Model X

Looking to buy a Model X but have some questions..

2»

Comments

• edited November -1
    @MacDemarcoTesla, they give you up to your first year to decide whether or not to get a maintenance plan. It is basically a pay ahead for a discount on service. As such my plan is to wait and then buy it... basically there is no advantage that I could see to let them hold onto my money for an extra year.
  • edited July 2018
    Do you guys think i should wait to get the 2019 model X? I'd lose half the federal tax credit but if someone asked me would you upgrade your 2018 for $3000 that could possibly have upgraded features
  • edited July 2018
    @MacDemarcoTesla - I didnt op for the maintenance plan. at least not yet. i figure my X is relatively low miles since not used much for long distance driving. I figure the maintenance plan is a must have for folks putting 20K miles a year on their car, but not for me.

As for 2019 model. I assume you know that Tesla makes changes almost on a monthly basis - NOT like traditional car makers. And, it is hard to predict what changes they will make and when. Maybe others have better info about the future than me. Let them speak up.
  • edited July 2018
    ps - today Electrek has an article on an interior refresh for the S and X. very interesting!
    https://electrek.co/2018/07/30/tesla-model-s-x-interior-refresh-exclusive-first-look/
  • edited July 2018
    Bad idea to make it like the Model 3 in my opinion. Having both, the display is what I love about the X.
  • edited July 2018
    lilbean - sorry to dissappoint you, but Electrek says the insturment cluster behind the steering wheel is retained. just scroll down the article to see an image of it.
  • edited November -1
    Mac what about leasing it for 3 years?
  • edited July 2018
    Get the 100 and the 20 inch wheels. In the winter if you have to charge a 75D up to 230 miles to make it to the next stop comfortably it will take the 75D probably 40 more minutes to achieve that than the 100D will. If you are making a long trip an extra 40 minutes at every supercharger stop is a pain in the you know what.

I did a 600 mile trip in 10 -15 degree weather in my X90D and had to charge to over 200 miles at every supercharger just to make it to the next one. It is pain sakingly slow. I also have a S100D up from a previously owned S85D and it is unbelievable how much faster it charges over the 85D once your charge hits about 150 miles (and a 75D will charge slower than a 85). I know I am comparing a S to an X but you get the idea it WILL make a big difference on long trips and I make a lot of them.
  • edited July 2018
    @Ddowns2050 it just depends what you are doing with your Tesla. I work from home, very small daily commute for groceries and in the winter I don't travel anywhere far. I'm thinking the 75D is good for me
  • edited July 2018
    Be careful about dates and costs with the extended and maintenance, they are based on the rules in effect when you take delivery. Currently the extended must be purchased within 30 days after your normal warranty expires BUT the price increases 180 days after you take delivery until you buy it. The mainatenance must be purchased at or before the first maintenance which is one year or 12,500 miles whichever comes FIRST.
    If you plan to purchase them, I would do so now because the price will certainly not go down only increase.
  • edited July 2018
    I like the new look quite a bit, as it's becoming sleeker and more modern minimalist. IMO the current instrument cluster and center console look dated and not nearly as modern as the MX exterior.

However, I'd rather get the full $7500 IRS tax credit now plus the guaranteed 100% Section 179 deduction rather than simply hope the tax credit and Section 179 will be extended. (Section 179 is almost always extended one year at a time, in December, and doesn't always allow 100% accelerated deduction each year it's extended.)
  • edited July 2018
    One warning about the prepaid maintenance, I paid for 8 years of prepaid maintenance on my 2015 MS, but I was commuting a ton in it, and they're sticking by the 1 year OR 12,500 miles, so if you pay for 8 annual services but drive 25,000 miles a year, you'll only get 4 services, or drive 100,000 miles in the first year, you'll ONLY be getting one service. So if you drive a lot, don't prepay for service.
  • edited July 2018
    @MacDemarcoTesla in your original post you said you lived in a cold state and that you would be tempted to drive to other states to national parks etc.. If you are going to do that I would go with the 100D with 20" wheels. If you aren't going to drive much you are right the 75D will probably be fine and I'm sure you would love either. But I've heard many people say they wish they had bigger battery, I've never heard anyone say they wished they had a smaller one. You know your situation better than anyone else and only you can decide for you, things are good if these are the decisions you are having to make.
  • edited July 2018
    @Wilber That display with the speed on it? Hmm. I don’t like it.
  • edited July 2018
    David, although you will not get the service for 8 years, you will still get the number of services purchased and at a lower price than if you paid separately. There is a savings IF you still get the service every 12.5k so you save money by prepaying. Of course if you would only get the service once a year regardless of mileage you save money BUT note the wording in the extended warranty which appears to require the services EVERY 12.5k or year whichever is less.
  • edited July 2018
    “The Owner’s Manual includes specific recommendations regarding the use, operations, and maintenance of the Vehicle. To maintain the validity of this Vehicle ESA, You must follow correct operations procedures and have Your Vehicle serviced as recommended by Tesla during the Agreement Period of this Vehicle ESA. If requested, proof of required service, including receipts showing date and mileage of the Vehicle at the time of service, must be presented before any repairs under this Vehicle ESA commence. Service within 1,000 miles (1,600 km) and/or 30 days of Tesla’s recommended intervals shall be considered compliant with the terms of this Vehicle ESA. ”
  • edited July 2018
    @Ddowns2050 If anything I'd do my roadtrips during the summer time and thats maybe even once a year lol. I'm just thinking I could save the $16.5k
  • edited July 2018
    @MacDemarcoTesla you are probably fine then. Road trips in the winter are a killer when you have to charge the battery above 80%. Summer road trips require a lot less battery. You are going to love whatever you buy!
  • edited July 2018
    MacDemarcoTesla - sorry I am late to the party. I have an 70D S (Nov 2015), a 90D X (Dec 2016) and a First production Model 3 (Mar 2018).

