Forums

Elon has a permanent seat at Trump's Table?

Elon has a permanent seat at Trump's Table?

Could be good news in the darkness that is Trump surrounding himself with pro-carbon, oil and gas industry proponents.

"(Reuters) - Elon Musk, the chairman and chief executive of SpaceX and Tesla as well as Uber Technologies CEO and co-founder Travis Kalanick and PepsiCo Chairman and CEO Indra Nooyi have joined U.S. President-elect Donald Trump's advisory council, Trump's transition team said on Wednesday.

The group, which includes numerous other top business leaders, aims to give industry input on the private sector to Trump, who takes office on Jan. 20."

SCCRENDO | 14. Dezember 2016

If true would be wonderful. Please post link. Although he also met with Al Gore. Bigger question is will he listen?

dyefrog | 14. Dezember 2016

I read it on Reuters. It looks real. There's hope after all.

mrbarnes | 14. Dezember 2016

Mollom isn't allowing me to post the links to the article - but it's on Reuters and also appears on Marketwatch

My fingers are crossed that Elon can be a positive persuasive influence on Trump.

Dramsey | 14. Dezember 2016

Mallon must like me:

http://thehill.com/policy/technology/310321-trump-names-elon-musk-uber-c...

Interesting, if I'd suggested a week ago that this would happen, I'd have been laughed off the forum.

I'm beginning to think Trump's biggest asset is his ability to surprise.

Damned autocorrect. MOLLOM.

@Dramsey. Thanks for the link. If Trump actually listens to Elon he deserves kudos.

SamO | 14. Dezember 2016

Since when has anyone doubted Drumpf would do, say or change any position. That guy makes flip flop jealous.

Before you know it he'll be against Pu$$y grabbing.

Tropopause | 14. Dezember 2016

No one is more convincing than Elon! Trump, prepare to be educated, Elon style!

"Since when has anyone doubted Drumpf would do, say or change any position."

You are too generous. Your statement should be:

"Since when has anyone doubted [any politician] would do, say or change any position."

SamO | 14. Dezember 2016

Donald Blumpkin was grovelling for Musk, Bezos and the others attention. Before you know it, Rex Tillerson will be pitching solar panels, batteries and a carbon tax. Again.

"Tillerson first showed support for the carbon tax in a 2009 speech, in which he called it “a more direct … a more transparent … and a more effective approach.”

“It avoids the costs and complexity of having to build a new market for securities traders or the necessity of adding a new layer of regulators and administrators to police companies and consumers,” Tillerson explained in his 2009 speech. “And a carbon tax can be more easily implemented. It could be levied under the current tax code without requiring significant new infrastructure or enforcement bureaucracies.”

He also said that a carbon tax wouldn’t need a large government to implement. “There should be reductions or changes to other taxes – such as income or excise taxes – to offset the impacts of the carbon tax on the economy,” he said in 2009.

In an October 2016 speech in London, Tillerson again explained why Exxon backs a carbon tax, essentially repeating his points from seven years ago.

“Replacing the hodge-podge of current, largely ineffective regulations with a revenue-neutral carbon tax would ensure a uniform and predictable cost of carbon across the economy. It would allow market forces to drive solutions,” Tillerson said in the October 2016 speech. “It would maximize transparency, reduce administrative complexity, promote global participation and easily adjust to future developments in our understanding of climate science as well as the policy consequences of these actions.”

http://heavy.com/news/2016/12/rex-tillerson-climate-change-global-warmin...

@Samo. Thanks for the link. He tries to come across as a climate change "moderate". To me this is a more sophisticated and dangerous form of denial. They admit that it is happening but downplay the severity and try use economic factors to excuse inaction. It's pretty clear which side of the argument he is on. The fox is guarding the hen house. I am also pretty skeptical about this advisory council. It's like inviting Romney out to dinner and leading him on. His cabinet appointments are pretty much all a disgrace. I look forward to him proving me wrong.

sabbia | 14. Dezember 2016

Hmmm. And President-elect Trump had dinner with Mitt Romney twice. Not concluding anything yet.

