Model 3

Update: Tire replacement research: Primacy MXM4 18" - Costco tires NOW HAVE acoustic tech

edited September 2019 in Model 3
Update: I got my 18" tires ordered at Costco today and they now have the stock tires with acoustic tech.

Old info--------

I'm just sharing what I found out today about replacing tires on my Model 3.

I was going to buy replacement tires from Costco since my tires are almost worn out (3/32 @17.5K miles). Costco has a deal going on Michelins $70 off a set of 4 tires and 1cent installation. Everything looked great UNTIL I found out that the part numbers sold at Costco do not come with the Acoustic Tech.

Stock 18" Michelin MXM4 on the Model 3s come with Acoustic Tech ( https://www.michelinman.com/US/en/why-michelin/michelin-acoustic-technology.html )

However, there are 4 different manufactures part numbers for Primacy MXM4 tires: 14644, 34445, 70631 and 16144. Of these, only part# 16144 has acoustic technology.

Unless you talk to the representatives at Michelin, there is no easy way to differentiate these tires from their printed specs.

And Costco does not carry 16144 (bummer for me) [Update Costco now has this tire]

Comments

• edited September 2018
    Thanks for the heads up on this. This is annoying/confusing.
  • edited September 2018
    Thanks for your research.
  • edited September 2018
    I would just buy it at costco without the acoustic tech. It would be lighter so you will get slightly better range or Wh/mile. The trade off is I would expect slightly more road noise.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for the headsup! We were just pricing them out at Costco yesterday for future reference. We'll be sure to confirm when the time comes.
  • edited September 2018
    @httran26 "I would just buy it at costco without the acoustic tech. It would be lighter so you will get slightly better range or Wh/mile. "

I doubt that the slightly reduced weight would make any significant difference in efficiency (range or Wh/mile). It would be the difference between driving before and after a Thanksgiving dinner; a few extra pounds don't matter much.
  • edited September 2018
    I was at Costco to order the Michelin primacy MXM4 run flat tires for my BMW. The run flat tires cannot be ordered from Costco sites. But the Costco staff called Michelin to order the tires for me. I got the Costco discount.
  • edited September 2018
    I think the lead has been buried... the tires lasted less than 18K miles? That seems like an exceedingly short wear period.

I've had summer rubber on a directional, staggered setup that can't be rotated that lasted twice that long.

Is this typical of these tires?

Good info on the Costco tires btw.
  • edited September 2018
    Don’t any of you use your radios? :)

When my P+ tires go, I’m not going to worry about acoustic tech, or necessarily even replacing those expensive tires with the same model. There are other decent and less pricey tires out there.
  • edited September 2018
    @dmastro: the ones on my S are about 60-70% towards replacement at 35k miles
  • edited September 2018
    djharrington: That sounds much more reasonable. I hope your experience is more the norm.
  • edited September 2018
    Info about my tire wear:

My tires are stock 18" Michelin Primacy MXM4s.

5/32 Front and 7/32 Rear at 11K miles (after first tire rotation)

When I noticed my tires were wearing out quickly I switched to chill mode

3/32 Front and 5/32 Rear at 16K miles (after second tire rotation)

Chill mode helps tires last 33% more for me, that's quite a bit.
  • edited September 2018
    vmulla has been "driving" his car. Ha ha.

Nice reporting on those tricky tire part numbers detective vmulla.
  • edited September 2018
    So do we have any idea if the difference is at all significant? I don't want to get sucked into a more expensive version of the same tires over a gimmick.

Also, is this acoustic tech the reason that has been given to people in these threads as to why the tires can't be plugged?
  • edited September 2018
    Are you going to put in a warranty claim with Michelin on this? The tires are warranted for 55k or 6 years on pro-rata basis. Would like to know if they give you credit for early wear.

https://www.michelinman.com/tire/michelin/primacy-mxm4
  • edited September 2018
    Shit my sticky summer tires on my WRX last about 35k miles per set, and I am a very spirited driver. Less than 20k is absurd!
  • edited September 2018
    @vmulla- Did you call Michelin about the warranty? I had to go through Sears to get the warranty credit....I'm about to do that again soon.
  • edited September 2018
    Usually tire manufacturers do not cover OE versions of tire for premature wear, only the retail version. It's in the fine print somewhere. They refer you to the auto manufacturer for OE claims
  • edited September 2018
    If you don't care about road noise then you might want to look at Continental ExtremeContact DWS06. Less costly, longer lasting, and a better tire.
  • edited September 2018
    I've used Conti DW's before (can't recall the specific style) and liked the tire a lot. I replaced the trash Bridgestone run-flats on my BMW 3 and loved them.
  • edited September 2018
    I'll look into the warranty aspect and report back here.
  • edited September 2018
    Um - actually Michellin does cover OE versions - I just had to replace my S tires - same tire as the 3 - and it was at 30,000 miles - supposed to be 45,000. I had to jump through some hoops, but all that was needed was a tire inspection - I first went through Michellin, opened up a claim, went to Discount tire, but since they don't do it - Discount Tire did the tire inspection - talked to the guy on the phone (I had to call from Discount and do it there, got him to talk to the discount tire rep after tire inspection was done) and about a week later, Michellin called me saying I would be receiving a check for $240 and just confirming my address. It took maybe 1-2 months from then to get the check, but it did show up.

Michellin was great about it and the first time I had ever tried doing a warranty on tires. So yes, at least Michellin covers the tires.
  • edited September 2018
    Normally the way it works is the place you got new tires at would just discount the amount Michellin was warranting and Michellin would then work with the tire place - but Discount was not one they work with, so that is some of the hoops I had to jump through - but was really easy actually and was super glad when I received the $240 check that I spent the couple minutes on the phone at Discount with the Michellin Warranty person.
  • edited September 2018
    Do you have to have logged rotations from a shop to not void the tire warranty? I was just going to swap them myself..
  • edited September 2018
    Michelin Pilot Sports on my S3 last 12k, so 18k is great! lol
  • edited September 2018
    Typo. Audi S4.