Model S

Key fob battery warning ⚠️ reset

edited November -1 in Model S
I got a key fob battery replacing warning on my dashboard. I replace the battery with a 2023 battery. After that the warning sign is still showing. Even when I use my other key fob the warning sign is still showing on the dashboard. Does anyone ever had this problem? How to reset?

Comments

• edited August 2018
    You might try rebooting your car by holding the brake and pressing and holding both of the thumb wheels on the steering wheel. That worked for me some time back.
  • edited August 2018
    @nccg47,
    Nice use of yellow triangle symbol!
  • edited August 2018
    Surprised ⚠️ worked :-)
  • edited August 2018
    Maybe try a CR2032 battery??
  • edited August 2018
    Didn't work for me.
  • edited August 2018
    @jfemd, +1 Yeah, using the right battery would help. :)

I have had this problem too. I couldn't get the warning to go away, even after replacing the batteries in both fobs. Something I have seen suggested here on the forum is that the regular passive detect and unlock might not be the kind of communication it needs to really check the fobs. I heard someone suggest using the button press to lock and unlock the car was able to get it to recognize the new battery and stop the warning message.
  • edited August 2018
    The other possibility is that the new battery is low energy as well.
  • edited August 2018
    @Big, isn't there a Traffic song about the low energy (er, spark) of certain boys? ;-)
  • edited August 2018
    I had the misfortune to dunk my fob in a river and needed a replacement (£160). Therefore when the battery low warning light came on I knew it was for my wife's fob.
    Hardest part is actually getting the fob open - it doesn't go the way you would think. Luckily I had the duff one to practice on and did some damage getting it open.The bottom doesn't slide as I expected, the underneath, front part of the base prises or sort of lifts away.
    New battery in, double click to unlock the car, reset the car, job done. Warning sign gone.
  • edited August 2018
    I had the misfortune to dunk my fob in a river and needed a replacement (£160). Therefore when the battery low warning light came on I knew it was for my wife's fob.
    Hardest part is actually getting the fob open - it doesn't go the way you would think. Luckily I had the duff one to practice on and did some damage getting it open.The bottom doesn't slide as I expected, the underneath, front part of the base prises or sort of lifts away.
    New battery in, double click to unlock the car, reset the car, job done. Warning sign gone.
  • edited November -1
    @rx
    +Steve Winwood
  • edited August 2018
    I’ve read a lot of these fob battery forums but I’ve never seen anyone post the battery voltage that sets off the replace batter warning. FWIW, mine goes off when the voltage goes below 3.00 Volts. A fresh Sony 2032 cell shows a voltage of 3.26 Volts. The cell is rated “3 Volts”. If you’re having problems with your fob, check the cell voltage first.
  • edited August 2018
    Please ignore. I just wanted to post one of these because I never have: ⚠️
  • edited August 2018
    Someone recently reported clearing their warning when they took both fobs to the car and rebooted the car. I guess there's more than one way to do this (thankfully).
  • edited November -1
    @sentabo, happy for you...rookie. ;-)

Always nice to ding someone you’ve met up with at SC day. :-)
  • edited August 2018
    NKYTA I think you are dinging me 'cuz you didn't know how to do it. :)
  • edited August 2018
    So how do you do it?
  • edited November -1
    Heck if I know. I just copied and pasted it from barrykmd’s post, lol.
  • edited August 2018
    Haha!
  • edited August 2018
    Surprised ⚠️ worked :-)
  • edited November -1
    Oh my goodness! I did it!
  • edited August 2018
    High five!
  • edited August 2018
    :)
  • edited August 2018
    This is the most exciting thing since sliced bread!
  • edited August 2018
    Let's see your sliced bread image embedded in the text!