Model 3

Any chance AM Radio will ever be added to the Model 3?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Where is the CD player, 8 track, and cassette deck?
  • edited July 2019
    I had AM in my 2014 Model S, and I would say it was slightly less than just fine. The biggest issue is that it had a LOT of static whenever I went under an overpass. It was clear that it required a very strong signal to provide acceptable reception.
  • RichardKJ = FUDster. It is obvious that you are trying to drive the Tesla stock price down with such an anti-AM statement. How many shares are you short?
  • edited July 2019
    I have in the past liked reading @charles.a.braun posts. I am not sure what is going on today, but he has now attacked 3 people in this thread for no apparent reason... Welcome to the flagged psot club
  • edited July 2019
    @charles.a.braun I am actually long TSLA, but a small amount. I certainly don't want to drive down the stock price.

I just wanted to provide some support to the notion that there is some interference to AM in an EV. I didn't even say it was bad, just slightly less than just fine.

I can get my favorite AM station on FM so I'm set at home. My only complaint (not to Tesla) is that I can't get in on the road because CBS pulled all of their stations off of TuneIn in a power play for radio.com. I did ask Tesla for radio.com but got no response.
  • edited July 2019
    @lbowroom "1 in 5 is a lot higher than I expected" of AM listeners.

It could be that 1 out of 5 listens to AM over the span of 50 years. The lack of context makes the number hard to evaluate. Considering AM stations have a seriously declining number of listeners year after year, more and more AM stations are going off the air. The one area that AM adds value are those traffic advisories in some locations, although there are more modern methods such as Waze that can provide similar info in a more useful format.

It does appear AM is dead as far as Tesla is concerned, and I don't see it ever being added. Keep in mind Tesla likely had actual statistics on AM radio usage by owners in the early Model S (i.e. knowing if a owner ever use it). Generally automakers drop features and options with low utilization when they know it. Few automakers are able to track feature usage like Tesla, so they really don't know what features are being used by their customers and leave stuff in because they always have in the past. CD drives still appear in many cars, yet I bet fewer than 5% are used anymore by the owners when USB and Streaming options are available.
  • edited July 2019
    Oy vey. Some will twist themselves into a pretzel to defend Tesla.
  • edited July 2019
    @rxlawdude - Not defending Tesla. I actually have no issue with having AM radio. Just stating my belief that Tesla will never include AM radio going forward and some of the reasons why they may have gone this direction.
  • edited July 2019
    Funny how showing facts about AM usage and countries compeltely removing analog radio is "defending Tesla".

Some people like to form opinions based in Facts.

Some people like to like in make bellieve world.
  • edited July 2019
    Funny how asserting what the EU is doing as dispositive of what North American vehicles have and will have for at least the foreseeable future.

Some people haven't been in a cell-free area with "TUNE TO XXXX AM FOR INFORMATION WHEN FLASHING."

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the spinning wheel icon on TuneIn!
  • edited July 2019
    Sounds like a problem for Emergency Broadcast System to fix, not Tesla. Their system is outdated and antiquated. Tesla need to be profitable, they are trying to get costs under control and sell an affordable car.
  • edited July 2019
    Can I get an example of what info you got from that message?

"TUNE TO XXXX AM FOR INFORMATION WHEN FLASHING."
  • edited July 2019
    "If you're listening to this, you are the resistance."
  • edited July 2019
    Be alert for icy conditions 20 miles north of Coldville, carry chains.
  • edited July 2019
    Watch out for Elk on the road, this recording has not been updated in 30 years, end of alert broadcast.
  • edited July 2019
    If shielding is in fact required to make it work, my personal opinion is that as AM is dying and I would not want to pay extra for my car to support a technology that is essentially dead and that I wouldn't personally use. If there was no cost change for me, I don't particularly care then whether it is included or not.
  • edited July 2019
    No more buggy whips included either, what are they thinking?
  • edited July 2019
    Here in NJ the few towns that have those local AM emergency broadcasts are such weak, poor signals you can barely hear them when you're parked next to the transmitter. And I have tried many times. And they are rarely updated with any useful information. They need to all go to SMS, Nixle.com or similar services. And reverse 911 push outs. Other than that any AM station I want for news is on HD sub channel or Radio.com and Tunein.com. Now, Tesla adding Radio.com along with TuneIN would be a huge help! And that can't be too difficult or costly.
  • edited July 2019
    You’ll get AM when they add the cassette tape option
  • edited July 2019
    Ok, now defend the omission of a satellite radio?

Dying tech, or which other lame excuse for that.
  • edited July 2019
    Licensing is my guess. Tesla doesn't seem to like to do it. If they don’t want to carry it, what do you want me to say? That Tesla is making a grievous error that they must have satellite radio. I will go on a hunger strike until they provide it?
  • edited July 2019
    I’ve had Sirius on several cars and do still on my pacifica. I like to listen to Howard Stern. I always found the bit rate for music absolutely awful though. Prefer to listen to Howard on the app so I can jump around. Music quality is better streaming on the app too. Yes, I am aware that if I’m on an area with no LTE I’m shit out of luck
  • edited July 2019
    @lbow, you mean the same licensing that virtually every manufacturer pays, even for entry level cars? That licensing fee? An don't forget the MS and MX have had this as an option or standard forever.

C'mon man.
  • edited July 2019
    Should I post a link for an aftermarket satellite radio kit on Amazon to really rile things up?
  • edited July 2019
    Not necessary. Half assed solutions need not apply.