model X is right for me?

160 mile daily commute. Which Model X is right for me?

Hi guys
I am looking to buy a tesla soon, and from my test drive experience - I am leaning towards Model X.
My daily commute is about 160 miles (80 miles and back), with average driving speeds around 75-80 miles/hour.
This commute does not have any superchargers.

I personally don’t like to think about HVAC use, heated seating, etc use when driving.
I'd just like to get a model that I can plug and play, without going into the details of charging, battery use while driving etc on a daily basis.

I'd like suggestions from existing owners or TeslA as to which model X 60d vs 75d vs 90d would suffice my needs.

Thanks!

socalsam | 21. Juli 2016

90d. At 80mph- you will run out of juice or be very close to running out with the others

pchien888 | 21. Juli 2016

Agree wholeheartedly. Unless you can charge at the office, 90D will be my choice. You have enough issues to deal with at work, why add range anxiety to the list?

oragne lovre | 21. Juli 2016

I second socalsam's suggestion: 90D.

Mel. | 21. Juli 2016

90d it is

SUN 2 DRV | 21. Juli 2016

And be sure to consider the unexpected trip beyond just the round trip commute to pick someone up at the airport or to go out to dinner etc. And since driving the Tesla is SO much fun you'll be driving it more than you expect.

Dcp9142 | 21. Juli 2016

Absolutely the 90D. Range takes a hit in cold temperatures and with altitude changes, as well as with speed. Add in a side trip or two, and the general principle of not using the top and bottom 10% of range routinely and the 257 miles of rated range in the 90D drops to 207 miles. Then figure a 20% inefficiency from winter, hills, and speed and you are reign at 160 miles.

Gayatrikr | 21. Juli 2016

How is the terrain ?
I am averaging that much now on. 70d rwd ms
Terraing climbs to 950' from 250'
Going up is rough as i have slow down quite a bit on the up really worried of winter thinking of trading it in for a 90d ms
Stesdy speed is not do bad on a flat terrain
It is slowing and accelerating that GUZZLES the kwh
If iam not super delicate i feel i will run out in no time
Need a 400+ mile batt to zoom around that route and back

dortor | 21. Juli 2016

90D - you always need more range than the strict commute distance - you'll also need a buffer for weather.

bejachb | 21. Juli 2016

Model S

vperl | 21. Juli 2016

Pure speculation with out more information. Where to where from.. why you cannot charge while at work.Good luck.

Triggerplz | 22. Juli 2016

They probably can't charge at work because there is not a place to charge at work, DUH

vperl | 22. Juli 2016

Probably ? OK.

mikrhans | 22. Juli 2016

Simple visual: When the Tesla is out of juice it is a boat anchor.

vperl | 22. Juli 2016

With out enough information, speculation is great

porusshah | 22. Juli 2016

Thanks guys! Appreciate your input.
@Dcp9142 - seems like i might be cutting it close in winters. As you mentioned, not to use top 10%. Given that Tesla covers the battery warranty for 8 years, and would replace if the range dramatically reduced, why not charge to 100% everyday? Just wondering.
@bejachb - yes Model s 90d in that respect would be a more practical option. If only Model S had the big glass windscreen!

Thanks again!

rossRallen | 22. Juli 2016

I've driven both a Model S with ludicrous mode and my Model X, which is merely insane. The S couldn't get all the power to the road without acting squirrelly. The X is more fun to drive by a long shot. The view is better, and it is more versatile and comfortable.

And, get a P90D. You will love it.

Bradtc | 22. Juli 2016

All models have the range you need for your commute. Most people will always say get the biggest you can, but sometimes budgets don't always work that way. My first instinct is what kind of climate you live in? If you get freezing weather in the winter, then a 90 will be better. If you are in a mild climate, a 60 will work and you don't have to worry about charging to 100%, but a 75 will be better in case you want to do a side trip after work say. Or would you get seduced by the power, then a 90 will be better.
--------
Save US$1000 or Can$1200 on your new Tesla: http://ts.la/brad4061

elguapo | 22. Juli 2016

X90D or an S75D.

Dcp9142 | 23. Juli 2016

@porrusha

Tesla guarantee on battery is not that your range will not decline. Though the limits are not clearly defines, a 10% loss of range would most likely not get you a free replacement battery. The top 10% should be thought of as something to use when you really need it.

EternalChampion | 24. Juli 2016

Get the biggest battery you can afford. That's where the value is in the vehicle, as though your commute seems quite doable with a smaller battery, the unexpected trips/weather/driving conditions that require larger battery capacity are totally worth the upgrade to the biggest battery available.

joer293 | 02. August 2016

The charging efficiency decreases on LiON batteries in that last 90-100% charge. You'll pay more in electricity for the last few %. With 100% charge, the chargers are less efficient. They must reduce charging volt/amps, and run the battery temperature control system more to balance the cells.