Forums

Charge with a 30 amp dryer outlet?

Charge with a 30 amp dryer outlet?

I'm staying at a rental that has a 30 amp dryer outlet, and no Supercharger or destination chargers nearby. I could buy the parts to make up a short converter, but would this be OK?

My concern is that the car (85D) might try to draw 50 amps and overload the circuit, but then I think that it doesn't do that when you plug into a 120v 15amp, so it shouldn't, right?

I feel like an idiot when it comes to electricity! :)

murphyS90D | 17. Oktober 2017

If you aren't using a Tesla adapter you have to manually set the charge current in the car. With a 30 amp outlet set the car to 24 amps. That is 80% of 30 which is the derating required for a continuous load in the USA. I think I read that CA (Canada, not California) has recently changed to 70%.

The Tesla adapters for the UMC are coded to tell the car the maximum current they can provide.

Should_I | 17. Oktober 2017

All I use at home is a dryer outlet, plenty for my 15-30 miles a day. My car came with the 30amp adapter so the car sets itself to 24amps.
One consideration is these plugs are not really meant for daily plugging and unplugging, so keep an eye on condition check connector for heat regularly.

KP in NPT | 17. Oktober 2017

Buy the tesla adapter. Or if you buy a third party/make your own, just dial down the amps the first time - the car will remember the amps set for that location.

tpkiwi | 17. Oktober 2017

Where is the best place to buy a Tesla adapter?

Bighorn | 17. Oktober 2017

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-s_x-nema-...

Confirm whether it’s 3 or 4 prong i.e. 10-30 vs 14-30.

tes-s | 17. Oktober 2017

Some more reading on the topic.

http://carcharging.us/adapt/teslasx-adapters.php

tes-s | 17. Oktober 2017

@BH is right - the only place to buy a Tesla adapter is from Tesla, and best to use a Tesla adapter if possible.

Captain_Zap | 17. Oktober 2017

My MIL just bought a new house and it has an outlet for a kiln in the garage. We didn't even have to stop at the new Superchargers on the way home. Whee!

Chunky Jr. | 17. Oktober 2017

I use a dryer outlet at home and get about 25 miles per hour of charging. You'll need to get the necessary part from Tesla. See https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/category/vehicle-accessories/model-s.html#t...

Victorg-90D | 17. Oktober 2017

Tesla comes with Mobile Connector and NEMA 14-50 adapter. 30 amp dryer outlet uses different outlet than NEMA 14-50, and requires different adapter.

When adapter is connected to Mobile Connector, adapter tells connected the type of outlet, and Mobile Connector automatically adjusts its power to outlet type. There is no need to change power settings in the car, b/c Mobile Connector does it automatically.

Should_I | 17. Oktober 2017

Victorg-90D, older Tesla's like the P85 I have came with the 3-prong dryer adapter, as well as the 14-50 and it is the adapter not the mobile connector that tells the car the available amperage. What is the mobile connector going to do trip the breaker then dial down 20%? Obviously not since it doesn't trip the breaker.

If one uses a non-Tesla adapter then the car does not know what to limit draw to, as as I already stated the mobile connector does not set amperage, it is the Tesla adapters that tell the car what it can take. So with non-Tesla adapters the user does indeed have to set amperage.

jjs | 17. Oktober 2017

I charge from a 30amp 240 circuit at home every night. I had to turn down the amperage to 22 to prevent the circuit breaker from tripping. If you don't need to max out the charging mph, lower/slower is safer.
Best of luck.

ST70 | 17. Oktober 2017

tpkiwi - Idiot! ...kidding :-)

teamlemus | 17. Oktober 2017

We used it for over one year.

Just remember don't run the dryer when the car is charging! You'll pop the breaker, reset and go again.

PBEndo | 18. Oktober 2017

@Should_I
"older Tesla's like the P85 I have came with the 3-prong dryer adapter"
First time I have heard that. Did it also come with the 5-15 adapter?

stevenmaifert | 18. Oktober 2017

@PBEndo - They were available for purchase in Tesla's online store, but my Dec. 2012 delivered MS85 did not come with one. A few of those older UMC adapters are still available for resale: http://shop.quickchargepower.com/Adapters_c8.htm;jsessionid=3BA8DED4CE67...

Rocky_H | 18. Oktober 2017

@Victor90D, Quote: "When adapter is connected to Mobile Connector, adapter tells connected the type of outlet, and Mobile Connector automatically adjusts its power to outlet type."

