Forums

Double vision - ghosting issue

Double vision - ghosting issue

Didn't see lot of topic talking about ghosting issue on mx, does this mean no one expericing same issue as me???

My windshield has terriable ghosting issue, I can see double and triple light on oncoming and tail light on front vehicles.

Went to service center, they told they test with special tool and it's within standard, they didn't do road test that I asked.

I didn't know this issue before I order it, and my DS at the time of delivery didn't tell this issue. No where on tesla website says double vision issue, they continue telling how great views are on this big windshield.

If I have been noticed of this issue before ordering, I won't buy for sure. It's the biggest issue for me right now. I will find out way to shot video and warning any other future buyers.

It's 100D built mid of April.

Tesla FRAUD.

YOU SHOULD NOTICE SOMEWHERE "THIS WINDSHIELD MAY CAUSES DOUBLE VISION"

Model_D | 13. Mai 2017

There have been many topics on this on this website. Haven't seen one for a while. It seems to be worse on some vehicles and some people seem to be more susceptible to it. Others have had it measured and have a new windshield.

Every piece of glass ever made or will be made can suffer from double vision. Your other cars have it too, just nowhere near as bad.

JAnnen | 13. Mai 2017

I claim all Model X cars have this issue, and I agree with you "It's the biggest issue."

Some people don't notice the problem. I didn't notice it until I drove at night. Now it bothers me all the time -- Day and night.

The service center test measures the SEPARATION of the images. The separation is a function of the angle and thickness of the windshield. The separation test was designed by somebody who doesn't want to understand the problem. The problem isn't the separation of the images. THE PROBLEM IS THE INTENSITY OF THE SECONDARY IMAGE.

I wear polarized fishing eyeglasses during the day which does a great job in minimizing the secondary image. The secondary image has the opposite polarization of the polarized glasses so the secondary image is almost eliminated. The separation is still the same, but the image is almost gone.

Tesla needs to change the index on refraction of the windshield to reduce the intensity of the secondary image. Another option would be to add a polarizing sheet the laminations of the windshield.

All polarized eyeglasses included tint which makes them too dark for night driving.

I love my MX, but I HATE that secondary image. "It's the biggest issue."

lilbean | 13. Mai 2017

This is a problem in many makes. Corvette, VW, Mercedes.

JAnnen | 13. Mai 2017

There is an advantage of adding a polarizing sheet to the laminations of the windshield glass. The image would travel through the polarizing sheet THREE TIMES before the secondary image is seen. The tertiary image would travel through the polarizing sheet FIVE times before it's seen.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/ghosting.84369/#post-1922002
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/any-updates-on-ghosting-issues.8...
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/temporarily-solution-s-to-ghosti...
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/is-tesla-replacing-ghosting-wind...

PedanticOne | 13. Mai 2017

I have it, but I also don't care all that much. It doesn't bother me. In fact, most times I don't even notice it. Do I wish it wasn't there? Yes. Will I get all on Tesla's case about it? No. I did ask them to measure the amount of separation when it was at the SC and they said it was within spec (I assumed they'd say this). Sounds to me like the standards body that maintains that spec needs to perhaps revise it as to what's 'tolerable' by drivers. Also, other cars have this, not just Tesla. Does that make it OK? No. But it's not a uniquely Tesla problem is my point.

campusden | 14. Mai 2017

I must be used to it. It doesn't bother me at all.

Lubdub | 14. Mai 2017

I see it too but have gotten used to it so only an issue when I really look for it
try putting on yellow polarized glasses made for night driving.
they help with the glare and get rid of the ghosts.
find them anywhere especially Amazon

Rajkrishnan9 | 14. Mai 2017

All crap

Jama | 14. Mai 2017

All crap all right. I don't see any ghost in my X.

judy-nie | 14. Mai 2017

true, i love my mx as well, but i dont feel good when driving at night.
i opinion is for tesla is, please add notice on website to notice other buyers.
PLUS
alot people say they dont have ghost issue.

eric.zucker | 14. Mai 2017

I have it too. I don't mind it anymore, I got used to it.

It depends on how tall you are. If I look just above the steering wheel there is no ghosting, and the higher my eyes the more pronounced it is.

