Forums

Nvidia unveils new supercomputer for full self-driving cars

Nvidia unveils new supercomputer for full self-driving cars

Nvidia unveils new supercomputer for full self-driving cars:
https://electrek.co/2017/10/10/nvidia-new-supercomputer-for-level-5-auto...

It is apparently 10x times more powerful than the current computer in Tesla cars. I think Tesla should buy these and upgrade their cars with it? Why not spend the money and use a faster computer that Nvidia says will work for FSD rather than trying to make FSD work on a slower computer?

Iwantmy3 | 10. Oktober 2017

It is the nature of the business that the computing power will continue to grow exponentially with each design iteration even as prices may decrease. There will always be the question "How did that ever run on my old computer?"

Important to note, this new design won't be available for use for another year.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanohnsman/2017/10/10/nvidia-readying-a-su...

ReD eXiLe ms us | 10. Oktober 2017

Nvidia stock will certainly rise as their technology improves. It seems their CEO loves the notion of always being on the bleeding edge. I can see why he enjoys working with Tesla. Other automobile OEMs wouldn't have been ready to even consider using their best work to date for five more years, then would have started releasing those vehicles four or five years later. Who can wait that long for innovation in electronics to manifest?

carlk | 10. Oktober 2017

Even after it's available there will still be a lot of development and testing works to be done to put it in the Tesla car. Apple updates its processor every year or two but that does not mean older iPhone will stop functioning.

carlk | 10. Oktober 2017

ReD NVidia CEO is a Tesla enthusiast and owns both Model S and X. He has also been appearing with Elon together in AI and autonomous car conferences. I kind of think him and Elon speak the same language. The rest of CEO's? Not so much.

carlk | 10. Oktober 2017

An example is the day Intel announced it will buy Moblieye is the day I know its glorious days are over. The company is clueless of how to approach the new technology.

Frank99 | 10. Oktober 2017

In the world of computing, next year's computer is always faster than today's. This is especially true when a Vendor's revenue stream is dependent on you buying twice as many of their products. But, to ship a product, you have to choose a technology point and go with it.
Tesla has chosen a point, and is going with it. But they made a good engineering decision to make it easy to upgrade the technology if needed - pull out the old supercomputer, and plug in the new one. As opposed to, say, defense designs that pin down the technology early in the program, and then never change it:
http://www.businessinsider.com/queen-elizabeth-aircraft-carrier-is-runni...

thedrisin | 10. Oktober 2017

The installed hardware will already be out of date when you receive the car. It would be nice if hardware upgrade was in the warranty. Tesla has no obligation to do so.

carlk | 10. Oktober 2017

Again think about the iPhone example, or for that matter any tech products. Have you ever seen any that were stuck with the same processor for more than few years and have you ever seen any company that will upgrade old devices for you when new processor came out? Elon said if you don't expect your car to have major upgrade in 12 to 18 months then you have bought the wrong car. That should apply to the processor too although not necessarily at 12 to 18 months interval.

>>> It would be nice if hardware upgrade was in the warranty.
Tesla is promising FSD with the hardware in the car. If they can do that, they have no obligation legally, morally, or in any other way, to upgrade the hardware. If it works, it doesn't need to be fixed.

That said, Tesla has also said that if the hardware in the car isn't capable of FSD, they'll upgrade it for free. If they've taken money from you for FSD, this is certainly both a legal and moral obligation, and they've said they'll step up to it. If you haven't paid for FSD, however, and wish to do so later - I would guess that the FSD upgrade price will increase to cover the new hardware. They don't have an obligation to upgrade a piece of hardware for a function you haven't paid for.

carlk | 10. Oktober 2017

Frank99 Good point.

Tropopause | 10. Oktober 2017

If you keep waiting for the best Tesla to come out, you'll never own a Tesla. Likewise, if Tesla keeps waiting for the best FSD hardware, they'll never make it happen.

hoffmannjames | 10. Oktober 2017

@Tropopause words of wisdom!

coilette | 10. Oktober 2017

I've been wondering about this -- lots of people didn't buy FSD, but they bought a car which _advertises_ an after-production price of $4k rather than $3k for this feature. Isn't Tesla now obligated to honor that price in the same respect as they are to honor the functionality for someone who paid $3k? I mean, how is that any different than any other line item defining the car you ordered?

Whatever they may change to make it work on pre-paid cars they'll have to honor for any car sold as enableable. And they're already making an extra $1k premium which would more than cover the price difference for newer hardware, so I don't think there's any financial strain on them to fight that, not to mention the loyalty damage it would incur on their customers if they did

Tropopause | 10. Oktober 2017

Same as when Tesla up'ed the price of the ESA or changed the prices on annual services. Until you sign on the dotted line, Tesla can change price anytime they like.

carlk | 10. Oktober 2017

I cringe every time I hear the word loyalty mentioned in that context. I'm a loyal customer if I get everything I wanted from the company regardless of how that could impact the company. Otherwise that loyalty will be damaged. That's not how I understand what loyalty is.

sp_tesla | 10. Oktober 2017

carlk | October 10, 2017
I'm a loyal customer if I get everything I wanted from the company regardless of how that could impact the company. Otherwise that loyalty will be damaged."

Does that apply to your personal relationships?

noleaf4me | 10. Oktober 2017

If you wait for the latest tech -- you will never buy anything....

Frank99 is correct.

Tropopause is correct.

dd.micsol | 10. Oktober 2017

The issue Tesla had with Nvidia devices is the amount of power required. It was power hungry and elon wanted nothing to do with something so power demanding. The Intel is the way to go. 64bit i3 8350k chip has plenty of umph for what it will be doing and less than 1/2 the power of the nvidia counterpart.

did.micsol posts interesting things that make me go, "Hmmm..."

I think we're talking about different things. The NVidia device under discussion is the FSD processor. The Intel that dd is talking about is, to the best of my knowledge, a possible UI processor for running the screen.
The NVidia device wouldn't be a good UI processor. The Intel wouldn't be a good FSD processor.