Model 3

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Tesla trying to sell a demo car as "new"

Comments

• edited August 2018
    My M3 had 1 mile on it when I picked up in Fremont. The paint was still wet, too. (not really)
  • edited November -1
    "No evidence that these are in fact demo/service cars."

Yes, the only evidence is Tesla's very own paperwork that says they are demo/service units. As opposed to paperwork that says (as the paperwork for the vast majority of its 'new' vehicles do) "New."

If I were presented with the situation OP describes, I would be pretty pissed off, especially when there was an extra document to sign acknowledging the vehicle as "used."

Either Tesla is the "un-dealer" and sells cars that were built from custom specs, or from inventory of vehicles never sat in, or it becomes no different than any dealer that sells as "new" a car that many have sat in and/or test driven.
  • edited August 2018
    OT but Can we actually buy M3 or MS demos for "used" pricing??
  • edited August 2018
    Just curious... when you buy a car off the lot of a traditional Dealership... do they disclose how many people have Sat in the car looking at it? It's still sold as "New", correct ? I've taken numerous drives on cars when looking to buy... cars that were 2 or 3 miles on them at the time... they were not specific "demo" cars.... would those cars I drove on a test drive be considered not new and need to be disclosed? Just asking....

In the case of the OP, I would not be willing to sign paperwork that said it was "used" as it could have issues with the tax credits... I wouldn't really have a problem if the car was labeled "Demo" and had less than 50 miles on it at delivery... let alone the common 10 or less actual miles that we see posted on the forums.
  • edited August 2018
    @LostInTx

Useful info and perspective!
  • edited August 2018
    No response from the OP regarding the mileage on the M3. I remain skeptical of the whole tale without that response. Might just be FUD.
  • edited August 2018
    I do love all the apologists in the thread. Amazing.
  • edited August 2018
    Yup and there still is no evidence that the units are the same as being a "demo" unit as sold by dealerships.

The paperwork that was discussed, previously, did not just say just say demo/service unit as some are trying to sell here. The paperwork in the other story said new/service/demo unit (or something very similar) and no one actually has established what that means.

Why would rxlawdude leave out the fact that "new" was a term used in that paperwork but only included the demo/ service unit part?
  • edited August 2018
    A demo/inventory car can be sold as new.
  • edited August 2018
    "No response from the OP regarding the mileage on the M3. I remain skeptical of the whole tale without that response. Might just be FUD."

I've noticed there are a number of threads like this. Someone will post some tale of injustice or awful defect. Then this community gets all worked up. Some people defend Tesla. Others attack. Still others take some middle ground. But the OP remains silent after the original post. Hmmm.

Is this like the Russians using Facebook to stir up FUD in American politics? As I said, hmmm. And I'm not accusing--just wondering.
  • edited August 2018
    Charley, I am wondering as well - and skeptical....until answered, I am claiming FUD.
  • edited August 2018
    >>> Then this community gets all worked up. Some people defend Tesla. Others attack. Still others take some middle ground.

We do an excellent job of poisoning the atmosphere around here when this happens. It's the perfect "troll" - in the old usenet sense of the word. A simple, somewhat believable tale intended to cause many community members to engage in a flame war - a great deal of effect from a small amount of work from the original poster.

I'd recommend that the first response be something along the lines of "that doesn't sound like Tesla; where and when did this happen?". If the poster is true to form, they'll never be back and the post will sink into the weeds.
  • edited August 2018
    @lostinTX glad to hear that your issue was eventually resolved and that you are enjoying your car.
  • edited August 2018
    Kind of semi related, but I didn't know loaner cars get sold to the public. I was just called and told my loaner car has sold and SC need to get it back. They will bring me a new loaner and take my current one (MS P90D).
  • edited August 2018
    @ankitag, in what state were you taking delivery?

It's an old VIN - my guess is that the car was titled before to someone, and was returned. Otherwise, as far as I know it could have 500 mles on it and it would still legally be "new". But there may be state-specific regulations.

I wouldn't have signed paperwork saying the car was used either - if you had done so and the car was titled as used, you would have lost a lot of rights. In many states, lemon laws apply differently to used cars bought from a dealer, you wouldn't have qualified for at least the federal income tax credit, etc.

If your state requires that new cars with certain mileage or a high dealer repair cost have special paperwork to be titled as new, then they should have explained that to you.

I agree - it sounds like they were doing something quite unethical. I would contact the Tesla main office about it.
  • edited August 2018
    My guess - OP is a desperate troll wasting our time.
  • edited August 2018
    @TexasBob, thanks! It was quite the ordeal but worth the effort. The car is amazing.
  • edited August 2018
    We can speculate all we want as to the OP's motives, but I'll quote language given to me by Tesla when they messaged saying they'd swap the demo unit for a new one:

"You will be matched with a 2018 Model 3 marked as new in both our system, and on the title"

"..and on the title".

I didn't push or ask for clarification but I thought the language interesting. I'll let others hash what it may or may not mean.
  • edited August 2018
    @mb8 yet again obfuscates to the point of no other conclusion he's just as bad a troll as the bashers. Just a mirror image of them.

"Yup and there still is no evidence that the units are the same as being a "demo" unit as sold by dealerships.

The paperwork that was discussed, previously, did not just say just say demo/service unit as some are trying to sell here. "

Yes, but the paper didn't just say "new," as the vast majority of cars sold show. You think Tesla has someone randomly assigning a status of "demo/service" just for shits and grins?
  • edited August 2018
    Welcome back @Lost. Your thread caused a lot of angst, and when you stopped posting, you were labeled a troll by the fanbois.

Glad you're enjoying your NEW M3.
  • edited August 2018
    @rxlawdude - thank you. That thread became toxic for a variety of reasons and I simply didn't want my pseudo-name associated with it. So yes, I deleted it. I stopped posting for a good while for the very reasons I see in this thread. What may start as a meaningful discussion devolves into a polarized playground brawl with the same children, or childlike members, spewing the same nonsensical garbage.

Since I received my Model 3, I've gleaned a few nuggets of wisdom from these forums but the filter necessary to weed through the drivel makes it an increasingly painful process.

But I digress.. thank you - I'm loving my "Amp Eater".
  • edited August 2018
    @LostInTx - glad to see you back.
  • edited August 2018
    Thank you, Jordan. Testing the proverbial waters to measure its acidity.
  • edited August 2018
    @LostInTx As a new member here, I’ve already witnessed what you’re talking about. I’ve already learned who to ignore.
  • edited August 2018
    I'm taking a home delivery in Bay area around 18 miles away from Fremont Delivery center. I was told by the DA that my car will be driven by the Tesla representative and will be delivered in a two hour window. I'll be pissed off if it will have more than 50 miles on it as according to the DA it's under production and will come out of factory tomorrow and will go through detailing before driven to me on Monday. It'll sit on the lot for two days over the weekend but I hope it's not be used as demo during that period.

I'm expecting a brand new car as I'm paying for one.