Daytime is not an issue, only bright dots at night.

cynika | 15. Mai 2017

This definitely varies by car. Ours (end of March 2017 delivery) is bad enough that the world appears to wobble as I move my head, even during the day. I can also see ghosting from daytime running lights or sunlight reflecting off oncoming cars. It's far worse than any of the cars I test drove, so I plan to have it checked out at the SC.

rdfbsmith | 16. Mai 2017

No Ghost here MX 90D

mathwhiz | 17. Mai 2017

Never noticed it, even though I've heard plenty about it.

judy-nie | 18. Mai 2017

i adjusted seat to highest and lowest, nothing help to me.

and cynika
please post information when you back from SC.

mikyungl | 19. Mai 2017

I have it, too

rainman50 | 11. August 2017

Response to:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JAnnen | May 13, 2017

I claim all Model X cars have this issue, and I agree with you "It's the biggest issue."

Some people don't notice the problem. I didn't notice it until I drove at night. Now it bothers me all the time -- Day and night.

The service center test measures the SEPARATION of the images. The separation is a function of the angle and thickness of the windshield. The separation test was designed by somebody who doesn't want to understand the problem. The problem isn't the separation of the images. THE PROBLEM IS THE INTENSITY OF THE SECONDARY IMAGE.

I wear polarized fishing eyeglasses during the day which does a great job in minimizing the secondary image. The secondary image has the opposite polarization of the polarized glasses so the secondary image is almost eliminated. The separation is still the same, but the image is almost gone.

Tesla needs to change the index on refraction of the windshield to reduce the intensity of the secondary image. Another option would be to add a polarizing sheet the laminations of the windshield.

All polarized eyeglasses included tint which makes them too dark for night driving.

I love my MX, but I HATE that secondary image. "It's the biggest issue."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I checked with a person that deals with glass all the time. I sent him your post and his comments were:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Makes sense and aligns with my thoughts. It may not be the standard first and second surfaces but it could be high reflectance from the coated surface. I checked and the windshield does have a solar control coating. If this is set up incorrectly, or the silver-based coating degrades during bending, then the reflectance could be higher thus causing the ghosting. The color of the ghost would be a good indicator of my theory. If it is just a glass issue then the ghost would have the same color as the primary image. If the coating is the culprit then the ghost may be a different color.

dirk | 11. August 2017

There's a long thread about this on TeslaMotorsClub: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/how-common-is-ghosting.92155/

I have zero ghosting. None, Checked for it at night, oncoming headlights, brake lights, moved my head up and down, left and right. No ghosting. And I do know what to look for (I'm an amateur astronomer and work with optics all the time). One thing we did find was that the model # of my windshield is different from most people. You can find the model # on the left lower corner of the glass when outside the car. Mine is 1105964-00-B. Most other people is 1034385-01-H and that one has ghosting consistently. So far, we've found at least two other people with the 00-B part # and they also claim to not have ghosting. My 100D was build end of April.

So we have at least a sample size of 3 now. So @rdfbsmith: can you check your model #?

If this new part really solves the issue, wonder what Tesla will do for people that really complain about it.

JAnnen | 12. August 2017

Thanks Dirk. I believe you: "this new part [1105964-00-B] really solves the issue." I have the old "H" windshield.

Dirk wrote:
"No ghosting ... Mine is 1105964-00-B. Most other people is 1034385-01-H and that one has ghosting consistently. So far, we've found at least two other people with the 00-B part # and they also claim to not have ghosting. My 100D was build end of April."

rainman50 wrote: " If it is just a glass issue then the ghost would have the same color as the primary image."

The ghost has the same color as the primary. So a glass issue is implicated on "H" windshields.

patswin | 13. August 2017

The number on mine is 1066747-01-C. Build date of 4/16. I have had no issues with ghosting on mine. Only very minor blurring of led headlights ( have only noticed this a few times) I think in all cases it was an Audi.

judy-nie | 13. August 2017

@dirk
You figured it out, my is "H" built in April and delivered middle of April, ghosting issue on my "H" windshield. Anyone else wants join?

nenelin | 15. August 2017

I drive in Japan where I notice this more on LED lights, and everything is LED around here. I had a different issue on my MX with a bulge on the windshield and they replaced the windshield ( I was hoping it would take care of the ghosting as well ) unfortunately though I think it is even worse!
It was changed in MAY 2017 and the new number is "01-C" Wished there was a solution for this...because it does bother me a lot at night. Did never noticed it in the morning though.

