Forums

Tsunami thread

Tsunami thread

Mike83 | November 13, 2016
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-13/urgent-powerful-quake-...
Hope he is OK and can add some sense to the free speech deniers who tend to be Climate Disruption deniers.
As had been said. You deniers now OWN Climate Disruption and will in the future be held accountable.
No one is laughing. It isn't a game. The problem is facts are ignored and scientists are the ones they laugh at. When the consequences escalate those who deny what is happening by burning fossil fuels will be held accountable.

https://scripps.ucsd.edu/programs/keelingcurve/wp-content/plugins/sio-bl...
Now going up and well over 400 ppm. Heading for a disaster.

Ross | November 13, 2016
My son and partner were in the quake in Wellington. They rang at midnight. They are OK.
Quakes: man made climate change? In New Zealand? Do you actually know anything about this, if not, dont (pun) take the high ground. Get a life.
Ross | November 13, 2016
BB lives on a hillside in Auckland, Mt Roskill, where the quake was felt but hundreds of miles from the epicenter.
Christchurch is still recovering from previous quakes and is of more concern than Auckland, being only 60 miles away. Look at a map?
However, @bb may have a story to tell.
I also have a small grand daughter in Wellington, havent heard from them yet.
My other son had a house in both Christchurch and Wellington, but recently sold them. The Chch one was damaged twice in the other quakes.
grega | November 13, 2016
Yes the quake is South Island, near Christchurch. The reports come mainly from Wellington interestingly. Auckland is a long way away.
You can tell it probably wasn't bad because they use the same 2 or 3 photos from helicopters, so not a lot of good pictures of destruction that the news likes. The Tsunami was a "1m surge" in water height, so some safety issues. 2 people dead as of an hour ago - one from a building collapse, the other had a heart attack.
johndoeeyed | November 13, 2016
Why should Climate Change deniers be concerned about these earthquakes? The consequences of Climate Change disasters are far greater and will occur for generations. You are actively, or passively, taking part in actions which will make these disasters occur, but do not care. Hypocrites.

@johndoeeyed
Good to hear your OK. On our vacation now. The future of civilization will be in the hands of the world apparently without the US except for the science educated states. State rules now.
SCCRENDO | November 13, 2016
@johndoe. Glad you are OK. However having visited New Zealand I am aware that Auckland and Christchurch are quite a distance away. Was in Chistchurch in 2005. It was an amazing city. That was before all the modern day earthquakes began. I can imagine how many great landmarks in such a wonderful city have been destroyed.
@climate change cynics. As best as we can tell earthquakes have nothing to do with climate change. The only reason it was brought up is because Johndoe has made some valuable contributions to this forum.That does not diminish from the harm of climate change. Why does climate change appear all the time. Because it is important and because even on a Tesla site we have have climate change denier and the occasional dimwit like Van Perley.
johndoeeyed | November 13, 2016
@Mike83
Thanks for that. Enjoy your holiday and try to forget about the future for life on earth for a while ;-)
SCCRENDO | November 13, 2016
@mike. Enjoy your vacation and keep us posted as to what you are doing
Mike83 | November 14, 2016
@johndoeeyed and @SCCRENDO Thanks. We're having a nice vacation. The Tesla is so much fun to travel in. No problems. I actually feel good in that we sounded the warning bell and we get called all kinds of bizarre names. They now own Climate Disruption.
I had a crazy idea. How about President Obama for Governor of California, the 5th largest world economy with its own treaties around the world.

We saw Doctor Strange in 3D and what a cool movie. Fighting the dark-side and other dimensions illustrated by fantastic 3D animations.
We have been bicycling and hiking and eating delicious foods. Its a great life We'll be spending time in the mountains and eventually head down to Monterey to visit the aquarium and eat sustainable food from the ocean.

Will try to post as often as we stop at Starbucks or other wifi places but it is a vacation priority.
I thank you guys for exposing the truth. Eventually it penetrates the hardest skulls.
The grin just won't go away ;-)

Found this thread was deleted. Here is some of it that might be important to some people.

Mike83 | 14. November 2016

You don't believe Climate Disruption effects Tsunamis?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/16/climate-change-tsunamis_n_37692...

SCCRENDO | 14. November 2016

Thanks Mike. Agreed climate change can cause tsunamis. Any link to earthquakes? Not trying to diminish the effect of tsunamis. Btw. did they flag your previous thread??

Mike83 | 14. November 2016

@SCCRENDO
The OP SilverP85plus deleted it. There are links on earthquakes. Yes. It appears to be related.

http://qz.com/681239/global-warming-wont-just-change-the-weather-it-coul...

Going back to enjoy our vacation. Wow the moon was big. Looking at the bigger picture is comforting.

SCCRENDO | 14. November 2016

Mike I would really like to see some science behind the earthquake connection. Will try google myself. Enjoy your vacation. Where are you now?

Mike83 | 15. November 2016

SCCRENDO.
Let me know what connections you find. My thoughts include with sea level rising, ice sheets melting and temperatures increasing the tectonic plates are more easily moved. The tectonic plates are always moving of course but have less friction due to liquids and we don't know what parts of the plates that have been without water will now move. Also less glaciers could mean more expansion of the magma.
We were planning to head into Oregon but have decided to stay in the California mountains for awhile as the hiking has been great.
I find this interesting but not possible ,in my mind ,although who knows? CA, OR, NV, WA want to make a independent country which may be part of Canada. No more tax subsidies to the Midwest and southern states to support fossil fuels. Science with freedom of religion would do well in the new progressive country. President Obama could even be elected. Pretty idealistic and dreaming but an interesting thought.

