Model 3

model 3 - charging only 16A???

I just got my new car yesterday.. YEAH!!!!

when i try to charge last night, it only show 16A charging mode instead of 32A. I have a 60 amp breaker installed.

anyone know why???

thanks.

Comments

• edited September 2018
    Hard to say without further details of your charging setup. Unless you have the amperage turned down on your car by mistake.
  • edited September 2018
    the monitor show 16A/32A..

any idea which to check first??
  • edited September 2018
    CharleyBC 1+,

sacmwed, Are you using the mobile charger cord? What type of outlet is it plugged into?
  • edited September 2018
    16 amps would be normal for the UMC on a 20 amp circuit (NEMA 5-20) (L1).
  • edited September 2018
    @sacmwed

Not sure about the details of your setup. But if you're using a Tesla Wall Charger you need to open the unit and adjust the small wheel inside to the number that corresponds with the Amps you're supplying to the unit (see instructions in the Owner's Manual for the charger).

My setup:

I just got the Tesla Signature Black Elon Musk Wall Charger. My electrician installed a 220 line on a 50A breaker. I had to adjust the "wheel" inside the charger to an "8" to allow for a 40A charge with my setup. When I plug in my car is charging at 40A for about 35 mi/hr charge time.

Again...all is outlined in the manual and there's a sticker in the inside cover of the charger as well, I believe. Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • edited September 2018
    If it says 16/33 then you should be fine. It recognized the circuit as a 32A circuit. Either you dialed down the amps or it was just ramping up. If it stays that way for a while, after you ensurred the amps are dialed up to 32 then you may need to talk to your electrician.
  • edited September 2018
    @sacmwed, Yeah, this is very confusing since you haven't specified what kind of charging setup you are using.

Are you using a wall connector, or the mobile charge cable plugged into an outlet? The answers are going to be very different, depending on that.

The good thing I can suggest right now is that since you can see 16/32, that means it is currently using 16 amps out of 32 amps available, so it does seem to see that there should be up to 32 amps that it can use. On the charging screen, trying increasing the amount of amps up from 16.
  • edited January 2019
    Tried charging via a NEMA 14-50, the car charges at 16A/32A. When using an existing NEMA 10-30 (dryer outlet), the car charges at 16A/24A. The config setting on the car does not restrict to 16A (it is set to 32A, and gets down to 24A for NEMA 10-30 as expected).

Looks like something is forcing the car to charge at max 16A. Voltage is always 240V or thereabouts. Any idea what might be going wrong? I am on 2018.50.6.
  • edited January 2019
    The car is very sensitive to charge variations for safety reasons. It measures the voltage before starting to charge and keeps increasing the charging current in small increments for as long as the voltage drop is within safe limits. It will stop at 16A (instead of 32A) if it senses excessive voltage drop. Can you tell us what the voltage reading is on the charging page at 16 Amps?
  • edited January 2019
    The voltage variance is not significant. It ranges between about 238V to 245V.
  • edited January 2019
    Just out of curiosity, how cold is the battery? I’m pretty sure that your charging spot is not below freezing...
    Did you try asking a friend for his Tesla charger and see if it makes a difference? Did you try charging the car at public charging station? Level 2 J1772?
  • edited January 2019
    Is it showing miles per hour being added? Is the car setup with a start time for charging? I know the HVAC can pull a fair amount of power and the current shows up on the charging screen but with 0 miles per hour being added.

Other questions is what was the state of charge of the battery and the temp of the battery? If it is cold out the charge rate might be restricted due to temp. If nearing 100% it also tapers off if I remember correctly.
  • Friends who went to Tesla Rhodester or Model X? How do you feel at all? http://wearion.com/theme/pin-up-plus-size-swimwear/ I just really want to try to ride on Tesla, there has not been such an experience. I want to try how powerful it is compared to my current Ford. How well and efficiently the autopilot system works. I want to check it all out)
  • edited January 2019
    Thanks for the responses and the awesome tips.

