Model 3

White Bumper Mismatch - Tesla Policy

edited November -1 in Model 3
Some background: Configured 4/6.... VIN 4/11... 158XX

So I'm at the 1 yard line after all the delays/train breaking down/etc, and finally my vehicle arrived in MA yesterday (5 weeks after it left Fremont...don't ask). Yesterday I got the call saying the car arrived at Delivery Center but did NOT pass inspection and was being sent to a body shop for a "paint" issue.

I went in to the delivery center today, and they confirmed it was the famous "Pearl White Bumper Mismatch". I guess this is now a thing, and Tesla does NOT want these bumper color mismatch clown cars driving around on the roads, so they will not deliver them anymore (It's interesting how somehow it passes inspection at factory though).

So basically you have two options: 1.) Postpone delivery until the body work is done. 2.) Get another VIN.

I chose option 1, and apparently the body work will be done in 1 week or less.

Whats another week after 2 Years and 2 months?

Comments

• edited May 2018
    It could be a paint curing issue. The colors might match coming off the line, so there is nothing to fail inspection. Weeks later on a truck or train in the heat and sun might make the difference. Good that they are realizing this and talking action.
  • edited May 2018
    The bumpers could even be painted seperaty in a different place by a subcontractor. Base material of the bumper might be a factor also.
  • edited May 2018
    They said it’s a manufacturer issue
  • edited May 2018
    I am supposed to take delivery of a white M3 next Wednesday the 23rd. I wonder if this might happen for me as well.
  • edited May 2018
    Happened to me. Delayed for 1 week. Exact story as OP. In Houston here. I’m happy that they want it to be right before handing it over.
  • edited May 2018
    Hmmm... My delivery is the 25th and if it gets delayed into June, I'll miss the WA state sales tax exemption. I really hope my car either doesn't have this issue or somehow gets fixed early!
  • edited May 2018
    Heh. He said 'clown cars'... I didn't know Tesla made Volkswagen clones...
  • edited May 2018
    I picked mine up on 5/4, no paint mismatch. VIN 173xx
  • edited May 2018
    I wonder if there was a single bad batch? I haven't been paying attention to the affected VINs.
  • edited May 2018
    Picking my white M3 tomorrow. VIN 23XXX. Hopefully no issue!