Model 3

Tesla trying to sell a demo car as "new"

13»

Comments

• CSTCST
    edited August 2018
    @Frank99 - ever since @douwe converted to fortune telling and got a vehicle, that has calmed down quite a bit :)
  • For everyone’s information.

Model S and Model X ‘demo’ cars (cars used st Tesla stores for test drives’ are sale-able units. And when sold. They are sold as ‘new’ vehicles and discounted for mileage/vehicle condition. The delivery center should disclose the vehicle history however. When I asked a Tesla store if I could their model 3 demo unit, they said they could not for the time being (late July).

Also FYI, selling demo cars (loaner cars, rentals, Etc.,) is a VERY common practice in dealerships. Just go to a dealer and ask them what they have that used to be a loaner. You’ll get a discount for the miles and vehicle condition. The vehicle is sold as ‘new’ because it was never sold during its life as a service vehicle. Therefore whoever buys it is the first owner and it’s classified as a new car sale (it will qualify for all the EV tax credits).
  • edited August 2018
    I had 7 mile for my Model 3 when I took it
  • edited September 2018
    Same story happened to me yesterday. Aaron Penney of Tesla tried to sell me "beautiful" 7 month old Model 3 as "new". Apparently it showed-up as service/demo on MVPA.
  • edited October 2018
    Until it has been registered to an owner, demo or not, it is considered brand new. That's why you're getting a discount though and not full price. It's been demoed.
  • edited October 2018
    Recently got a Model X. Same BS. Picked up the car and a month later I get a call asking me to sign a form certifying this car is used. I am very pissed as I had opted for an "in stock" vehicle because they said it would cut delivery time on my custom build...not get a demo car.
  • edited October 2018
    Recently got a Model X. Same BS. Picked up the car and a month later I get a call asking me to sign a form certifying this car is used. I am very pissed as I had opted for an "in stock" vehicle because they said it would cut delivery time on my custom build...not get a demo car.
  • edited October 2018
    Palm to forehead.
  • edited October 2018
    It's quite strange to me that OP spent so much time to compose such a long complaint and yet never respond to anyone.

I agree with most people that if the car is used as a Demo/Loaner, (even just sitting in the showroom for people to check it out) the buyer should get a discount. Otherwise, Tesla is just using someone else car for their own purpose without paying them at all. I don't think that's right.
  • Wow that is amazing. I had a similar frustrating delivery and in the end I had to reject. Do walk through of the car and notice 15+ issues with the car and the associate sounded like a broken record, "oh, will take care of that". How bout handle the car properly before release showing you respect and value our money being spent on this vehicle. The lead auto tech comes out as I fill her in on issues and her response to me is "oh, we've been seeing that a lot lately", come on now! And I agree with @ankitag about wanting to be apart of the future but Tesla needs to focus on quality over quantity. From a different post someone said Tesla is aware of these quality issues and stated Tesla is improving proper oversight of vehicles before release.....I sure hope so. Thanks for your story!
  • edited October 2018
    I referred someone and they went in and went for a test drive and said they wanted to buy one. The Tesla rep said they had them in stock and they got it the next day. Dont know if they wanted a specific color and one was lying around or if they just took the first available one. Seems strange that cars are lying around now and 3 months ago people who ordered 2 years ago were still waiting.. Looks like 300000 people must have been waiting for the cheaper 35k model if they only delivered a little more than 100k cars so far.