General

Vote of support for Apple CarPlay in Teslas

edited November -1 in General
Just wanted to chime in here and say that Apple CarPlay would be a tremendous addition to my Model S. (Or, if for some reason it's not possible to add, I hope Tesla would consider its inclusion in new models.)

My phone is the center of my life, and it's so much more convenient to have the car honor that (as my wife's Honda does.) Not to mention that I have found Apple Maps' routing to be significantly better than that in even Tesla's newest Maps upgrade.

My Model S is the best car I've ever owned, hands-down. But CarPlay is convenient enough that I likely wouldn't buy another Tesla unless it supported it.

Comments

• edited July 2018
    I vote no
  • SOSO
    edited July 2018
    No
  • edited July 2018
    No
  • edited July 2018
    Sorry, disagree. If your make or break reason for owning a Tesla is Apple car play go buy another car.
  • edited July 2018
    I would like support for Apple CarPlay.
  • edited July 2018
    I vote no but I'd vote yes for Tesla to give everyone a new Roadster for free.
  • edited July 2018
    I sincerely hope your phone is not the center of your life.
  • edited July 2018
    @carlk +1 :-)
  • edited July 2018
    +1
  • bpbp
    edited July 2018
    Musk promised improved smartphone integration/screen mirroring support several years ago, though it might not be using Apple CarPlay and AndroidAuto (the combination other manufacturers are using).

As other manufacturers start introducing competitive long range EVs and they come up with a long distance charging solution, Tesla will likely be forced to compete more on features - and when that happens unless Tesla has done something to improve smartphone integration, they could risk sales.

We haven't heard anything from Tesla for a while about smartphone integration, other than vague promises on media player improvements.

Maybe they'll surprise us with this in the Version 9 release - which has taken a year longer than what Tesla has typically spent between major releases...
  • edited November -1
    No, thanks.
  • edited July 2018
    No
  • edited November -1
    I say give the option to use it if they want, but do not force it. Not everyone wants it, like not everyone listens to AM radio. But Tesla should have the ability to support Car play.

I would like the ability to trigger Siri from the steering wheel. Using the 'Hey Siri' method is very flaky because the phone's microphone (which is on the bottom of the phone when it is sitting in the center cradle) is not pointing towards you.

I can also reach down and find the button on the side of the phone (I have an iPhone X), but that is not as convenient as just pressing the button on the steering wheel.
  • edited July 2018
    I need Apple CaPlay...
    I rely on my my mfi (made for iPhone) hearing aids. They allow me to clearly hear phone calls, music/audiobooks, navigation guidance, ... and they isolate surrounding noise, which are annoying in a car.
    I’ve tried Bluetooth connections in our cars, they are nowhere as useful.
    So, for us hard of hearing using mfi, iPhones are not a choice, they’re necessary.
  • edited July 2018
    hard pass
  • edited November -1
    This is not a vote but rather a comment. I would love to see Tesla to support Apple Car and/or Android Auto however I do not expect this to happen at all. Tesla just does not have talents to add these features into their hardware and software. Just look at the current mess of the map and navigation system on the Tesla: traffic condition layer is always green at certain zoom level, map auto zoom base on location instead of speed (notice when you are on the interchange or overpass, map zoom in and out madly because it think you are on surface road instead of highway)

I only drive with my Google map/navigation. It is sad because otherwise, my Model S is the best driving machine.
  • edited July 2018
    tesla is not interested.... or actively opposed.
  • edited July 2018
    For those that want to seem what the features and problems are with CarPlay on Tesla: https://teslatap.com/articles/carplay-on-tesla/
  • edited July 2018
    If Tesla wanted to support Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, they would already be implemented. As TeslaTap's article says, there are lots of reasons why Tesla might not want to support them.

@S75RedRidingHood: Do you really think Tesla can design the control software for the car you're willing to drive, but they're incapable of implementing CarPlay support? If you have that little confidence in their abilities, maybe you should be driving something else. :-)
  • edited July 2018
    @EVRider Tesla can make great EV but that does not mean they are good at everything.
    Have anyone here ever use the browser on the Tesla? It can not render its own Tesla.com web site for heaven sake!!! And you think a group of engineer who can not build a decent browser can actually build an Apple Car display system? I doubt it.
  • edited July 2018
    It’s not that Tesla can’t build it, it’s just that it isn’t a priority for them. The browser might be crappy, but the rest of the UI is nicely designed. If Tesla thought the browser was important, Model 3 would have one already. If Tesla thought CarPlay was important, we would have it already.
  • edited November -1
    No!
  • edited November -1
    Ford has CarPlay. Volvo too has CarPlay. Ford and Volvo's infotainment systems look and work exactly the same. Ford will never be better than Volvo and Volvo will never be better than Ford. Tesla absolutely has no interest to put itself into this lame group.
  • edited July 2018
    Exactly!
  • bpbp
    edited July 2018
    If Tesla provides screen mirroring, it would need to support both Apple and Android devices, which is why other manufacturers are supporting both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Though it's more likely Tesla would go for a custom/3rd party solution, like they've done with the new navigation software than being constrained by the Apple and Android solutions.

It's obvious this is a gap in Tesla's functionality. And now that they've got the Model 3 software implemented and working at a level comparable to S/X, would not be surprised to see this included in an upcoming software release.