In both of the cases (ie NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 10-30), the charging screen says it is charging at 15mph (which seems correct for TM3 at 16A). I have it scheduled to charge at 11PM (I am on TOU EV plan from PGE). The observation is the same when I charge at other time as well though (ie without scheduled charging).

Not sure how cold is the battery (can I find that out). I am in SF Bay Area so it is nowhere near real cold. Around low 50s right now outside at 11 PM but the car is in a garage so cold temps should not be an issue. Moreover the battery is right now at 210 miles for a MR so it roughly at around 80%.

Charging at ChargePoint is fine. I get the rated mph (roughly 22 mph at 30A). I think I somehow need to try a different charger (not sure if that would be feasible).
  • edited January 2019
    @anindya.sinha, do you have climate control on while charging? That can reduce the rate of charge quite a bit. Also if your SOC is at 80% the rate of charge slows down toward the end of the charge the same way it initially ramps up at the beginning of the charge.

If you are on a 14-50 getting around 240v it should charge at 32 amps or about 30 to 32 mph.

www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/onboard-charger
  • edited January 2019
    My SOC is set at 90%, not 80%. So I do not think that is the issue. And climate control is turned off when not using the car.

Although I indicated yesterday that while charging from ChargePoint, I was getting 30A, 22 mph till a few days back. However starting today, I get capped at 16A/30A on ChargePoint as well (which limits to 15 mph). So the same issue is seen for ChargePoint as well as NEMA 14-50 or NEMA 10-30.

It does look to be an issue with the car charge port. The only caveat is that I got multiple instances of "charging interrupted" and "charging restarted" last time I charged on ChargePoint this week. I am not sure if those events is forcing the car's charging unit to limit the amps it receives for charging (maybe a safety precaution)... not sure!
  • edited January 2019
    The OP stated a 60 amp circuit so I would have to assume they are using a HPWC. The question would be is the HPWC set to 60 amps via the dial wheel inside the unit?

@anindya.sinha, have you tried someone elses mobile connector? It kinda sounds like you may have a defective cable.... just my guess.
  • edited January 2019
    SOC =/= charge limit.
    SOC is your current charge level, which you say is at 80%. That is high so it will slow down. Try it at <50% and see if there is a difference.
  • edited January 2019
    Got to figure out if the problem is your mobile charger or your panel. Does you neighbor have an outlet you can try? If you're still getting 16amps, then, it's your mobile charger. If not, then it's your panel.
  • edited January 2019
    @Rt002k, shouldn't really matter on AC charging. On DC supercharging, you'll start to get a taper past 40% SOC.
  • edited January 2019
    OP is getting the same issue using Chargepoint charger, so it cannot be the UMC or panel.
  • edited January 2019
    Yes, it looks like the car is restricting it to 16A for some reason since I see the same behavior for ChargePoint, NEMA 10-30 as well as NEMA 14-50. So either it is an issue with the charge port or there is some logic that restricts it to 16A. Will check out with Tesla Service, I think that is the only option to diagnose the issue.
  • edited January 2019
    @Tigerkc.... where do you see the OP saying they had the same issue on Chargepoint? They never state this in this thread.

Couple of points of interest to the OP...

60 amp circuit would require a High Power Wall Connector not an "outlet". It would also allow for 48A charge, not 32A. If by chance you have a 60 amp circuit breaker on a Nema 14-50 plug outlet and using your mobile connector you have it all wrong and are not to code....

So this really makes me wonder how you have this all wired... Can you please explain how you are setup?
  • edited January 2019
    @rdavis. It is on the fifth comment above my comment. Here was OP's description:

Although I indicated yesterday that while charging from ChargePoint, I was getting 30A, 22 mph till a few days back. However starting today, I get capped at 16A/30A on ChargePoint as well (which limits to 15 mph). So the same issue is seen for ChargePoint as well as NEMA 14-50 or NEMA 10-30.
  • edited January 2019
    Sorry, that posting was NOT from OP, but another person having the same problem. My bad.