D.Lesikar | 14. Dezember 2016

@Samo. Thanks so much for the surprising-to-me info about Secretary-of-State nominee Rex Tillerson's support of a UnitedStates revenue-neutral carbon tax, such as British Columbia's.

Elon Musk, Bernie Sanders, and Al Gore have long advocated a carbon tax: https://www.carbontax.org/public-officials http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/must-read/why-we-need-a-carbon-tax . Such a tax would probably be the most effective way to reduce CO2 emissions 80-90% by 2050, and it would strongly support Tesla and other sustainable energy enterprises. My view is that the revenue neutrality should come mainly from reducing income and/or sales taxes on the middle class, with goal being revenue-neutrality for all classes: lower, middle, and upper.

sklancha | 14. Dezember 2016

I went snooping around the Hornets nest, to see what the Trump loyalists thought... In short: mixed emotions about Trump consort with Silicon Valley (since the valley did not kiss the ring), however they saw the genius of Trump's decision to draw on their private sector knowledge and success in growing jobs. Interestingly enough, the biggest concern they had was with Elon Musk. Worried that Elon might have 'hidden green agenda'.

RedShift | 14. Dezember 2016

Let's protect the human race from a cleaner environment! Down with Elon!

And these folks get more votes than me. That's only fair.

Ross1 | 14. Dezember 2016

A permanent seat?
Bah.
Until the Coll ege vote, or 4 years at most.

georgehawley.fl.us | 14. Dezember 2016

Elon has a secret agenda? That's like saying Trump has a brain.
Perry is his brain trust...

compchat | 14. Dezember 2016

@Scrrendope,

It is axiomatic that you are wrong. No proof necessary.

PrimeTime | 15. Dezember 2016

@compachat: You make my point (the thread about the state of evolution of our species) for me.

Ross1 | 15. Dezember 2016
SCCRENDO | 15. Dezember 2016

@Primetime +100

D.Lesikar | 15. Dezember 2016

@compachat: What are you saying is wrong about Sccrendo's comments? And, regarding your term "SccrenDOPE", is there a reason why you didn't learn in kindergarten that it's not ever acceptable to call people names?

Mel. | 15. Dezember 2016

D.L.,
What ? What grade are you in? Your counter argument might be considered third grade.

@D.Lesikar. +100
@Mel. You are also a troll but more polite than @compchat. You contribute nothing to the conversation except an occasional cameo popup trolling my comments and seemingly anyone who may agree or support me with your little snitty remarks. I don't see you getting into any serious interesting discussion where I am not. What has your comment got to do with the OP. Trolling would be a tactic to divert the topic. I guess if @compchat's comments are kindergarten I would put yours at about 5th grade but I am not an educator.

Now back to the topic. It is obviously good for Tesla and EVs and even climate change if Trump listens to Elon. But I remain pessimistic.

Dramsey | 15. Dezember 2016

Article in the WSJ today notes that Cook and Musk stayed after the main meeting for some private time with Trump.

Would love to have been a fly on that wall...

carlk | 15. Dezember 2016

Easy. How many jobs you can create. What kind of help you want from me. Screw those free market no government involvement fools. Yes you should be happy that you got what you wished for.

Ross1 | 15. Dezember 2016

Trump: Elon, you represent the smallest company here
Elon: Yep.
Trump: Toe my line or you wont be here again.

Thiel: Hey Elon , whats the next big thing?
Elon: Autonomous president. AI is gonna be really big.
Thiel: You are working on that?
Elon: Launching the trial soon. Testing on Mars.
Trump:I own that. Isnt that part of the Mayfair group? I have hotels on it. Rent...

Thiel: You are not playing Monopoly Donny. Hillary has more than you anyway.
Trump: Got here a Get Out of Jail Free card, wait, I did have..
Thiel: Hillary got it.

RedShift | 15. Dezember 2016

@carlk

:-) Probably accurate.

@carlk and redshift. One can only hope

Mel. | 16. Dezember 2016

SCC,
You know that I have tried to get into a rational discussion with you. You revert to name calling or posting silly links that have only opinion and zero facts.
We like Donald working with Elon.

