Forums

Power Wall

Power Wall

Anyone know anybody who has a powerwall 2 installed i their home? I can't seem to get any answers on this product (I live in Washington). This wall is rapidly becoming a myth to me even though I gave them my $500 bucks almost 2 months ago. I submitted an email regarding my concerns with the installation of this product at my home but I only seem to get TESLA spam in return.

N7RZBModel3 | 28. Mai 2017

PJDoty: What part of our world do you live in? I.e., are the installers getting closer to me.....

PJDoty | 28. Mai 2017

I'm in No. California. Installers told me they've done a couple dozen so far.

Tesla-David | 29. Mai 2017

@PJDoty, thanks for the feedback on your Powerwall-2 installation. Where do you live? I have been completely frustrated by my interactions with Tesla regarding when we might get our Powerwall-2 installation in Edmonds, WA. However, it is great to hear that you are pleased with the results thus far. I know three solar vendors here who are trying to get training for the Powerwall installations, but Tesla will not respond to their requests for that training, and no-one will give me a straight answer on when we in the Northwest will get some attention.

Tesla-David | 29. Mai 2017

Oops, missed your last post stating you live in northern California.

kkm757 | 29. Mai 2017

I finally had my Powerwall2 and solar panels installed about 4 weeks ago after a 2+ year wait; a team of about 7-8 people came for the day, but there were a number of misses including lack of communications, team leads not showing up on time, incorrect / adequate tools (!) and last minute design changes which all required me to step in very directly and ensure i had the lead guys attention. The process to switch on was also somewhat bungled and no info provided on how to manage the Powerwall itself. Overall seems to be a good product, but a lot of unnecessary back-and-forth that are very frustrating

PJDoty | 29. Mai 2017

Sounds like some of the early installation customers are on the leading edge of Tesla's learning curve. Even my installation wasn't without glitches. But I am confident that they'll work these things out. I suspect there are a lot of liability issues regarding the installation, and I know that here in N. CA all installs are through Solar City (Tesla).

Tesla-David | 30. Mai 2017

@kkm757, great to hear about another Powerwall-2 installation. Where do you live? I am trying to gage where all these installations are happening. My obvious concern is getting some attention for Powerwall-2 customers in NW Washington. I have been waiting for 1+ years, having started the process with the earlier Powerwall-1 configuration.

kkm757 | 30. Mai 2017

@tesla-David I'm in westchester ny and you guys are right, this Is a new product for Tesla/Solarcity, and the installation and customer service and sales people seem pretty clueless about what to do or say. My powerwall was installed four weeks ago, with no additional information about when the system would go live, and no instructions on how to access the powerwall settings – just found out there is no app available yet

evan | 31. Mai 2017

I am in Tysons, VA. On May 20, we had our Powerwall 2 installed finally, and it works awesome!

Six vehicles and a team of 7 installers spent almost a whole day on installation. Quality control is super amazing. I inspired the process and love the product. I also learn that it limits 100 amps to feed Model S/X unless you install minimum 4 of Powerwall II (30 amps each).

Thanks to Nic, John A, John E, Watson, Mike, and Ben as well as the special Tesla guest who-in-a-secret-mission. Nic, you have an excellent team! I am still waiting for a survey to give you folks a Five golden stars rating. Not sure how to share my pictures from here.

Looking forward to the firmware updates thou. Because I need to be able to schedule on the power sources or it would defeat the purpose. I took a few pictures to appreciate the efforts.

As Paul mentioned, be patient. This is an amazing product worth the wait! Good luck!

Evan

evan | 31. Mai 2017

Forgot to mention the coordinator: Justin.

Tesla-David | 31. Mai 2017

Thanks @evan, I hear your positive message, and am trying to be patient. I am very much looking forward to getting our installation done ASAP. Thanks to all for posting their experiences. Very helpful to get this feedback.

kkm757 | 31. Mai 2017

Hi @evan - did you have to do anything special to connect via App to your Powerwall? Solarcity customer service is truly Clueless about the battery and how its supposed to work, or even how to access its settings... They're telling me its a big dumb battery that I can't monitor