@Should I, Quote: "and it is the adapter not the mobile connector that tells the car the available amperage."

I'll be the referee on this one. @Victor90D actually has this correct. The car is not reading the adapter directly. It is the mobile cable that reads what adapter is connected to it. Then, the mobile connector creates the correct type of pilot signal to send to the car (using the J1772 communication protocol) to the car's charge port to indicate what level of current is available.

@PBEndo, Yeah, that sounds fishy to me too. I had never heard of Tesla including a dryer adapter with any of the cars.

Should_I | 18. Oktober 2017

The P85 came with the 110volt adapter too.
Far as where the car gets amperage info, if the mobile connector has to get the info from the adapter bit then sends the information along. I still count that as the adapter being the source of info. Though I appreciate the deeper understanding of how.

Rocky_H | 18. Oktober 2017

@Should_I, ...which is exactly how Victor originally explained it.

b.tesla | 18. Oktober 2017

Tesla does have a recall for older batches of their 14-30 and 10-30 dryer adapters. https://www.tesla.com/support/adapter-recall If using one of those, double check that it isn't one of the recalled ones pictured on that web page.

stevenmaifert | 19. Oktober 2017

The recall was for the NEMA 14-50 adapter. I'm not aware of any recalls for the others, and I've owned since 2012.

stevenmaifert | 19. Oktober 2017

Oops. Cancel that.

Bighorn | 19. Oktober 2017

The 30 ampers were replaced by Tesla--not aware that any ever caused a problem, but they had features common to the recalled 14-50s.

sbeggs | 19. Oktober 2017

I just tied a new CAMCO 'dog bone' 18" connector at a campground 30 amp connection and got nothing. On the same post at the campground there was 50 amp NEMA 14-50 outlet and worked just fine. We had reduced the amperage manually on the Tesla control panel to 24 amps,but still no power was available.
I believe that the CAMCO dog bone is rated at 125 volts and the campground outlet was only providing 120 volts, but the Tesla was looking for 240 volts through the NEMA 14-50 male plug on the end of the mobile cable that comes with the car. Me thinks, only Tesla has the right 30 amp 240 volt dryer connector and the RV camp 30 amp 120 volt outlet is incompatible with the protective demands of the car. Any advice? Is there any case or usage anyone knows about for F 50 amp to M 30 amp dog bone short adapter? The question is, does anyone make a M 30 amp to F 50 amp connector that will work with either 120 or 240 volts and only the amperage needs to be adjusted?
sbeggs

Rocky_H | 19. Oktober 2017

Hey, @sbeggs, That is a known thing. Dogbone or other types of adapters made by camping and outdoor equipment suppliers will never work for a Tesla charging cable. They are not wired correctly.

Here is a site that sells TT-30 to 14-50 adapters wired specifically for Tesla charging.
https://www.evseadapters.com/collections/adapters-for-tesla/products/nem...

They have a description there that tells about the wiring issues:
-----------------------------------
Caution: Other similar adapters available elsewhere are made for RV use and will not work for EV charging as they are wired differently. Our adapters are specially designed for electric vehicle charging, and have been tested to work with Tesla Model S, Model X, and JuiceBox. Not suitable for RV use.
-----------------------------------

Specifically what's not working is that the camping adapters are trying to take the 120V "hot" line from the TT-30 and connect it to BOTH of the "hot1" and "hot2" phases of the 14-50 outlet. Since the Tesla charging cable is trying to read a voltage difference across those pins, it sees 0V and can't do anything with it.

The adapters made for Tesla take the hot and neutral and put them on the hot1 and hot2 pins. The Tesla charge cable fortunately doesn't care that it's getting 120V instead of 240V and will use it with no problems.

sbeggs | 19. Oktober 2017

@Rocky H,
Much obliged for your complete answer. Steve took the 50 to 30 amp dogbone connector down to UPS and shipped it back to Amazon.

Before ordering from the EVSEadapter website we looked at the Tesla website. They only offer a 30 amp, 240 volt adapter for Model S, i.e. a dryer outlet. What Steve encountered at the local KOA this am was 30 amp, 120 V.

For the Model 3 Great Lakes trip next May, we are less likely to find a dryer outler to plug into, but will actively seek out campgrounds, some of which will only have 30 amp and no 50 amp outlets, and only 120 volt service.

Thanks both for the explanation and the link to order. We assume 30/50 adapter will work both on Model S and Model 3 but perhaps we shouldn't make such an assumption.

