Model 3

Computer takes a while to boot up when getting in car

edited November -1 in Model 3
Has anyone experienced this problem? It seems independent of how long I've parked the car (it just happened after parking in the post office for 10 minutes) . and happens quite often.

I get in the car, screen is black. Step on the brake pedal, car makes noise, screen is still black. Only after about 30 seconds the brushed metal background with the Tesla logo shows up on the screen, and another 10 seconds before it goes to the normal screen. Music streaming is unavailable for a minute afterwards, backup camera is also black for a while.

I called tech support and the guy said he has not heard of that problem but future updates will probably fix it, and it's normal for the car to go to sleep to save energy. It hasn't happened for the first couple weeks when I owned the car, so I still believe something has gone wrong. It shouldn't go to a state where it has to start from a cold boot after parking just for 10 minutes.

I'll call again to whine and moan, but I'm wondering if any body else here has any input?

Thanks

Comments

• edited August 2018
    Definitely no, though only a couple weeks' experience so far. I don't think I've even seen the brushed metal Tesla screen. My experience is I get in and the screen is simply on--no waiting. What software are you on? We've been on 24.1 and 26.1.
  • edited August 2018
    I also have this problem! Sometimes I get the Tesla logo and sometimes just from Black to On. Very annoying. Nothing works during that time. No AC, Radio, Etc...
  • edited August 2018
    Once I got into the car and the screen immediately went black and ac turned off. Once I touched the screen it turned on. I do have my iPhone linked so maybe this wakes up the car.
    Definitely have not experienced what you describe.
  • edited August 2018
    Gotta love that answer, "haven't heard of that problem but future updates will probably fix it". Say Huh?!? :^)

Haven't experienced your problem yet (knock on wood)... Screen is always instant on and so is the last streaming station.
  • edited August 2018
    Happens to me once or twice a week; still on 2018.21.9 software.

Note that car still works - I can start driving with screen blank, AC off, etc. Eventually (<1 min) screen starts again and behaves normally.
  • edited August 2018
    Well, I got my software update a few hours after my earlier post. Very interesting timing...

No screen blackouts since on 2018.26.3, but still too soon to say if it was the software upgrade. I have to say, though, Summon is very cool,
  • edited August 2018
    My screen turns on as soon as I get in the car.
    It seems your car was rebooting every time you got it,
    Probably should take it in if it happens again.
  • edited August 2018
    Yeah mine does this not overnight but on occasion after a small period of time. it’s not really something that has bothered me though. if it keeps doing this just go on the app and wake it up before you leave.
  • edited August 2018
    This is common when your car is waking up from deep sleep. If you don't like this, "wake up" the car by opening the tesla app before you're heading out to your car.
  • edited November -1
    It happen all of the time to me. When I updated the software works well now. Currently on 26.3 was on 21.9
  • edited October 2018
    I have had this issue on 2018.39 on my model 3. It’s a bit aggravating.
  • edited October 2018
    I was having that issue. Tesla said it was a firmware problem. Got the latest software at the time, and still no luck. Tesla replaced the computer and that fixed the problem
  • edited October 2018
    I have this exact same issue. It’s not widespread, but I’ve found various posts about it here and on the other forums. Most do not seem to get this resolved and are just being told that firmware will fix it. I’ve only seen one person get it resolved by having tesla replace the computer module.
  • edited October 2018
    Have seen this as well and it's happening more frequently. Three times in the last week. On warm days, the biggest issue is that the A/C doesn't kick on until some point of the boot process.
  • edited October 2018
    My car has the same issue. Sometimes the screen pops right up, sometimes it stays black for 30 seconds to a minute before the Tesla T appears, then the screen goes live. The biggest issue for me is the lack of a backup camera because rear visibility isn't very good.

If enough people either file bug reports or open service tickets I expect this will get fixed in a minor update.
  • edited October 2018
    I took delivery of my dual-motor on Sept 23rd. The blank screen problem has happened to me every day since then... including the day I brought it home from service, and was told that they couldn't reproduce it, and that there were no errors recorded. I was asked to mark the exact date and time (to the minute) when it happens, so that they can better track it. I recorded six events over six consecutive days, and sent the time-stamped videos to service. I was then told that Tesla is aware of this, and that a future software update will fix it. I was told that this is a "deep sleep" that it is waking up from. I asked why none of my Model 3-owning friends and relatives experience this. Crickets in response.

So this happens to me once or twice per day. Randomly. Could be after ten minutes, could be overnight. Sometimes it fires up immediately of course. Other times, it takes 30 seconds. Sometimes it takes a full minute. And often even after the screen comes up, I still can't perform certain tasks for several minutes (playing music, navigating, opening the trunk). It is random and annoying... made worse by not having any clear picture of why I'm one of the rare recipients of the problem, nor how it will actually be fixed.

It sure doesn't impress people when I give them a test ride, and we're sitting there staring at a blank screen as the centerpiece to this technology.

Oh... mine sometimes flickers as well. I've seen this in almost all other cars. Randomly.
  • edited October 2018
    I too have this problem took delivery of my Performance Model September 17th - shortly after that I got my 1st update - have had random resets every since... No rhyme or reason - sometimes it's overnight other times its just a couple of minutes, opened a ticket with tech support says they are aware of the issue in the fleet and it will be fixed by means of a future firmware update... I personally don't believe they have a clue how to fix...
  • edited October 2018
    My P3D+ was made on 9/13 /18, picked up Fremont delivery Center 9 / 25 / 18. how far the issue did not come up with the original software. However, once version 39 came in, I first saw it. It did not appear until I loaded my 32GB music stick into one of the front ports. it has happened a couple times today, and a couple times in the days before that.

I'm going to add a trouble ticket, but it sounds like they know that there's some type of problem. However mine only stays blank for about 30 seconds at the most.
  • edited October 2018
    Given the info in the following, I decided to cancel my service appointment:

https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/black-screen-getting-into-the-car.7155/post-162557

I’ll give them some time...
  • edited October 2018
    If this were a software issue, then you would think that it would affect the majority of folks, but the reality is that only a few of us are experiencing this issue. Two of my friends have a Model3 and neither of them ever has an issue like this. I'd like to believe it's a SW issue, but the SC has been telling people since April that this is a SW issue. Some SCs have replaced the computer module and that resolves it. If any of you are going to the SC, try mentioning that to them.

BTW, you can usually tell even when not at your car when this is happening because the app will take forever to connect to the car and give you vehicle connection error.
  • edited October 2018
    The link above talks about a firmware bug. This may be in a ROM on the computer board and perhaps they are trying to work around the bug in software. My car was built in July and has the problem.
  • edited October 2018
    And, BTW, I work around the app connection problem by closing out the app (home button on iPhone) if the car does not connect quickly and then try again in a few minutes.