Dcp9142 | 01. Juni 2017

Still waiting on mine. Concierge called yesterday to say they have not forgotten me, permits are still awaiting approval and they do not know when the needed parts will arrive. Clearly not ready for mass-market adoption with this level of customer service. To be worth expanding they need to track progress from a website, give real dates for the steps in the process, know when parts can be expected, and support the building permit process so that this new technology gets permitted smoothly. And follow up with the permitting authorities regularly.

psusi | 01. Juni 2017

@mark.willing, why on earth would you need to upgrade to 200 amp service?

mark.willing | 01. Juni 2017

@psusi, my plans are for 2 Powerwalls,...and eventually, a charger for an EV. I have 150A service, room for another double-pole circuit breaker, which is what the Powerwall requires, I am told 30A. However, I have 415A worth of circuit breakers in that service box already,...granted it is extremely unlikely I would be using any more than 100A of that at any given moment during peaks. I am sure there are electrical codes limiting the amount of breakers, and I am likely pushing or exceeding that limit already. We'll see what the requirements are for 2 Powerwalls, but throw in an EV charger, and I am sure that puts me way over the 150A capacity, even for circuit breaker placement. I was planning on having whole house back-up, but I need to speak with a professional regarding the addition of an auto-start generator to charge the batteries during the winter snows, whether or not I could get away with a back-up service box, and/or set the Powerwalls up for load-sharing, which may allow the batteries to charge up from the grid. I still have a lot questions regarding some of those details.

ddkilzer | 03. Juni 2017

Reserved four Powerwall 2 units on May 19. Wish I would not have waited so long to reserve them! Could others post the time between your order and installation?

I've been hugely disappointed with contact from Tesla prior to and after the reservation. I filled out the "contact me about Powerwall" form on the website multiple times (never had a callback after PW2 was announced), and I visited a Tesla store in N. California the week before I reserved, filled out a form on an iPad for them to call me back, but never heard back from them. Haven't heard anything since I made my reservation. (The tesla.com website didn't even list my reservation until the most recent update for the "streamlined" Model S/X configurator ahead of the Model 3 pre-orders, and it still doesn't show how many units I reserved--just my reservation code.) After I stopped by the same Tesla store to ask them what the next steps were after my reservation, I learned that they're only helping customers who want to order both solar roof tiles (or panels?) and Powerwall together, but not Powerwalls alone, and they had no specific information to share with me other than someone would call me at some point to talk about installation. (I have a Sunrun solar installation from 2013 that generates 20 kW per day in the summer at peak.)

I'm willing to be patient, but I'd feel better if I had some general idea of a timeline instead of just having to wait indefinitely for a callback. (Of course, I put a deposit down in May 2015 for a Model X and waited nearly a year to get it, but I think Elon at least gave occasional updates via Twitter on MX.)

Tesla-David | 04. Juni 2017

@ddkilzer, your frustration is shared by many others. I waited over three years for my first MS delivered on 1/2/13, so your year long wait for your MX is appreciated. I placed my Powerwall-2 order last October, and am still waiting for feedback on when they will be doing installs in the NW (Edmonds, WA). You live in Northern CA, and they are doing installs in your part of the state, so be patient, and eventually you will get your installation. As @kkm757 and @evan have stated above it takes time to roll out this new product after Tesla/SolarCity acquisition. I keep pushing Tesla to get their act together and provide the necessary training to qualified vendors for the installation. I, like you am trying to be patient, although they need to do much more in providing feedback to waiting customers on what is going on and expected installation dates.

mbround4 | 04. Juni 2017

I have an existing solar panel system that I installed with the help of a friend. There are 15 X 275 watt panels that supply power to Xantrex Power Controlers to charge a 48 volt battery system. I have three parallel banks of 48 volt batteries that supply power to a Xantrex 6.1 Hybrid inverter. Would I need additional equipment to connect a 10 KW Power Wall battery? My present battery system is composed of 24 X 6 volt lead acid batteries. These work well, but I find that I actually create more power than I can store. So when I need to replace the lead acid batteries what will I need to install the PowerWall?

so in the coming years when I have to replace these batteries, how difficult would it be to put up one 10 KW Power Wall?

Tesla-David | 04. Juni 2017

@mbround4, they no longer sell the 10 kWh Powerwall batteries. The new Powerwall-2 battery is 14 kWh (actually 13.5 kWh). I don't see any difficulties based on your summary, but I am not an electrician. contact Tesla to confirm.

