Forums

Two weeks, how is there not one in depth owner review video yet???

Two weeks, how is there not one in depth owner review video yet???

I know only Tesla and Space X employees are the only owners so far, but still amazed that not one has done a full owner review video for youtube yet. Or at least I haven't found it.

Would be really nice to see an owner take you through the car and features in his/her personal view. Figured there'd be something by now.

I think there was one showing the charge port door. Other than that, only the quick ride along events at the reveal.

Wondering if Tesla made owners sign some type of an agreement to not do this??

txakoli | 11. August 2017

I would suspect Tesla and SpaceX employees were required to sign a NDA.

Carl Thompson | 11. August 2017

Agree with @txakoli. This feels more like internal testing than an actual car release.

Carl

hoffmannjames | 11. August 2017

Patience is a virtue. In a few months, non-Tesla employees will get their Model 3s and then we will definitely get lots of youtube videos, probably more videos that we will know what to do with. I can't wait. The #1 thing that I want to see is the autopilot in action in the Model 3.

andy.connor.e | 11. August 2017

The only people who own a Model 3 right now, are employees. Best likely scenario, is they dont want to give the public any wrong ideas. There is probably still room for tedious adjustments before people start receiving their cars.

LostInTx | 11. August 2017

As has been stated, the initial cars were delivered to a very receptive and probably NDA bound audience. Hopefully, as cars are delivered to non-employees, we'll get feedback.

On that note, has the $49K variant been pushed back just a bit. Under my Model 3 info tab, I'm seeing a message I don't recall seeing previously.

Customer deliveries begin in late October.

Is this new?

JAD | 11. August 2017

Mine still says Oct-Dec, but October has zero chance, I am hoping for late November? Most likely is ~12/31 delivery to make the quarter delivery numbers look better.

mos6507 | 11. August 2017

An NDA only covers sharing _proprietary_ information--a trade secret of some sort. Anything the average owner would see and experience in the course of having the car would be fair game, otherwise you can't really classify the vehicle as having been "released".

I mean, I just have this image of black helicopters following these employees around to make sure they don't show their friends how the glove box opens. There's no way the NDA is that restrictive.

Captain_Zap | 11. August 2017

I doubt that any of them have time for something like a video.

matt80206 | 11. August 2017

They are too busy building our cars ;)

ejunk | 11. August 2017

All of them are probably enjoying their car while we wait for ours. They probably had them sign something to not release any details. I'm sure they are testing it to make any changes if nescessary before it goes out to the public.

Shock | 11. August 2017

I for one don't believe the model 3 is a real car. Everything so far released is photoshopped pics and CGI. Even Musk is not real! Nobody in this thread has met him, so ponder that.

carlk | 11. August 2017

Lol you could be right. Elon said there is one in a billion chance that we are NOT just a simulation.

@Shock:
"I for one don't believe the model 3 is a real car. Everything so far released is photoshopped pics and CGI."

Did you notice how there are no stars in the sky in the nighttime reveal pics? That's because they forgot to add them in in Photoshop! That proves it!

Carl

cascadiadesign | 11. August 2017

Yep - NDA in effect. Camera above rear view mirror is watching. Any violation and Elon sends "You're Fired!" to M3 display (we are back to the future). Audio system announces, "Please remove all items from storage compartments. Have a nice day". M3 then self-drives back to factory. Last paycheck goes towards depreciation.

rxlawdude | 11. August 2017

But the OP is correct that this would not be expected with a true product launch. Clearly, there is a lot of tweaking (and hopefully rethinking some of the audio system) going on, and total radio silence.

It's an odd time.

wsuschmitt | 11. August 2017

I'm guessing that they're under a "news embargo" as part of being able to get their cars.

This would allow Tesla to continue to control the narration on their product. Non-Employee Customer #1 will be big news and we'll all be hearing about that delivery, and then we'll probably start hearing about how the first couple of Employee Customers needed tweaks to their cars to bring it up to standard.

LostInTx | 11. August 2017

@mos6507 - I suppose an NDA can include whatever restrictions are stipulated. You're right that most cover proprietary information.

I used to work for a defense contractor where I signed NDA's preventing everything just short of divulging whether the break room fridge had Coke or Pepsi.

