Model 3

Stealth Mode Location on Mobile App

edited November -1 in Model 3
Just got my new model 3, Yeah!! I'm the primary driver and I paired my phone to the car, for backup I paired my wife's phone. Using the mobile app my wife can now see where I am at all times. This was a feature in the Iphone and I disabled that. I'm a trust worthy guy but any married folks out there know that if this information is available the other half will look.
We need a feature to disable location from connected phones unless the phone belongs to the primary driver.

Help, I'm an engineer open source and I can help build it.

Comments

• edited July 2018
    When I get my car, I will be the -sole- driver of it, so my wife won't be getting the app on her phone.

I'd suggest you simply remove the app from her phone until there is a way to disable it from inside the car...
  • edited July 2018
    Really?? there is no way to disable this feature? I can't let her download the app till it can be disabled.
  • edited July 2018
    You guys must lead more exciting lives than I do. I'm either at work or at hockey, so my wife pretty much knows where I'm at.
  • edited November -1
    @gregscott: If it really bothers you, remove the app from your wife’s phone. You don’t need a “backup” on her phone, but if you feel you need one, then live with the consequences.
  • edited July 2018
    I guess I’m lucky in that I don’t care if my wife knows where I am at all times.

@chintannbhatt: Bonus points for using the “I can’t let her download the app” phrase. Hmmm
  • edited July 2018
    You *can* turn it off from inside the car, but of course, then if your car is stolen, you'll have a harder time locating it, particularly if you forget to turn it back on. And you'll also have a harder time streaming music or downloading updates when they come in, because it's turning off the LTE that disables location view.

IMO, if you are so trustworthy, then she should know where you are anyway, so what does it matter if she can see the car's location? But...not my marriage, not my problem. It was a rhetorical question. I'm the same as @gmkellogg -- I'm either at work, or on my way to/from work. Occasionally, I stop for an allergy shot on my way home.
  • edited July 2018
    I love that my husband can open the app and see where I am. Keeps him from calling with "have you left work yet? When are you getting home?" :)
  • edited July 2018
    I prefer the call, this is why I'm not on social media. I need some level of privacy even from the wife. ;-) I don't want technology to track me without my consent.
  • edited November -1
    @Kathy: I do that too to my wife, so I know when to start dinner :)
    She usually obviates it by texting me when she’s leaving. One of my favorite gestures is to start precooling her S as she walks from her hospital to her parking lot 5 minutes away. She texts she’s leaving her office, then I watch for her phone to start the trek to the car and begin cooling.
  • edited July 2018
    No problem here with knowing where each of us are(two Teslas now), very comforting. The downside is she sees how fast I am driving, sometimes.
  • edited July 2018
    @dk, even bigger downside, she can now limit your speed (well, assuming you have a newer flavor of firmware). I played with that on the S. It makes a fun noise when the limit is reached.
  • edited July 2018
    P.S. if you seriously want to shut off visibility short term, change the website password.
  • edited July 2018
    gregscott | July 25, 2018
    I don't want technology to track me without my consent.
    Too late....Elon & your wife are tracking you right now. Only way to avoid it is live in the mountains with solar/wind & use cash only
  • edited July 2018
    @DJ :) yeh bummer, I haven't told her about that function I expect it to happen soon.
  • edited July 2018
    @djharrington: Precooling your wife's car is so nice! I gotta remember that. (Damn spell checker "fixed" it to "precooking", which is kinda the opposite.)
  • edited July 2018
    @Charley
    recooking would be a nice option for the winter in duluth
  • edited November -1
    I precook her in the Winter. A simple gesture with big dividends :-)
  • edited July 2018
    Only my phone is connected. Gave my wife the key card. I am not afraid of her tracking me, more of her clicking something like stop charging. I am a developer married to a very non tech woman.
  • edited July 2018
    Set the car to service mode, it will disable mobile access until you want it back on.
  • edited July 2018
    She should find a husband that she can trust. Problem solved. ;)
  • edited November -1
    According to page 6 of the manual, you can turn off mobile access in Settings->Safety and Security. Just remember to turn it back on when you stop skulking around.
  • edited July 2018
    Ninja’d!
  • edited July 2018
    This question sincerely confuses me. I guess I am lucky in that I could not care less if my SO knows where I am.
  • edited July 2018
    I actually like this feature, so if my mobile gets stolen the thief can also steal my car with it. It's amazing to have a backup phone where I can track the car in case of theft. I don't have any issues with my wife looking where the car is.

Also there is nothing you can build for this, you can only have this feature if Tesla builds it and I think they have a lot more in their priority list than worrying about someone's wife tracking him.
  • edited July 2018
    A salesman, a priest and a mathematician were in a conference. One of them asked, "what is preferrable, a wife or a mistress?".

The salesman immediately said, "a mistress, of course. Less commitment, and more fun".

The priest said, "there is risk of loss, and less moral. So wife"

The mathematician said, "We should have both. That way the wife thinks you are with the mistress and the mistress thinks you are with your wife, but you can be in the office doing mathematics!"