Earl and Nagin ... | 04. Juni 2017

@mbround,
My understanding is that Powerwall 2 is AC to AC. It sits between your service panel and your meter so that it stores AC from your solar array and pushes AC into your normal home electrical system.
You should have no problem putting in a Powerwall 2. I expect to know more when we get our system though.

@mbround,
My understanding is that Powerwall 2 is AC to AC. It sits between your service panel and your meter so that it stores AC from your solar array and pushes AC into your normal home electrical system.
You should have no problem putting in a Powerwall 2. I expect to know more when we get our system though.

@mbround,

psusi | 06. Juni 2017

@mark.willing, the powerwall has both an input and an output. The input needs to be connected to mains to recharge it, and the output to a sub panel with your critical loads on it. Since that sub panel will have presumably 30 amps of circuits transferred to it from the main, there will be no net change on your main panel.

@mbround4, the powerwall will either be a total replacement for the Xantrex, or you will have to split off some of your circuits to run off of the powerwall, and the rest from the Xantrex.

kkm757 | 08. Juni 2017

Suggest you all ENSURE you know what Powerwall they plan to install. I've only just learned they 'designed' me a DC Powerwall (which is being discontinued Globally) and which i cannot access / review or configure with an App. I'm very unhappy about being sold a "dumb battery" and particularly unhappy that its proving so hard to get the attention of someone who has the responsibility or accountability to help resolve the issue

nle415 | 08. Juni 2017

To anyone who has a Powerwall already installed. I just got mine installed yesterday by SolarCity/Tesla Energy. The technicians explained to me that the software does not yet exist to do the things I thought it could already do, namely, solar self-consumption, load shifting, and you know, actually powering your home. He said at this moment, the only thing the Powerwall can do is act as back up power in case of grid failure. He tested it by turning off the main power to my house. Power switched over to Powerwall. That worked well, the lights didn't even flicker.

I've read comments on this forum and others that lead me to believe that a lot of that functionality was already available. The tech said not until firmware updates come out. The first one should be out around June 9 (tomorrow).

Are people out there already using this functionality? If so was it the tech that was misinformed? And how did you access this functionality. The Tesla app does not have any of this stuff in it yet.

nle415 | 16. Juni 2017

Looks like the Powerwall software update just dropped today! Solar self consumption now enabled in app. Can't wait to test it out tonight.

spmeister | 16. Juni 2017

My dual PowerWall 2 installation was completed on Tuesday. Northern Virginia as well. It was a very nice surprise to find the app had updated this morning!

I've configured it to reserve 50% for outages, and I set up my EVSE to only charge my EV (2017 Bolt) between 11PM and 7AM, so that the evening hours the battery is powering the house rather than charging the car.

Everything seems to be working properly so far, although when I scroll down on the Energy Usage page with Solar highlighted, it's not showing any value for Solar Energy. It does show the panels producing in the graph, so I'm assuming that's just a bug in the app.

Uncle Paul | 16. Juni 2017

Looks like Tesla is designing this on the run, in order to roll it out as fast as possible.

While everyone wants to see the units bolted onto their walls and every aspect being thought out in advance, there are tons of things that need to be done behind the curtain.

Before your local installer can be authorized, Tesla must first train the trainers. They need to lay out specifications, brochures, training manuals, source tools & equipment, source the product, get everything honed into a smooth operating system, that will be able to handle a wide range of needs.

Then they need to see what they can produce, and cherry pick those potential customers that are ready to go, have their finances firmed up, are ready to start now, don't have a ton of "what if" questions, and have the governmental approval to proceed.

They need to ramp up slowly, so they can get immediate feed back to see what is working, and what needs additional work.

They also don't want to spread themselves out all over the country, but keep things manageable in case issues arise.

They also want to super integrate all the energy controls into a single app, that will allow the end users, and Tesla to tweak their systems as additional information becomes available.

While this forum mostly concerns private, home user customers, they also are in process to provide for corporate and governmental customers, who are looking at systems thousands of times larger than a typical home owner.

I would imagine that they are looking at how they might be able to bring an owners Tesla into the mix, as it already has a large battery they might be able to integrate into the system.

Lots to do...lots to do.

mark.willing | 17. Juni 2017

"Before your local installer can be authorized, Tesla must first train the trainers. They need to lay out specifications, brochures, training manuals, source tools & equipment, source the product, get everything honed into a smooth operating system, that will be able to handle a wide range of needs."