Thoughts for you:
    First sound system - not sure what was wrong with the X you drove, but the sound system in the X is really good - I have just basic sound system in it too. Now comparing to the 3, the 3 is a little better, but the 3 has the upgraded sound system - so it should be better. Upgraded sound in X is going to be on par or maybe even better than the 3. The S i have is standard as well and not as good as the X standard. So some playing may need to be done, or someone had the fade all the way to the front windshield :)

Second - Model X or 3 - looks like you have decided here but for me - I love all 3 :) The X is a must for me as we have 4 kids. But that being said - the X is smoother than the 3. The 3 is a home run - but the X and S has a smoothness that the 3 is lacking. Pure cost? the 3, but room, especially if you have 3 kids, the X.

Third - Battery. This is the hardest one for anyone to answer and for you to decide on. I first went with the 70D on the S because the most I had ever spent on a car was a Nissan Altima - $20,000. I had bought an Expedition at $50,000, but the S, even at 70D, autopilot and pano roof was $80,000! I went back and forth though a lot on 70 vs 85 (options at the time). Just couldn't justify the extra $10,000 at the time for a little more range and 1 sec faster 0-60. S has been fantastic and was super glad I didn't get bigger battery, as that savings could then be put into our X (was not planning on it, but after a year of driving the S, I couldn't stand driving the Expedition for family things!).

So X - we had to get the 90 battery - to see family, we have to traverses down the 191 through Moab and Arizona. There is a stretch there - superchargers are in Blanding, UT and Holbrook AZ - 220 miles apart!. Could divert over to New Mexico - but that would add 2 hours to the trip (that is already 9.5 hours long!) Even with the 90, we have to charge up to 250 (almost max charge) in Blanding to make it - meaning we have to sit there for almost an hour half way through our trip. My wife just barely made the trip, and after her doing it by herself, I would love to have the 100 battery (not offered at the time, came out just after we took delivery) - 90 gets 257 miles, the 100 gets 297. That extra 40 would be huge in our case - not that we travel a ton - much like you, mostly just around town, but I would pay for the bigger one at this point. Plus the charging is based on battery size, so you will get a much faster charging and off on the road again with the 100 than the 75. The other key to consider, you don't want to be constantly pulling into superchargers with 5% battery left. You really would like 10-20%, at least that is what the nav system tries to get you to before it sends you on your way from charging. So a 75 range really does become minimal and not as pleasant if you are taking a long road trip (500 plus miles). Of course, it is personality too - some have no problems stopping every 150-180 miles and waiting for 30 minutes each time on these long road trips. While nice, for me, after enough of these stops, you just want to get there.

So you really have to weigh though, how much are you really going to travel? How far in a day too? How fast do you want to get there? What are the superchargers like along the route you want to go? Are you stuck going 5 under the speed limit to make it to the next charger? (Looking at you Tucson to Holbrook No way to make that trip in a 75 D or even our 90D, until they get the Globe charger in! Have to go out of our way into Casa Grande, and even then, charge to 250 and barely make it to Holbrook!) Sorry, I digress. But you really have to look at where you plan to go, how often etc...

Last, Autopilot - a must. Sorry, just a must. I don't have it on my 3 as we live in a small town where no traffic and the 3 is just our town kids car. So just didn't want to pay $5,000 more, as we already have my paycheck direct deposited into Tesla's account. We have taken the 3 on one trip, and I desperately missed my Autopilot (have AP 1 in Model S, EAP (or AP2) in X). It is that good - and don't agree with the comment of having to be MORE aware. I am aware, but not the heavy concentration that driving without takes. No, driving is not that bad, but once you do a long trip with and without, you realize how much more relaxed and refreshed you feel with EAP than driving by yourself. Your mind really is doing a lot of work and minor adjustments constantly made to make sure you are in the center of your lane. When EAP is doing it, all you are watching for is make sure nothing goofy happens in edge case conditions...

Sorry for the long write up, but am more than happy to give more answers to questions you may have. Battery - 75 might work fantastic for you and might be exactly what you need, and no need to spend more. But if you plan to travel, you might, and it is maybe just a might, regret not having the more range.
  • edited August 2018
    I think regarding battery size and a travel, I really depends on your mindset. When we are in a hurry to get somewhere, we fly. I feel confident traveling just about anywhere with my 75d with 22” wheels but I’m all about the journey. I stop every 100 miles for a stretch break regardless of range. Might as well juice up a bit when we stop.