Forums

Why shouldnt i charge to 100%?

Why shouldnt i charge to 100%?

The car has an 8 year warranty on battery and I never keep my cars 8 years. So I bumped my battery to 100% for a trip tomorrow and then thought to myself "why am I even bothering to think about this"?

Yes.. why do we bother? What am I doing? Helping the NEXT owner to have a good battery? I dont like doing that. I want to enjoy the car.

What exactly will happen in the next 3 years if i always charge to 100%?

Ninefiveone | 07. Juli 2017

What's your VIN?

procrastin8r | 07. Juli 2017

If your trip requires 100%, then go ahead and charge to that level. On non-trip days, charging each night to 90% will take less time, and likely sufficient for your daily driving enjoyment.

Exactly: If you always charge to 100%, you will have to dismiss dashboard warnings not to do that, and you will spend more time charging than you need to.

Bottom line: it's your car, do what you want to do.

ken | 08. Juli 2017

I charge mine 100% daily, and often drive it to zero by the time i get home, with that said, I drive 50k miles/year, its unlikely I will have the MX for eight year, the engineer at tesla often joke that he might have to give me a free battery at year 6.

ken | 08. Juli 2017

btw, at 58k miles and charge 100% daily, the battery now shows 245m when fully charge.

poloX | 08. Juli 2017

If you need to charge to 100% for the range you need, then charge to 100%. If you don't, you don't. But doing it or not doing it just because you don't like to protect something for the next buyer is...fill in the blank. I think selfish is the polite word but could be something else too.

procrastin8r | 08. Juli 2017

From a usability point of view, I think there is room for improvement.

The reality is that EV customers have past experiences that they are drawing from, where "full" and "100%" is normal. For example, in their ICE cars, they would fill the tank to 100%, and on their mobile devices and laptop computers, it is normal to charge to 100%. Any deviation from this requires explanation and education, which is where we are with the Tesla user interface (UX) today.

Thinking of the next 10 million Tesla owners, there musk be a better way than explaining this 10 million more times. For example, what if the UX had the battery not as one thing but as a "main, daily-use" part and an "extra-range" part? The daily-use would be charged to 100%, as future owners expect. If long trips were needed, the extra-range part could be charged, too.

Tâm | 08. Juli 2017

@scabello800

It might work well for you if you want to maximize wear and tear because you don't keep your car for 8 years.

However, doing may risk premature servicing which might happen at the most inconvenient time and place.

Redmiata98 | 08. Juli 2017

I echo 951, let us know what your VIN is so we can avoid buying it when we need a used Tesla.

wmsauer | 08. Juli 2017

What is the expectation for the warrantee at 8 years? If the battery can only hold a 100 miles, for example, will I get a new battery?

JPPTM | 08. Juli 2017

You also won't have regen at 100%, so you need to be aware and drive differently.

scabello800 | 08. Juli 2017

@ken you say you get 245mi on full charge... what was it when car was new? That mileage loss will help me decide what to do. Thanks.

Uncle Paul | 08. Juli 2017

In the future, Tesla might make available to used Tesla vehicles, the charging history of the battery, so they can make a more informed decision on how much to pay for the car. You will have screwed yourself if this happens.

Best to follow good charging practices, and not try to game the system.

speyerj | 08. Juli 2017

Or if you are regularly charging to 100% and run down the max charge a bit, but within the range of what Tesla considers normal, you limit how far you can go with the car. A couple times a year we do a trip that really is at the max range of the car...so if the car loses 15-20 miles of range we're going to be in trouble. So I baby our battery pack.

scabello800 | 08. Juli 2017

I'd like to know how many miles we really lose if I max charge. I dont care about resale. My kids make a mess in the car and when I am alone I smoke a cigar and turn on the biodefense hepa climate control. Car smells brand new in minutes and it is safe for wife and kids. Maybe you will buy my car and wont even know the abuse I gave it. Oh.. i also nail the throttle whenever i can and I dont care for car washes or bird poop that lingers unless it impairs my abilty to drive it. Learn to enjoy life.

patswin | 09. Juli 2017

It's not like you have to remember to stop the charger before it goes to 100%. Just set it to 80% and forget about it. Unless you have an incredibly long commute this is plenty. Whenever you go in trips set it to 100% if you feel you need it. Seems like a non issue unless you want to charge it to 100% just despite. I don't punch it all the time but I do on occasion... just because it's fun ;-)

ken | 09. Juli 2017

when my 90D was new, it charge 256m at 100%, now 58k miles, it charge 245m

georgehawley.fl.us | 10. Juli 2017

It's a free country. Charge to 100% every time.