This is where Tesla totally dropped the ball. This should have been completed back in October-November of 2016, and ready to go for installer training in December-January of 2017. I don't know of any major company that would roll out a brand new product without getting their team ready prior to production. Amazing. Right now,...there is a back log of potential installer applicants waiting for training,...many have been on the list since January and have heard nothing from Tesla. As a customer, I was basically told from Tesla, the wait for me is "indefinite" and I am free to cancel my orders.

"One does not plan to fail, one only fails to plan."

Haggy | 17. Juni 2017

I don't have immediate plans to get a Powerwall but am close to getting solar. Would I be correct in assuming that since it hooks up between a gateway and the meter that there's nothing special I need to consider when getting the solar installed, or is there anything I should consider at the time of solar installation that would make Powerwall installation easier at a later date?

nle415 | 19. Juni 2017

First 2 weeks with Powerwall. I've a neighbor who's impatiently waiting for his phone call. To all you guys who are waiting, you aren't missing anything. It is not ready for primetime. The app is slowly adding functionality daily, however, none of the functionality works just yet. I was thrilled to see the software seemingly add solar-consumption support but 3 days later, it's still not working. Overall, the app is extremely buggy and frequently disconnects. I get a connection error about 3 out of 4 times I open the app. The Powerflow component is completely useless. It definitely took a big step back as Powerflow was one of the things that worked pretty well.

On a good note: Yesterday we reached triple digit temperatures in Northern California. Everybody in my community had AC blasting. This caused a blackout. I was getting texts from neighbors, some wanting to confirm there was a blackout and some wanting to know if my Powerwall kicked in. I said "what blackout?" with a huge grin on my face.

A funny thing about my Powerwall's first foray as backup power, the techs told me definitely that it would not run the AC, only essentials like outlets, fridges, etc. But I kept my AC blasting all throughout the blackout. Took in some neighbors too so they wouldn't have to suffer in the heat.

mark.willing | 19. Juni 2017

"...the techs told me definitely that it would not run the AC, only essentials like outlets, fridges, etc. But I kept my AC blasting all throughout the blackout."

Obviously, it depends upon the AC system, and whatever else has been done to make the home more efficient. I just replaced my AC system in Aug. 2016 with a high-efficiency, variable speed unit. It resulted in a major difference in power consumption. Even the variable speed blower fans on these newer furnaces are really good on power, and super quiet,...you can hardly hear them run when standing right next to them.

The way I've got my AC programmed, it really doesn't kick into "full cool mode" until after 5pm when the programmed target temperature drops,...way past peak solar hours. I checked my electric meter one day after 5pm,...AC blasting away,...meter still running backward. Granted, it was a sunny day, but the point being if the home is efficient, then it can make most out of the solar panels and battery back-up. Maybe,...one won't need to create an "essential circuit" service box for the Powerwall.

I have data from my Consumer's Power web site. Before the changes in the home,...I had periods of peak power consumption of nearly 6kW per hr. Afterward,...the peaks were about 2.5kW per hr. So, I have no worries about using the Powerwall for whole home back-up.

Now, if I can only find someone to install my Powerwalls. Grrrrr.

N7RZBModel3 | 21. Juni 2017

mark.willing Interesting comments on your replacement AC unit. Mine was installed in 6/2002, a Carrier 12 seer unit. It's noisy, and I've considered replacing it for efficiency and noise reasons. Presume you did though research before replacing your old unit. What were your eventual decision criteria? I, too, intend to run mine off a Powerall 2 and my 20 solar panels.

stevenli | 22. Juni 2017

@nle415 - interested to see how your system is configured with PV -- we jumped into reservation last week with PW2 to add to our 3.8kw + solaredge system. Looks like the design of PW2 is different from PW1 where the gateway controller sits between Main box and meter. I'm guessing there's a connector between the gateway and PW2 to know when to discharge the PW2 into home.

My hope that you can also program the PW2 WHEN to charge and discharge to optimize the TOU rates -- charge at night; and discharge at peak times .