If the lid is on that tight, it may speaks to one of three things about Tesla employees: loyalty or fear. It may also point to an exquisitely written NDA.

hoffmannjames | 11. August 2017

LostINTx wrote:
"If the lid is on that tight, it may speaks to one of three things about Tesla employees: loyalty or fear. It may also point to an exquisitely written NDA."
--------------------------------------------

Loyalty. I suspect a lot of Tesla employees love the company and what it stands for so they would never dream of violating the NDA.

carlk | 11. August 2017

LostInTx

Right on! Either loyalty or fear those likely selected employees will not do things they were told not to do.

alias4me | 11. August 2017

@LostInTx - which was it, Coke or Pepsi?

Jcastillo18 | 11. August 2017

NDA

ebiggs | 11. August 2017

Tesla has explicitly said that these vehicles are sold to customers paying in full. Would it be legal to restrict what these customers did with a product that has been released and they've paid for in full? I don't think it would be legal to tell a customer that they couldn't, for example, sell their property second hand. I remember ford paid an extra $55,000 for an early Model X second hand... surely similar profits are to be made on these model 3s... so what gives? My theory is social standing with important people at Tesla. These first customers are probably people who have a personal relationship with Elon Musk and other top executives, and this is enough for them to behave in a way that would be "loyal" to Tesla - no NDAs needed.

KP in NPT | 11. August 2017

Because they aren't the dorks we are. That's why.

@ebiggs:
"Tesla has explicitly said that these vehicles are sold to customers paying in full."

Where did Tesla say this? I suspect none of those employees will pay a cent on these cars until it's generally released for this very reason. I doubt any titles have been signed over either. Just my opinion.

Carl

CraigW | 11. August 2017

I have seen a video taken around the S.F. bay area. The employee was opening their trunk and was approached by others about his car. It was in a thread about the trunk opening.

carlk | 16. August 2017

Just want to report I saw a gray Model 3 at Fremont service center while I was waiting there to get new tires installed. I checked the car and snapped a pic while the car was plugged to a charger outside. VIN on the car was 002x. The car had a regular plate (7ZZAxxx) and windows already had tint film installed. It definitely is a "street" car. Later I saw the owner, a middle aged woman dressed in a way that sure is not a Tesla worker, came to pick up the car. I thought about going out to chat with her while she was driving away but wasn't sure if she'd like to be bothered with so I did not do it. This should put to bed any idea that no real car has been delivered or being used.

Coastal Cruiser. | 16. August 2017

KP in NPT: "Because they aren't the dorks we are. That's why."

Laughing out loud. More than once.

--------------------
Hey, has anybody had a Model 3 show up in their dreams yet? Seriously, shouldn't this be happening for shortlisters and liners?

I used to have a recurring dream when young that I was driving a car from the back seat. I was alone in the car, in the backseat, and just glancing occasionally to see if the car was steering and stopping OK. Which is was. Never an accident. Tell me Doctor, what the hell does that mean??

Carl Thompson | 16. August 2017

@Coastal_Cruiser:
"I used to have a recurring dream when young that I was driving a car from the back seat. I was alone in the car, in the backseat, and just glancing occasionally to see if the car was steering and stopping OK. Which is was. Never an accident. Tell me Doctor, what the hell does that mean??"

It means you're ready for FSD! (And that you're psychic.)

mos6507 | 17. August 2017

"Where did Tesla say this? I suspect none of those employees will pay a cent on these cars until it's generally released for this very reason. I doubt any titles have been signed over either. Just my opinion."

Then, IMHO, the car is not actually released, despite the hoopla. Either they're selling cars or they aren't. Having things in lock-down like this just oozes "buggy prototype".

Carl Thompson | 17. August 2017

@mos6507

Agreed. It's not a release until actual consumers (who don't work for the company) can buy it. But their making cars as we speak and that might be very soon.

Carl

dsvick | 17. August 2017

I'm betting there is no NDA restricting the owners from posting. More likely, they just aren't the sort of people that post youtube videos of everything they do. Not everyone does that ....

Besides, if there was an NDA and it leaked out then there would be even more speculation of a massive cover up than there already is.

dsvick | 17. August 2017

@carl T - " I suspect none of those employees will pay a cent on these cars until it's generally released for this very reason. I doubt any titles have been signed over either. "

There are pictures out there of Model 3s with non-manufacturer license plates, I didn't think they could do that if they weren't titled to the purchaser.

ebiggs | 17. August 2017

@Carl Thompson

"Where did Tesla say this? I suspect none of those employees will pay a cent on these cars until it's generally released for this very reason. I doubt any titles have been signed over either. Just my opinion."

I think it was mentioned in the Q2 conference call.

Frank99 | 17. August 2017

>>> I suspect none of those employees will pay a cent on these cars

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-10/tesla-rolls-out-its-f...
"Tesla, by tradition, delivers the first new car off the line to the first customer to pay full price once the car officially goes on sale."

