Model 3

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

2018.21.9 is BIG update to autopilot

Comments

• edited November -1
    I’m still on 2018.18.3 too. It will get to us eventually. Don’t worry.
  • edited June 2018
    Just installed 21.9 tonight. Finally we get cars in adjacent lanes like MS/X has had. Really looking forward to checking out the improved cornering in AP. I use AP a lot for my long commute to work and there are some turns where it is a bit slow to react in exactly the same way every time. If there are no cars I’ll let it go but if I see some I take over. Maybe now it will not require take over.
  • edited June 2018
    @aslammazad, I may be negative but I am honest. I am on 2018.18.3 and autopark aint worth shit. I will await 2018.21 and get back to you.
  • edited June 2018
    I timed the nag in my Model X today on 21.9. From hands-off to first nag on a freeway was 70 seconds.

@rdovale
    Sounds like you don’t have lane change enabled in the Driver Assist settings.
  • edited June 2018
    I think the update is terrible. You now have to put your hands on the steering wheel twice as fast as before. I know......they should be there all the time, but im watching the road and have my hands near at all times. But for long traffic filled trips, it was much better to only have to put your hand on the wheel every couple minutes instead of every 15-30 seconds.
  • edited November -1
    Your hands should never leave the wheel. This is not a fully autonomous vehicle. The fact that so many here are annoyed by this demonstrates the problem.
  • edited June 2018
    scott8659, it demonstrates your problem.
  • edited June 2018
    @scott8659 Elon himself when doing a demo of the car didn't have his hands on the wheel. As long as they are near the wheel and your eyes never leave the road you are fine.
  • edited June 2018
    Good luck using that rationale when you cause an accident. I hope you look good in lipstick because I’m sure your cell mate would appreciate it.
  • edited June 2018
    @Scot8659

When fully implemented Model 3 is suppose to be a fully autonumous vehicle. The problem is no one knows when it will be implemented if ever.
  • edited June 2018
    The issue for me is not having it in AP with my hands off the wheel, it's the car not detecting that my hands are there. With a longer allowable period, it's more time the car can get a valid confirmation that my hands are on. I'm expecting a lot more false alarms now complaining my hands aren't there even when they are since it needs that validation more often.
  • edited November -1
    scott8659 | June 10, 2018 "Good luck using that rationale when you cause an accident. I hope you look good in lipstick because I’m sure your cell mate would appreciate it."

But wouldn't it be cool if his cellmate turns out to be Elon, for the same hands-off driving offense?
  • edited June 2018
    @James, if the space it too tight for you to open the door, then it's too tight for the adjacent cars to open their doors too. You'd be inviting some door dings that way...
  • edited June 2018
    +1 johhnykadi
    This is Tesla's attempt to idiot-proof and suicide-proof the car.
  • edited June 2018
    Ok so I went through my normal commute road which I have AP turned in for to see if it fixes the places where I need to take over. It doesn’t, but I can confirm it’s “different”. There’s a point where it gets closer to the side barrier than before. Overall I think it’s about the same, it’s not as good as human. The one thing about Elon’s “all cars made from now on will be FSD compatible” that I am concerned about is CPU and/or memory requirements. The cars in other lanes is a pretty big improvement though. Still hasn’t caught up with S/X for showing bikes and big trucks though.
  • edited June 2018
    "Your hands should never leave the wheel. This is not a fully autonomous vehicle. The fact that so many here are annoyed by this demonstrates the problem."

One has nothing to do with the other. In almost all cases where autopilot accidents made the news, it was TACC, not autosteer that was an issue. Yet nobody is saying that it's important to hover your foot over the brake pedal at all times. People don't even say that about regular cruise control, where reaction time is a lot longer than it will be to grab the wheel.

Holding the wheel doesn't mean that a person is paying attention. Not holding the wheel doesn't mean it will take longer to react. If I'm holding the wheel loosely, I will still need time to react before I take over, and the difference between that and having to grab the wheel is insignificant.

When a car drives under a truck, but it kept itself centered in the lane as it went under it, or it smashes into a fire truck but stays right in the middle of the lane as it does it, holding the wheel isn't necessary. Paying attention is necessary.
  • edited June 2018
    No matter how well I pay attention, there is no amount of attention that will prevent the car from unnecessarily slamming on the brakes.
  • edited June 2018
    The problem isn't "attention". It's a half-baked self-driving feature that is demanding that people babysit it, defeating any and all conveniences that should come from self-driving in the first place. These arguments will continue to circle around endlessly as fanbois attempt to avoid that inconvenient truth above until the software actually improves. In the meantime, cars will continue to smash into gore-points, graze barriers, bang into fire-trucks and police-cars, all under the so-called watchful eye of Tesla's vaunted sensor package and emergency braking system.
  • edited June 2018
    @Mos6507, No it is the “half-baked” driver not in control of their vehicle. Although let me repeat that I am not in favor of the nag.
  • edited June 2018
    lilbean, I find that it is not very easy to idiot-proof a thing. Idiots have some kind of supernatural ability to defeat all your best efforts.
  • edited June 2018
    So true, @billlake2000!
  • edited June 2018
  • edited June 2018
    @jjgunn | June 9, 2018
    Driver assist not "AutoPilot" - Really wish Tesla would just change the name.

I hear you, but in marketing if you don't productize a feature like this (aka give something cool a name by which people refer to it and can latch onto), it often dies on the design floor. DriverAssist just doesn't sound as cool as Autopilot. It might not've gotten legs. Musk/Tesla are selling features, and part of that is the wow/cool factor.

Now I don't disagree with you that public perception over the name has made it into something the product is NOT intended to do currently. But that's the fault of each consumer who refuses to heed the warnings (which Tesla, above all other auto manufacturers with driver assist software, have made PAINFULLY clear at this point, both in print, and in in-car visual/audio communications, alerts, etc.).
  • edited June 2018
    @billlake2000 there’s a saying “if you made something ‘idiot proof,’ you’ve merely built a better idiot.”
  • edited June 2018
    Maybe some of you need to beef up your forearms or something (do some naked ice climbing!), but I cruise in AP with either my right or left hand at 5 or 7 o’clock and my elbow on the armrest. That provides me 1) enough torque to avoid any nags (but not enough to take it off AP), 2) ability to override autosteer if it tries something I don’t like, and 3) relaxation and comfort on trips (with head on headrest I arrive less tired and with no neck soreness compared to pre-AP).