I'm wondering if you have only 1 PW2 unit, when was the blackout. your PV + PW2 combined could be the reason for the sustained ability to deliver enough supply for the demand of AC + home load.

mark.willing | 22. Juni 2017

N7RZBModel3, re AC units. Carrier offers residential AC units up to 21 seer. I ended up with the 19 seer unit. I think what makes these units so efficient is the variable/multi speed operation. The variable/kmulti speed operation also minimizes the high power on/off situation,...it can run on a "low idle", keeping the home at a steady temperature, it is super quiet, and very low power consumption. I am very happy so far. I know there are other makes of AC units, so I am not going to promote one over the other, but the key feature is the the high seer rating with the variable/multi-speed operation.

I would say similar things about forced air furnaces,...look for the highest efficiency rating with a variable/multi speed blower fan. You won't be disappointed spending the extra money. It makes a big difference.

nle415 | 24. Juni 2017

@stevenli you guess right. That's exactly how it's set up. They added a new panel too. goes to the existing subpanel (where the PV breakers are). For now, my Powerwall is a brick. Been having ongoing technical difficulties with it. It does not do solar self-consumption. It doesn't charge or discharge. So far haven't had any luck with Tesla technical support. They tell me it's been escalated to tier 2. To anyone waiting, there's definitely a lot of kinks to work out still.

paul | 27. Juni 2017

In reading the initial comments I can tell everyone that after applying for and paying the $500 I did not expect to hear from Tesla for more than a year. Then withing 6-8 months I was contacted and I got on their radar/schedule things begin to happen quickly and efficiently. In between completing the application and the installation I was equally frustrated with the limited amount of available information as I was remodeling our home and wanted to put rough-ins for when the PW became available. I knew where I wanted to install the battery so I put conduit from that point to our electrical panel. I had the conduit size and stub-out at the point of the PW mounting location based on information I found on the internet which indicated it was located at the bottom center of the battery. However, after the installers arrived I learned that information was from an earlier version as the PW2 connection is located at the upper-left corner (when looking at the battery from the front). Needless to say we had to break into the drywall to move the conduit (which it was at least the correct size), but this could have been avoided if Tesla would just distribute a little more information. The other item I was not aware of is you need another space that is about the same foot print as the PW2 itself for the automatic switch panel, sub-panel and junction box(es). While I found space and everything worked out fine, for planning purposes on my part this was disappointing and frustrating.

I live in San Diego and on June 2, 2017 a team of 4 installers came as scheduled to install our PW2. Fortunately, they called and asked to come to the site the previous Friday to perform and on-site evaluation which was extremely helpful for both them and us. Our Installation took 4 installers all of June 2 and 3 to complete and they were very professional, knowledgeable, courteous and did a very nice job. I believe we were the 5th installation in San Diego?
Tesla is installing even as development continues and while my PW was fully installed on June 3 it took an extra week for Tesla engineers to push out a new software update before our unit went live on June 9. A week or less after that my Tesla App updated and I had the flexibility to choose if I wanted the PW2 to be strictly back-up, a combination of a back-up and daily use where I designate what percentage is reserved for back up and what is used for daily use or I can have the PW discharge daily and then recharge the next day. As of today everything has been working flawlessly.

What I am not sure about yet is whether it is better to use the PW daily or just push the extra power to the grid. Before the PW my electric use was negative. At this time of the year when the sun is optimal with the PW in use my last weeks average for powering our home was 30% solar, 31% PW with the remaining coming from the grid. The interesting part of the PW is when it is not in back-up mode the battery is literally supplying power to the entire house which includes a SPA, air conditioner and everything else and it can do this for about 5-6 hours before getting down to the 25% reserve I have set. However, if the PW is used solely as a back-up, when the battery kicks in it is not supplying power to anything above 30AMPs such as an EV charger, Air Conditioner or a SPA (which in our case is 60AMPs). I am not sure if Tesla has accounted for this...

I hope more information becomes available soon so I know what is the optimal way of utilizing our setup. I am still totally stoked it how all this is working!