Please be sure to post the results in a few years.

Tâm | 10. Juli 2017

@scabello800

Tesla does not cover mileage loss caused by wear and tear or another word "battery degradation" during the 8 year warranty.

The warranty covers if your battery cannot hold a charge any more (the job of rechargeable battery is to hold a charge).

So in theory, if your new Model X100D used to be able to hold 295 miles but now it can only hold 200 miles, Tesla won't cover for the loss of 95 miles because your battery is still doing its job of recharging and you can still drive but just with less range.

speyerj | 10. Juli 2017

Hah, I'll believe that your car doesn't smell like a cigar when I "see" it. Biodefense creates positive air pressure by blowing air IN through the HEPA filter and forcing the air in the car out through the non-airtight gaps in the car, it doesn't suck the smoke straight into the vents. So your cigar smoke never gets near the HEPA filters.

Reports vary. I lost 5% battery range in my first year, but I didn't fully charge often. We do know it degrades battery, but most people aren't trying it out to provide data points. As Tam points out, normal battery degradation isn't covered by warranty. So if you end up with 75% of the range because you repeatedly pushed through full-empty cycles, Tesla may likely tell you "tough break."

But I think you've clearly answered your own question. You don't care about battery degradation and you don't care about resale. So no, there's no reason you wouldn't charge to 100%.

bigd | 10. Juli 2017

speyerj " car doesn't smell like a cigar when I "see" it". Didn't you mean "smell" it ???

speyerj | 11. Juli 2017

Hence the quotation marks around "see." If I said "smell" I wouldn't have needed the quotes...because that WOULD be literal ;)

scabello800 | 11. Juli 2017

My car has been charging to 100% now for a few days.

I feel liberated. I havent seen these annoying warning messages but we shall see I guess.

@ken has lost 11 miles in 58k miles driving. In theory he should have lost 30-35 miles if he was baby sitting his battery. The rule of thumb I have read is losing 5 miles for every 10k driven... he has been abusing that battery going from 100% to i presume 20% or less every day and the range of the battery is practically like a brand new one.

ken | 12. Juli 2017

Scab, i charge at EVGO during the day often, and sometimes come home with zero mile. MX will drive about 20 minutes more after zero mile mark.

speyerj | 13. Juli 2017

@ken
You've personally tested that the X will keep driving a bit after it hit Zero range remaining? I always wondered and Tesla won't say. I always wanted to hear from someone with direct experience!

lilbean | 13. Juli 2017

speyerj, From what I've read, it won't go 20 minutes on zero. Everyone's mileage may vary, literally.

speyerj | 13. Juli 2017

I've always treated zero as zero. But if you run the math of kW in the battery you'll find that clearly Tesla is holding 10-15% in reserve after zero, depending on the battery pack. So I just wonder, is it going to shut down and use that 10-15% JUST to prevent battery bricking? Or will it give me access to some of it if I force the issue?

ken | 13. Juli 2017

@Spey, for sure MX will drive 20 minutes non highway speed cause i have done it 4 times.

Rocky_H | 14. Juli 2017

Please done spread this rumor that there is a hidden driving reserve below 0 miles on the display. There isn't intentionally one there, but sometimes the estimate is off, and you may get lucky. There is an anti-bricking reserve that @speyerj referred to, which is to prevent you, the owner, from doing permanent damage to your battery. But the car will shut down and not use that reserve for driving. Plenty of people have had their cars shut down right about at 0 on the display, and even several with 2 or 3 positive miles still remaining.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/has-your-car-shut-down-before-it...

Rocky_H | 14. Juli 2017

That was supposed to start with "Please don't", rather than "done"

mathwhiz | 15. Juli 2017

+1 @Rocky_H ... If you continue like that, you're "for sure" gonna get bit... ;)

Not to mention, when you deplete the battery so low, it sometimes takes quite a bit longer to 'prime the charge', at least when Supercharging (in recent developments)... With a scant arrival SOC, like a % or two, the new high capacity packs are sometimes displaying a behavior not unlike the trickle you get at 100%, extending the charge time significantly (perhaps more so when in hot ambient temps). I can't explain the reason, only know it's been reported:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/help-stuck-at-a-supercharger-and...