So, at least one person has paid the full price for his car - of course, that happens to be Elon. But it does contradict your suspicion.

carlk | 17. August 2017

dsvick
"There are pictures out there of Model 3s with non-manufacturer license plates, I didn't think they could do that if they weren't titled to the purchaser."

Yes I guess people missed my post above. I saw one yesterday not only with regular plate but also tinted windows not to mention owner of the car came to drive the car away.

jordanrichard | 17. August 2017

There is no "family discount". Everyone pays full retail for their cars. Just as Tesla makes the price of the car the same regardless of where you buy your car, in the name of fairness, they don't give anyone a special price on their car. When you read a headline that says so and so was given the first whatever, that's just a headline. they weren't literally given the car for free. "Given" has more punch to it than "received".

Frank99 | 17. August 2017

Looked up the Q2 conference call because of ebiggs comment. At about an hour in, they were talking about the 30 Model 3's delivered at the handover event:
"Jonathan McNeill - Tesla, Inc.
I mean, it's important to note too that all those people paid full price for their car.

Elon Reeve Musk - Tesla, Inc.
Yes. Full price. There was no discount internally at all."

So, there you have it, Carl. From the horse's mouth that the cars were paid for.

@dsvick:
"There are pictures out there of Model 3s with non-manufacturer license plates, I didn't think they could do that if they weren't titled to the purchaser."

Good point. I've seen those plates myself but didn't think of that aspect. But I've also noticed that none I've seen either in person or in pictures have the CA carpool lane stickers which I find odd. Can any CA Tesla buyers confirm that Tesla gives you the stickers as soon as you buy the car? Or with Teslas do you need to mail to the DMV to get them?

Carl

@Frank99

I wasn't thinking that they _wouldn't_ pay for the cars. Just that they wouldn't have paid _yet_. If they don't own it _yet_ then it's a lot easier for Tesla to keep people from revealing details about them. If these employees own the cars outright it's harder to see how Tesl amight be preventing them from posting reviews or lending them (for a fee) to the big blog sites for review.

Carl

andy.connor.e | 17. August 2017

If i feel i dont know enough about this car, or the details/specifications of the car by the time im next in line to option and purchase, i will cancel my reservation. By the time i am asked to option my Model 3, Tesla will be well far enough into their production, that you'll be able to get your car in a few months after purchase (or reserve). I've waited this long and have absolutely no intention or urgency to jump into something i am not well-informed enough about.

@andy.connor.e

LOL I feel like thanks to this forum and the helpful Tesla owners here I will know so much about the Model 3 by the time I purchase I'll already be bored with it!

Carl

andy.connor.e | 17. August 2017

Carl +9001

carlk | 18. August 2017

Carl Thompson

You have to apply for the HOV sticker yourself AFTER you received the license plate since the license number is required for the application.

Hare are pics of the 3 I saw at Fremont service center. It has a license plate already but I did not have that in the pic. The temporary tag is still on the windshield though and the windows are already have tint film installed. It's definitely in owner's hand, I actually saw the owner too. It's time to put this conspiracy theory to bed.

http://i.imgur.com/SJBhVb8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fkQFkfC.jpg

Beagle | 19. August 2017

Bottom line - There aren't ANY production line cars out there yet. Look at Tesla's published proposed production. It doesn't even START to curve up until mid Sept.

If the line were running, even at a glacial rate, the parking lot would be filling up. I'm waiting breathlessly too, but we are spinning our 'would be' wheels.

RichardKJ | 19. August 2017

As carlk says, you apply for HOV stickers after receiving license plates. Then it takes about six weeks to receive the stickers. I believe Tesla tells you where to apply as part of the purchase paperwork, but it's been over three years and I don't remember for sure.

Carl Thompson | 19. August 2017

I know that some car dealers in CA were in the past able to issue HOV stickers directly. I think that may be no longer a thing, though.

Carl

hoffmannjames | 20. August 2017

Digg founder Kevin Rose posted a short video tour of a Tesla Model 3 to Instagram:
https://www.you tube.com/watch?v=EHCrlq7pdKQ

KP in NPT | 31. August 2017

Here's another instagram vid of people having fun with acceleration. :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYbXthHAJzC/

carlk | 31. August 2017

It reminds us again how silly those complains that 0-60 of the car is not fast enough was. Videos like this were abundant when S60 had even slower 0-60. This is not your grandfather's BMW. The only thing that concerns me is there will be hundreds of thousands of cars like this that drivers want to have that fun.