Tesla-David | 28. Juni 2017

@nle415, great to hear how you weathered the blackout with your PW2, and @paul about your recent installation. Hearing positive stories like yours and others fortunate enough to have gotten your PW2 installations is the only thing keeping me hopeful. I am still unable to get any feedback from Powerwall division on when they might be installing in Washington State. They simply ignore my requests for information. Very frustrating to have been waiting since last October without any positive feedback.

nle415 | 02. Juli 2017

To anyone waiting on a Powerwall, I strongly suggest you get ethernet running to where the gateway is going to be installed. In my case it's right next to the Powerwall in my garage. I would have saved myself a lot of headache if I had that to begin with. My PW was a very expensive shiny brick for the past 2 weeks. Right now, I have a powerline device in the garage. For now it's good enough, no communication errors since Tesla/SolarCity came out to re-commission my Powerwall 2 days ago. They still strongly recommended that I get a ethernet cable hardwired into the gateway. They tell me that is the number one cause of their service calls. My home network is pretty robust with ethernet in every room and very strong wifi. Except of course in my garage. So my next project is to fish some ethernet into the garage to hardwire the gateway. However, it still not working right. I was able to do solar self consumption after it was recommissioned but it failed in the night. Now it's a brick again. Doesn't charge, doesn't discharge. But at least it's communicating. Sigh.

dsteal | 02. Juli 2017

I'm considering adding SolarCity panels to my roof including a Powerwall. I'm told that the Powerwall can help charge my Model S. I don't quite get that since it doesn't have enough capacity? Also, is it correct that I cannot plug the car directly into the Powerwall? I still need a Nema 14-50 or similar right?

Anyone care to refer me for SolarCity? Seems to be a win-win for referrals. If you can comment on your experience and payoff with SolarCity compared to non-solar that would be appreciated as well.

nle415 | 07. Juli 2017

There was an update to the app. My Powerwall is working flawlessly now! Solar self-consumption is working and no communication errors. Took about a month, numerous calls for tech support and they had to roll a truck out for re-commissioning but all is well now. Looks like they are ironing out the kinks. I'd still suggest anyone waiting to get ethernet out to where you plan on installing. Or have a really strong wifi signal.

Dcp9142 | 07. Juli 2017

June 16: Tesla:
Congratulations on your recent purchase of your Powerwall! Our on-site electrician will work with you on day of install to discuss the exact placement of your equipment. Your final installed Powerwall product will meet the utility and Authority Having Jurisdiction’s codes and requirements. Laid out below is a specified equipment layout of what will be installed at the end of this process, as well as an estimated install cost of your Powerwall unit(s).

June 27, me: Well, June is almost over. The building permit was issued May31, so what is holding this project up now? When is install scheduled?

June 27: Tesla: We are working with PGE regarding the main panel upgrade

June 27, me: Thank you. Estimated time of completion? You have had several months for that.

June 27, Tesla: Believe me when I say we all would very much like for these Powerwalls to be installed quickly. The utility companies, have dragged their feet, permitting offices have dropped the ball, and our install crews didn’t ramp up as quickly as we would have liked. As with every other job that I have that is frustratingly progressing at a glacial rate, if there is a task I need to complete its done the moment I get it.

The bit of good news I have received, is that your conditional approval for the SGIP has a dollar amount now, should the program select you.

July 7, me: 45 days after building permit approval, about 75 days after design complete. Current status/excuses?

July 7, Tesla: You are on scheduling’s radar now. The bill of materials is being compiled and you are set to enter the que 7/10

Above posted to show how this is currently working. Many months after site visit, they are compiling a bill of materials? Long after full engineering and final costs and paperwork.

To anyone contemplating a powerwall, I say, "warning, this is a hobby for Tesla, not a serious mass market consumer project. It will take an unbounded number of months to maybe get the product installed and working. Communications are poor. Nobody can tell you the process or where you are in it. It makes buying a Tesla car look like a quick and smooth process."

Earl and Nagin ... | 08. Juli 2017

@Dcp9142,
regarding "It makes buying a Tesla car look like a quick and smooth process".
You're comparing buying a Tesla car in 2017, after 9 years of delivering cars with buying a Powerwall the first year they are selling them.
Why would you think the Powerwall is a mature "mass market consumer project"?
It is a brand new industry that's been around for only a couple of years and they are fighting against entrenched regulated monopolies who get a say in what Tesla does.
Would you prefer that Tesla does what the rest of the world does which is nothing (or hand wringing) because it is too hard?

