Forums

New Oregon incentives in transportation bill (HB 2017)

New Oregon incentives in transportation bill (HB 2017)

First time poster. I just noticed that there are new incentives for Oregonians that might be kicking in on purchases made after 1/1/18. It looks like one of the requirements is that the base price of the car must be less than $50k. I'm wondering if this includes options that would bring the total cost above $50k.

https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2017R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/HB2017...
http://insideevs.com/get-ready-for-sales-oregon-now-offers-2500-ev-rebate/

ZERO-EMISSION AND ELECTRIC VEHICLE REBATES
(Rebate Program; Provisions Operative January 1, 2018)
SECTION 148. As used in sections 148 to 152 of this 2017 Act:
(1) “Light-duty zero-emission vehicle” means a motor vehicle that:
(a) Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 8,500 pounds or less;
(b) Is capable of attaining a speed of 55 miles per hour or more; and
(c) Is powered:
(A) Primarily by an electric battery and may or may not use a flywheel energy storage
device or a capacitor that also stores energy to assist in vehicle operation.
(B) By polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells or proton exchange membrane fuel cells
that use hydrogen fuel and oxygen from the air to produce electricity.
(C) Primarily by a zero-emission energy storage device that provides enough power for
the vehicle to travel 75 miles or more using only electricity and may or may not use a backup
alternative power unit that does not operate until the energy storage device is fully depleted.
(2) “Motor vehicle” has the meaning given that term in ORS 801.360.
(3) “Person” means a person as defined in ORS 174.100 or a public body as defined in ORS
(4) “Plug-in hybrid electric vehicle” means a hybrid electric motor vehicle that:
(a) Has zero evaporative emissions from its fuel system;
(b) Has an onboard electrical energy storage device with useful capacity of 10 or more
miles of urban dynamometer driving schedule range, as described by the United States Environmental
Protection Agency, on electricity alone;
(c) Is equipped with an onboard charger;
(d) Is rechargeable from an external connection to an off-board electrical source;
(e) Meets the super ultra-low emission vehicle standards for exhaust emissions, as defined
by the Environmental Quality Commission by rule;
(f) Has a warranty of at least 15 years and 150,000 miles on emission control components;
and
(g) Is capable of attaining a speed of 55 miles per hour or more.
(5) “Qualifying vehicle” means a motor vehicle that:
(a) Is a:
(A) Light-duty zero-emission vehicle; or
(B) Plug-in hybrid electric vehicle;
(b) Is new, or has been previously used only as a dealership floor model or test-drive
vehicle;
(c) Has not previously been registered;
(d) Is constructed entirely from new parts that have never been the subject of a retail
sale;
(e) Has a base manufacturer’s suggested retail price of less than $50,000;
(f) Is covered by a manufacturer’s express warranty on the vehicle drive train, including
the applicable energy storage system or battery pack, for at least 24 months from the date
of purchase; and
(g) Is certified by the manufacturer to comply with all applicable federal safety standards
issued by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for new motor vehicles and
new motor vehicle equipment.
(6)(a) “Vehicle dealer” means:
(A) A person engaged in business in this state that has been issued a vehicle dealer certificate
under ORS 822.020; and
(B) A person engaged in business in another state that would be subject to ORS 822.005
if the person engaged in business in this state.
(b) Notwithstanding paragraph (a) of this subsection, a person is not a vehicle dealer for
purposes of sections 148 to 152 of this 2017 Act to the extent the person:
(A) Conducts an event that lasts less than seven consecutive days, for which the public
is charged admission and at which otherwise qualifying vehicles are sold at auction; or
(B) Sells an otherwise qualifying vehicle at auction at an event described in this paragraph.

rrobin36 | 01. August 2017

I live in Oregon and this is exciting news. Perfect timing as it looks like I'll take delivery between January and March for the Standard.

Teslafarmer | 01. August 2017

Ahh, read the whole bill. There are lots of clauses, including trading in a 15 year old car and living in a low income area, etc. a quick read of the bill told us we do not qualify.

brent | 02. August 2017

@Farmers111 you mis-read the bill. Under section 149 it provides electric vehicle rebates up to $2,500. There is an additional low income, scrap your old car provision under the "charge ahead" section of 150, and that section also provides $2,500 additional rebates. The provision in 150 says it is in addition to the section 149 rebates. So a person who is low income and agrees to scrap the old car can get up to $5,000 in rebates. But everyone else can at least get the $2,500 rebate it seems.

sosmerc | 02. August 2017

Kudos to Oregon......I like their thinking. Give people an incentive to ditch the old gasser. We'll all be better off.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 23. August 2017

This seems like good news worthy of a 'bumpity'...

swanson21 | 30. August 2017

"It looks like one of the requirements is that the base price of the car must be less than $50k. I'm wondering if this includes options that would bring the total cost above $50k."

I'm also a reservation holder in OR wondering if I'll need to delay the EAP option, and later pay xtra 1k in order to qualify for the under 50k "base price"...or is the "base price" the 35k regardless of what you add? Any lawyer mentalities out there who can decipher this?

swanson21 | 30. August 2017

To make it simple, this is the only line on the new incentive I'm concerned about not qualifying for depending on how many options...

(e) Has a base manufacturer’s suggested retail price of less than $50,000;

Is the "base MSRP" 35k? Or is it, paint, EAP, extended battery, flying car option etc...=base MSRP?

Mike83 | 30. August 2017

Kudos to Oregon. We travel there often. I miss the good old salmon fishing though. Haven't done it in awhile.

rxlawdude | 30. August 2017

BASE price is before options. The M3 clearly qualifies, even the long range with PUP, EAP, and those 20" wheels!