Model_D | 18. August 2017

I was out of town for a week so late to the party. We have an "H" windshield and have what I would call no ghosting issues. If try hard to look for a second image you can see it but it is very dim and only with some lights at night. The Model X has less ghosting than the Lexus we owned 5 years ago. That one was on the verge of being annoying.

Redmiata98 | 18. August 2017

Mine is 1066747-01-B, build date 12/15 and no ghosting during the day. At night if I look real hard for it, I notice a slight offset in the red tail lights but it is not much, barely noticeable. Driving it for 20 months and has not changed so it is not being effected by the sunlight as it ages.

elguapo | 21. August 2017

Same as @Redmiata98 and built in 1/16. I've gotten used to whatever might ghosting there is and just don't see it anymore. It is there if I look. You eventually get over it.

ibrazier | 21. August 2017

I too have very bad ghosting and its off putting and can only imagine it will get worse as the winter and short daylight hours come into play. How do i find out the part number that i have? Tesla said they were going to replace screen and when i took it in they didn't do it bust said it wast bad enough!!! seems odd since they said they were going to replace it as soon as i raised it.

LTO2 | 21. August 2017

Just checked: my windshield is a 00-B build; my X a June '07 build, mid-July delivery. No ghosting.

LTO2 | 21. August 2017

Yikes!! Correction: a June '17 build Model X...

ibrazier | 21. August 2017

Mine is a C

elvnga | 29. August 2017

I have had my MX about 6 weeks. The only time I saw the ghosting was a double image of the badging on the care stopped at a light in front of me (and slightly downhill) on the way home from work. None of the other parts of the same car seemed to be "ghosted." With some windshields it must take some very specific light intensity or angles. I also wonder if my glasses (bifocals) played a role?

MasterT | 30. August 2017

I received my X today after service during which I requested windshield replacement and specifically requested 1105964-00-B part - the ghosting is completely gone!

Wilber | 31. August 2017

MasterT - thanks for the update. glad it worked out for you. I just hope my X on order comes with the same windshield!

Elvnga: Can you tell us what the last part of your windshield number is? For instance, is it an 00-B or is it a 01-C, or something else?

elvnga | 31. August 2017

I went out and looked at my windshield. It looks like 01-H to me but I have a sticker that partially covers it. So if H is not an option, maybe that is really a B.

MasterT | 01. September 2017

AP2 windshields:
1034385-01-H - windshields known for ghosting
1105964-00-B - ghost-free

What I noticed, the ghosting is extremely pronounced for LED sources - traffic lights that use LED bulbs, tail lights of newer cars, gate arms with LED lights.

lilbean | 01. September 2017

Thanks Master T.

MX is Best | 03. September 2017

Double vision isn't too bad. On occasion, it will create TRIPLE VISION!

Next time you're stopped behind a vehicle with LED tail lights at night, take a look. Thankfully I only find it mildly distracting. But I've heard rumor that some owners have returned their cars to Tesla, due to the windshield's double vision causing headaches while driving.

Still the MX is best. Just be aware of the pro and cons before buyng. That's what I tell colleagues. Do a little research. It's not a true luxury vehicle, nor a true Sport Utility Vehicle, but does fall nicely in the middle somewhere, with run-flat tires and suspension tuned more for sport than comfort.

Redmiata98 | 03. September 2017

Run flat tires?

judy-nie | 03. September 2017

@MasterT
How did you request windshield replacement?

I was there one week after my x delivered, they won't replace for me. They just keep telling me that this windshield is within standard, and they tested.

If "H" windshield is within standard, then the "B" part must be over standard.

MX is Best | 04. September 2017

Hi Redmiata98, They make for a stiffer ride, but run-flats can withstand certain types of punctures, for limited miles, with a spray sealant. Better to call Tesla's roadside assistance if possible or carry a spare.

Redmiata98 | 06. September 2017

Sorry, misread your comment. I thought that you meant Tesla had runflats as OEM.