Frunkensteen | 08. Juli 2017

Agreed. EXTREME patience is required with Tesla and beware the Tesla 'hubris'! Just returned from a Tesla Weekend Social in SLC, UT. They were very proud of the dozens of Powerwall installations they claimed to have completed & are being worked locally at the meeting. I showed them my three Powerwall confirmations over 2+ yrs, and the response was "Tesla is prioritizing orders with both Powerwall2 & Solar Roof". Pretty lame. Having lived the Model X wait fiasco (1-year), I feel sorry for the Solar Roof customers.
My first Powerwall (V.1) was confirmed May 2015 (2+ yrs ago). Deliveries were to begin August 2015 in "select cities and nationwide by October (2015)". Then the dreaded Tesla silence. Over-hyped & NEVER delivered. My next Powerwall 2 reservation (more energy storage & an AC inverter!) was confirmed by Solar City January 4, 2017. Thought maybe they'd deliver. More silence. Reordered June 2017. Finally received an actual TESLA confirmation number July 1, 2017 and a contact! I took the requisite pictures, filled out online forms, etc. Now the wait begins AGAIN ...

Ian.rudge | 08. Juli 2017

Well I'm based in uk. Ordered my PW2 about 6 weeks ago and it was installed 2 weeks ago. The first gateway wouldn't connect to the net correctly and installer replaced it next day.

Software up and running but only with monitoring functionality no configuration as far as I can see.

All in all a good experience

Borsh | 10. Juli 2017

Vermont state resident. Green Mountain Power (GMP) was the first utility to partner with Tesla on the powerwall 1. IMHO GMP/Tesla did not train anyone to speak intelligently about the technology, installation or support of that product. The deal was an individual could purchase the PW1 outright for about $6K, Lease it for $30 or so per month, and there was a power sharing deal as well. keep it all for yourself, or let GMP backfeed the grid on off peak hrs for which they would credit your account some $36 per month. Payback and knowledge just weren't there in my opinion at that time. This was early 2016.

Now GMP / Tesla are pushing the PW2. Buy it for $1500 or payment plan of $15/month (100 months or 8.3 years to reach the $1500 payout. Nothing published about power sharing etc as was with PW1. Filled out inquiry on GMP page back in March. No reply to date. Filled out second inquiry last week, Received email saying "Tesla representative" would be in touch towards end of summer. We will see.

Still long Tesla/Solar City, et al. Model 3 reservation holder, prob going to get a CPO Model S before this winter. 85/90D with auto pilot hardware. Some are available now in $70K range. Not too shabby.

Tesla-David | 10. Juli 2017

@ian.rudge, I am envious of your quick PW2 installation after ordering, as I have been waiting for more than 9 months. Tesla Powerwall confirmed to me three days ago that they will finally be reaching out to customers in areas like mine, which have not had any installations, NW (Edmonds, WA) to begin installations. It has been one long wait, but I waited three long years for my first MS delivered on 1/2/13, so I understand that it takes time to get things going after the Solar City acquisition.

Tesla-David | 10. Juli 2017

Oops, I meant to say they expect that outreach to begin in September of this year.

Coastal Cruiser. | 10. Juli 2017

Helpful thread! Thanx to early adopters for sharing their experience, and nice to see the bugs getting worked out.

Having just completed a 3.6kW home brew solar system, with all the associated and unexpected costs, I am blown away at the price per kWh of the PW2. As far as I can tell by running the numbers, I will never do another DIY system because the PW2 is twice as economical. I can't believe it but that is what my Excel spreadsheet tells me.

Using the high side of the estimated installation cost quoted on Tesla's Powerwall page ($2,000), a single 13.2kWh (usable per Tesla Energy) PW2 seems to come in at $8200 (including the "additional hardware", which from perusing threads seems to be the phone-home gateway). That's $621 per kilowatt hour.

The cost per kilowatt hour of the equivalent components of my $7800 5.9kWh DIY system (inverter, charge controller, battery management, LiFePO4 batteries, wiring panel, etc.) is $1331. And I'm frugal.

$1331 vs $621 per kWh for a system that you can (at least one day) set-and-forget. An all-in-one unit, no complex installation, no extra 'cosmetic' dollars spent to keep the system from looking like Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory, no worries about the battery management system?

Wow.

Any PW2 owners agree or disagree with the $2000 install estimate?

nle415 | 10. Juli 2017

@Coastal_Cruiser my install was $800, which I believe was the minimum install amount. It took 8 guys 8 hours to do it. It was done by Tesla Energy/SolarCity. I'm sure they lost money on the install. Quite a few of the guys on site were trainees though.

Pages