Forums

Trailer Hitch

Trailer Hitch

Is a trailer hitch possible with a Model 3?

I don't want to haul with it but have a nice bike rack that connects to one that I would like to be able to use with the Model 3.

LA-Fohlen | 26. Januar 2018

Not offered right now by Tesla.

EVMan | 26. Januar 2018

This question has been asked many times. I believe Elon indicated that one would be available, but no indication of when. I have one from Torklift Central on my Chevy Volt. It bolts on, no drilling or welding. I emailed them and inquired about plans for one for the M3. They indicated that as soon as they could get their hands on one, it would be designed and made available. When that will be is anybody's guess.

Yodrak. | 26. Januar 2018

"I emailed [Torklift] and inquired about plans for one for the M3. They indicated that as soon as they could get their hands on one, it would be designed and made available. When that will be is anybody's guess."

It will be when you get yours and take it in to Torklift. What's your estimated order date? (Yes, I know, that too is anybody's guess.)

gmuchnik | 27. Januar 2018

Thanks for the info. I don't see a search option with the forum so I missed the other questions about this.

mwagner6 | 09. April 2018

They have it on their website at torklift.com and is very stealth and can hide away the 2-inch ball hitch when not in use I'm going to be ordering one soon for my new model 3.

SCCRENDO | 10. April 2018

Who is going to install it for you? That is my concern. There have been some issues with severe corrosion in the Model S

giskard | 10. April 2018

On another recent thread about this someone mentioned Torklift now includes washers (silicone, I believe) that isolate the hitch from the car. So corrosion shouldn't be an issue anymore, though you definitely need to trust the installer to put them on correctly.

info | 10. April 2018

I think this was just posted a couple days ago for the Model 3: https://torkliftcentral.com/catalog/product/view/id/1019/s/x7373-2/categ...

billstanton | 10. April 2018

I'm all in for a bike hitch. And this looks clever. But...when I look at the picture of the hitch it looks like there is a bolt as a hinge point or maybe removal bolt to hide the hitch when not using it. I'm no "real" engineer, does that look to a trained eye like it might be a potential weakness as it grows older, the bolt snapping off and well, bad things then happen? The hitch I bolted onto my Pruis is entirely welded except for where it bolts to the frame and it is certainly not hinging.

mcflyInAustin | 10. April 2018

@billstantion, I was also concerned when I first saw that design, since it looks like that bolt takes the entire tongue weight. But then I figured that it's not different from a standard hitch pin taking the entire towing weight, which is much more than the tongue weight. In either case it's probably something to keep an eye on and replace if there's a sign of corrosion.