KP in NPT | 19. Oktober 2017

@sbeggs - I just used the EVSEadapter TT-30 for a camping trip to Acadia and it worked like a charm. I just manually dialed down the amps to 24 the first time we plugged in. Only 8mph charge but enough considering how much we were using the car - we left with a 90% charge. Definitely a worthy investment if you hang at campgrounds. :)

Rocky_H | 20. Oktober 2017

@sbeggs, Quote: “Before ordering from the EVSEadapter website we looked at the Tesla website. They only offer a 30 amp, 240 volt adapter for Model S, i.e. a dryer outlet. What Steve encountered at the local KOA this am was 30 amp, 120 V.”

Yes, Tesla has never offered a TT-30 adapter. That is a 14-30 that Tesla has. The cool thing is that the Tesla UMC and the internal charger of the car does not make any restrictions on what voltage something is supposed to be. You can use a 14-50 or 14-30 official adapter, which are “supposed” to be 240V, but if you wire 120V to those pins, the car will happily detect it and adjust accordingly.

Quote: “Thanks both for the explanation and the link to order. We assume 30/50 adapter will work both on Model S and Model 3 but perhaps we shouldn't make such an assumption.”

I would be pretty sure that it will continue to work that way.

Rocky_H | 20. Oktober 2017

Oh, and here's a little handy tip. The TT-30 pigtail adapters from EVSEAdapters end in a 14-50 receptacle. If you use the official Tesla 14-50 plug, the charging system will think it should be able to use 40A, so you will need to turn the amps down to 24A yourself. The Tesla 14-30 plug will handle automatically setting the current for you, but it doesn't fit in a 14-50 receptacle unless.....

It's the L shaped neutral pin that keeps it from fitting, and that pin isn't even connected to anything in the Tesla plug, so you can cut it off, and it will fit in that 14-50 receptacle just fine, and then the current is handled automatically, so you don't have to remember to do it.

txakoli | 20. Oktober 2017

@sbeggs:

"For the Model 3 Great Lakes trip next May..."

Will you be attending the Sound of Silence Tesla rally in Custer, SD in May then? It's usually the weekend before Memorial Day weekend. Some of us forum loyalists have attended; it would be great to finally meet the two of you.

sbeggs | 20. Oktober 2017

@txakoli,
Hmmm!
Hope we have our Model 3 by then...it is possible!

spencerandrewha... | 18. Februar 2019

There is a device called the NeoCharge that allows you to use your dryer outlet for charging your car. I have been using mine for 4 months now and it works great for me. This device ensures that there is no over draw on current so there would be no worry about overloading the circuit.

And I would suggest adjusting your charge limit to 24 amp for your dryer.

www.getneocharge.com

Bighorn | 18. Februar 2019

Yeah, Tesla sells a dryer adapter that automatically dials down the current to 24A.

bp | 19. Februar 2019

Dryer outlets will usually be 14-30, with a smaller possibility of a 10-30 outlet.

Tesla sells 14-30 and 10-30 adapters for the Gen 2 Mobile Connector that comes standard with new Tesla vehicles.

Since the Tesla charging system will limit charging to 80% of the rated amp of the connector, the charging will be limited to 24A, with the ability to lower that further using the console's charging settings.

No special or 3rd party hardware is needed, or likely recommended by Tesla.

The only advantage of using a product like neocharge would be in sharing a single outlet between two devices, and managing the current so that the devices combined don't exceed 80% of the rated amps of the outlet.

If this is only for road trips and visiting family - keep it simple, unplug the dryer - charge the car overnight - and then plug the dryer back in to use during the day.

S75RedRidingHood | 19. Februar 2019
C405B | 13. März 2019

Diverted the feed to my dryer to a 14-50 outlet in my garage. So I will use a 14-50 adapter but I need to limit the current to 24 amps (30 amp circuit). Is it correct that I will be able to adjust the current limitation using the car console?

Bighorn | 13. März 2019

@cpsabel
yes

nothotpocket | 13. März 2019

@cpsabel As your dryer circuit is 30 amps, a 14-50 receptacle is a not permitted. The receptacle is required to to be sized to the circuit (NEC Article 210). A 30 amp receptacle and the Tesla adapter (NEMA 14-30 e.g.) will do a great job and keep things safe.

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/gen-1-nema-adap...
https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/gen-2-nema-adap...

jordanrichard | 15. März 2019

Bump, to get ahead of the spam