Model S

Model S and X will soon get the same keyless smartphone entry that the Model 3 has

Soon, Model S/X owners will be able to leave their key fob at home. In a tweet, Musk said the Model S and X will soon get the same keyless smartphone entry that the Model 3 has:
https://electrek.co/2018/05/10/tesla-model-s-model-x-keyless-phone-entry-like-model-3/

I am not surprised. I've been thinking for awhile now that Tesla will gradually shift to using the smartphone app more for all cars, because Tesla sees it as the future, especially with the coming Tesla Network. I can see Tesla wanting to create that all-around smartphone experience where users can do everything from summoning their car to even sharing their car with other users via the app in the future.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Yay!
  • edited November -1
    My guess is it will be limited to cars made in March 2018 and later that have MCU2. It has additional Bluetooth antennas, that I think are necessary to make the feature work well.
  • edited May 2018
    I prefer the fob which always works. Phone is not dependable.
  • edited May 2018
    Elon tweeted: "All X & S will soon work with no key if your phone pairs w Bluetooth". Hopefully, that would mean existing cars, and not just new ones.
  • Yeah, I expect it will work on all S and X's. But maybe it will work a bit better on the newer ones.
  • edited May 2018
    I'd still bring my fob with me, except to the gym.
  • edited November -1
    I saw the Elon tweet too, but read "all" to mean all new cars, not every car already made. Love to be wrong on this, but based on my knowledge of MCU2, I do think it will be a MCU2 feature. For MCU1, if it can be offered, it may come with some limitations. I guess we'll know shortly!
  • edited May 2018
    Still thinking through how that works for someone who will be parking it in a valet garage during the workday...
  • JADJAD
    edited November -1
    He did say a 'strong' bluetooth signal. May need the stronger signal for old MCU and the newer one would work better. With the 3, range has not been an issue, just works or needs bluetooth on/off to work on some phones. Hopefully they will work out the bugs as the system is really cool when it works perfectly.
  • edited May 2018
    As long as I still get a key fob on my new S. Hoping they don't replace it with the key card...
  • edited May 2018
    "I prefer the fob which always works."

I don't find that to always be the case. With a fresh battery my FOB works 95% of the time, and the reliability goes down as the battery ages... needing to be replaced every 3-4 months...

I drive about 4 hours a day and the length of time the fob spends in the car may contribute to its short battery life.
  • edited May 2018
    @TeslaTap: “I guess we’ll know shortly!”
    By “shortly,” you mean “soon,” right? ;^)

I don’t see how the fob-less option is helpful. If your phone runs out of juice, or if it doesn’t work for any other reason, you’re screwed without your fob. The Model 3 has a keycard backup as a failsafe. What’s the backup plan in a Model S or X? The fob? If so, then uh, catch 22 much?
  • edited May 2018
    @SUN 2 DRV: Based on what I've seen in the Model 3 forum, the key fob is much more reliable than the Model 3 "phone key," even if it doesn't work for you 100% of the time. I think your experience is not typical -- I've never had an issue with the key fob in the 2+ years I've owned my Model S.

I agree with the others here who prefer the key fob to the phone (or key card); I hope they never get rid of it. For me personally, I can't see any normal situation where I would have my phone but having my key fob would be a problem.
  • edited May 2018
    My key fob is in my key case with the rest of my keys.
  • edited May 2018
    I do enjoy options! Having both the key fob and the phone, with this additional new feature, it'll just make using the phone seamless.

@marylands85 failsafe is 1-800-call-tesla
  • edited May 2018
    @SUN 2 DRV - is your FOB connected to the vehicle all night long? You probably need a signal blocking pouch to keep it in at night.

Elon also tweeted months ago that we would get dashcam features, and nothing has happened since. All of this may happen in time, but apparently 6+ months is no big deal. Don't get me wrong, I love my MX (with new MS being delivered tomorrow), and wouldn't trade them, but don't hang your hat on timing based on a tweet (ie I should have bought a dash cam already).
  • edited May 2018
    To edit, I should have said 9 months and still waiting for a 'coming soon' feature (referring to the dashcam).
  • edited May 2018
    I'm not in the least bit thrilled to hear this. Twice already within the past year, I've gotten locked out of our Teslas, unable to get into them using the Tesla app, Remote S app, or Teslab app.

On both occasions, I had no choice but to waste even more time, and retrieve the key fob itself before being unable to unlock the car.

Our much touted smartphones, of any brand, function perfectly - until you actually need them to to work.
  • edited May 2018
    @TeslaTap.com "I saw the Elon tweet too, but read "all" to mean all new cars, not every car already made. Love to be wrong on this, but based on my knowledge of MCU2, I do think it will be a MCU2 feature. For MCU1, if it can be offered, it may come with some limitations. I guess we'll know shortly!"

I think you meant soon!
  • edited November -1
    If all it takes is the ability to pair bluetooth, my '13 steals the audio from my phone when I walk by it, every time. I'm pretty sure the connection is good enough.
  • edited May 2018
    @TeslaTap.com "I saw the Elon tweet too, but read "all" to mean all new cars, not every car already made. Love to be wrong on this, but based on my knowledge of MCU2, I do think it will be a MCU2 feature. For MCU1, if it can be offered, it may come with some limitations. I guess we'll know shortly!"

I think you meant soon!
  • edited May 2018
    @bill it will be ALL model S & X cars, old and new. It'll be via a firmware push.
  • edited November -1
    I really want the dash cam option Elon spoke of. Somebody put a wad of gum, perfectly centered, on my S glass roof last week.
  • edited May 2018
    @Tropopause. Tesla haters attack again. I'm sorry to hear that someone did this to your car.
  • edited November -1
    Agreed. Imagine having 360-degree cameras for security! Nobody in their right mind would touch a Tesla. Please Elon make it so!