I just googled this and found this. Wow. It might be real. Still don't believe it can happen.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2179849/renegade-states-plan-to-pull-off-t...

SCCRENDO | 15. November 2016

Seems more like hypotheses than solid data at this point.
https://www.carbonbrief.org/can-climate-change-cause-earthquakes-we-look...
http://www.newsweek.com/nepal-earthquake-could-have-been-manmade-disaste...
http://dailycaller.com/2015/04/28/scientists-say-global-warming-will-cau...

There are 2 questions about leaving. Don't we need 2/3 of the vote from 2/3 of the states or something like that. In Addition. Nothing against Canadians but can't we just have a trade pact with them. Why join them. They may not be as environmental as we want them to be. Also what do they truly have to offer besides hockey. And the US hockey teams are beating them anyway

McLary | 15. November 2016

Canada was founded by loyalists, and wouldn't be interested in joining with a bunch of turncoats.

McLary. You can move to the mainland. Our new Republic will be based on liberal principles including climate change worship

@SCCRENDO
With Science research off the books and no evolution to believe I doubt if our Federal Government will investigate Climate Disruption but the EU, California(Cal Tech, UC Universities) could do some studies. Maybe they could recruit NASA and EPA scientists that get fired by the rulers.
Hockey is fun to watch. What is interesting is that the popular vote went to Clinton. I can see the slogans; No More Taxes to the Fossil Fuel companies like the Boston Tea party. Putin must be happy but McCain isn't. Very interesting developments. Not sure how the legal issues work but it is just fascinating that they are looking at an exit. Wow.

Mike I would prefer to be a spectator than part of the show. Brexit would have been fun to watch. But this adventure is ours.

Agree. We'll just have to repeat the previous 8 years of Republican rule(same guys again) and probably another recession and then they'll want someone to fix it again like Obama with everyone looking for hope.Oh the good ole days. I guess people have short terms memories and must enjoy the struggle. Back to living.

lilbean | 15. November 2016

George Washington is the only president who didn't blame the previous administration.

It seems California is subsidizing the other States and there is a referendum about it. It does seem they don't have equal representation and have some good points.

http://www.yescalifornia.org/

Silver2K | 15. November 2016

sure he did, that's why they went into war with them :)

lilbean | 15. November 2016

Oh duh! So... If there is a huge CA quake, will it break off and be an island?

Silver2K | 15. November 2016

no

McLary | 15. November 2016

You do realize that the USA is indivisible? There will be no referendum, ever. It is illegal. Could be considered treason even.

Any of you idiots ever actually take The Pledge of Allegiance?

@lilbean +10 for Washington comment

SCCRENDO | 16. November 2016

Mclary. In case you missed it we are actually kidding but actually there is a way secede. Extremely unlikely to succeed but is possible
http://www.yescalifornia.org/how_california_can_legally_secede_from_the_...

Mike83 | 16. November 2016

Abe Lincoln would be proud. Google this for a YouTube.

President Obama Delivers Remarks at the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center

Speaking of tectonic plates a new study claims that with the atmosphere warming it causes expanision of the lower levels preventing volcanic cooling to occur. We are really messing up the atmosphere and not sure how long it can take it

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/11/161116114217.htm

Mel. | 16. November 2016

Silver,
"that's why they went into war with them."

So you wrapped it up. Can anyone, except scc, explain what you are trying to say?

@Mel. What is wrong with my expalnations. Don't they teach you English in the Red States??

explanations

You know you're a Redneck when you cut your lawn and discover 5 old pickup trunk.
I won't go into the Global Warming jokes but it is quite a circus

Mel. | 16. November 2016

scc,
I knew you could not explain what he was saying. That is why I excluded you and I was right. You have no idea. Please give it a shot. Explain it.
Now you know that I live in Florida and Massachusetts.

@Mel. I was just being sarcastic. Yes I know you live in Florida and Massachusetts. I didn't try answer your question. What was it again??

Mel. | 16. November 2016

scc,
Thanks for not answering

NKYTA | 16. November 2016

Mel, he was indirectly pointing out that we went to war with the British. Playing it a bit fast and loose, but i had a chuckle.

You guys read too much into my statements. Looks like Mel is happy I didn't answer. However I still dont know the question.

Mike83 | 17. November 2016

More on the earthquakes and tsunami where Lord of the Rings was filmed.

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/new-zealands-tectonic-dragon-awak...

SCCRENDO | 17. November 2016

Thanks for posting Mike. The South Island of New Zealand is one of the most beautiful parts of the world. Spent a week there in 2005. Spent a few days in beautiful Christchurch. It must be tragic to witness the damage there now. Went to Milford Sound where Lord of the Rings was filmed. Although Johndoe is from the North Island (Auckland) I suspect he can provide us with good insights.

Mel. | 17. November 2016

NYKTA,
Yes , I had a grin .. had to ask if anyone else felt the same Thanks