D.L used an argument that only you would find acceptable

SCCRENDO | 16. Dezember 2016

@Mel. You are not being truthful. You have asked me many questions which I have answered truthfully and provide links which you seem to find objectionable. You have in fact been reluctant to share your opinions. But that is fine. It's your option. But ultimately that has left us very little to discuss. Lately most of your appearances have been in relation to a comment I made or someone has made about me. Many of your statements are false, some are just plain nasty but I guess not at the level of some others here. It's pretty obvious that most of your recent focus on these boards has been me. On the one hand I take it as a complement that I garner so much attention even if it is from the wrong people. However these snitty comments are obviously meant to distract from the main thread. You may feel what I say is name calling but I am just calling it what it is. It is trolling and that makes you a troll.

Mel. | 16. Dezember 2016

SCC,
I responded to DL
You I disregard as much as I can. Whenever I post you have to put your 2 cents in.
In the future try to stop yourself from being a retard.

@Mel. Nice little comment.

May I respectfully request the following. When you need to let off a little steam pick another target rather than me, including discussing me with others. I also prefer not communicating with you as I find you pretty disinteresting so I guess we would get mutual satisfaction with less interaction.

While I recognize your freedom under the 1st amendment to speak freely may I again respectfully request that when you make your little cameo pop ups you try stick to the topic at hand rather than divert.

bigd | 16. Dezember 2016

SCCRENDO | December 16, 2016 "@Mel. Nice little comment" No, no it wasn't. Here is my rant. I don't care if you are liberal or conservative. Using the term retarded is sorry and a cowardly act. I have worked with Special Olympics since my collage days. I cannot stand it when someone uses this term to be derogatory. It is simply a term for a persons IQ and something they are born with. Mel, you can call him ignorant or stupid or whatever, but stop using that term, Period..........

Bighorn | 16. Dezember 2016

+1 bigd

@bigd. +1. Well said

Of course you realize that I was just being sarcastic. As you have noted I have collected a bunch of stalkers over the past few months. And while I realize that most on this site are good smart people there are a bunch of lower intellect uncouth individuals that have started trolling the climate change sites. These were the ones that Hillary foolishly labeled the "basket of deplorables". In an open forum it is important to hear from everyone. But these individuals are pretty much here to troll. Unfortunately they don't have the knowledge and likely the intellect to hold their own in an intellectual discussion. So they resort to attempted insults. I pretty much take it from whence it comes. The best approach is to ignore them but at times they need to be called out. I don't even think Mel understands what he was saying. And frankly calling him out is probably a total waste of time.

bigd | 16. Dezember 2016

SCCRENDO "I was just being sarcastic." I understand,, just my personal rant.

RedShift | 16. Dezember 2016

@bigd

+1 Applaud you for standing up against a bad remark.

RedShift | 16. Dezember 2016

@scc

I have been trying to tell you man, some are just not worth responding to. Waste of time.

@Redshift. I agree with you. In my case though I must have turd on my shoes. I seem to really be attracting the flies. As much as one would like to ignore them at times you have to swat them. Mel for example started out by asking some reasonable questions. Possible has Tourette's though. Starts a discussion then interjects with a cuss word or insult. Has now descended to a new level. Was just trying to politely tell him to back off. But I agree. Probably futile.

Mel. | 17. Dezember 2016

So bigd has assumed leadership of the PC police.. will bigd be putting out a list of words that should not be used on this forum?

You know I will not be using that bad word again.

SCCRENDO | 17. Dezember 2016

@Mel. If you need PC police to correct you, your parents failed you. Unfortunately morality is likely to receive a severe setback under the new regime when the examples of the new Emperor are followed.

bigd | 17. Dezember 2016

Mel. | December 17, 2016
"You know I will not be using that bad word again." Thank you

Mel. | 18. Dezember 2016

bigd,
I want to let this die, but need to explain a couple of things.
Special needs children are children with special needs. Period.

Please look up the definition of this word that I will not use. I think you will find that it has nothing to do with any group of children. I know that Sarah Palin looks at this word like you do. I used it in the same as other use the t word or the m word or the i word.... I will be staying away from those also..

Glad that you have also worked with special needs children.

Sorry for continuing this sad discussion