Model S

V9 - much ado about nothing; and the maps suck more than before

edited November -1 in Model S
As an AP1 owner, I'm completely underwhelmed by this long anticipated update.

There are no significant improvements and the maps are WORSE. This time, they eliminated the color of the roads, so the entire map is a flat gray-scale unreadable blob while in motion.

Telse is continuing their trend of each update being worse than the last, since V7.

Comments

• edited October 2018
    I have AP2 and not AP1, but have you tried using Aerial map view rather than Road map view? You might like it better.
  • edited October 2018
    Map color changes occured many months ago - nothing to do with v9. For me, the color change helps emphasise the traffic colors. Doesn't appear gray scale to me, but agree it isn't as vibrant as before.
  • edited October 2018
    TT - it appears to me that the bodies of water lost color months ago. V9 changed the road outlines from green to gray.
  • edited October 2018
    Before people start casting stones at this update, Elon did say that while there would be a major change to the Nav via V9, he also said that it would happen over the course of series of updates. Meaning the initial V9 release lays the ground work for future supplemental updates.
  • edited October 2018
    +1 Jordanrichard Same thing happened in the 6>7 and 7>8 updates. The intial was a GUI change and then there was a .1 follow up that added most of the features.
  • edited October 2018
    Yeah, Barry. They won’t unlock the few remaining features of the Mobileye chip. It has the potential to recognise stop signs for example. Pity. There is more that they can give us, but the bridges were so thoroughly burned by our fearless leader that it is not going to happen.
  • edited October 2018
    @jordanrichard but 1/2 true for V9. As late as last week that changed drastically
  • edited October 2018
    For those who love mobileeye so much, my story: I have a pre-AP vehicle. I have the mobileeye hardware in it, for measuring distance, collision, pedestrians. Mobileye never updated its software, and it no longer works on iOS. In the meantime, Tesla has updated my software innumerable times, updated the app, and added features. For those who got the Tesla version of AP, there have been software updates galore and the promise of new hardware.

Mobileye is (was) a sucky company. Tesla made exactly the right choice.
  • edited October 2018
    I feel your pain but am not "underwhelmed" as you are. I'm totally pissed off at the loss of customization and functionality. If I wanted a G-D-FING Ford with Microsoft junk in it I would have bought one. This truly sucks.
  • edited October 2018
    But now you can play a few Atari games! Everything is Awesome!
  • edited October 2018
    I hate that you can no longer split the screen with two screens containing the information you WANT. Now they force navigation on you and force you to overlay the navigation for anything else. I don't use navigation that often, but seems like it would suck for those that want navigation AND something else on the screen at the same time. Sucks that they took away the choice to have it the way you want it. But, being Tesla, it's not surprising. One by one, they're taking away all the choices you once had, from the purchase and configuration of the car to just about everything else. They are building them towards FSD, which would be fine except for the fact that we're probably 10+ years away from FSD driving cars. They need to continue with the mindset of user friendliness. Most people won't have their cars in 10 years.
  • edited October 2018
    This "upgrade" may work better for the smaller screen in the Model 3, but eliminating many direct selection of features and replacing it with a two-step process by swiping up and then making a selection is a step backwards for the Model S. The Model S is supposed to be different. It is the flagship model and does not need to mimic the economy user interface of the Model 3. The large screen on the Model S has plenty of space to make direct selections. And what was the the reasoning for forcing the map on the top of the screen whether you want it or not. Just terrible.
  • The center screen limitations are terrible. I have said this on the Tesla twitter feed and on Musks (assuming his new handlers are letter him actually access twitter), but does anyone know where we can formally complain about the new V9 limitations? I find it unbelievable that they would take away user customization. This is like Apple deciding that I must have safari on my screen plus one other app at that bottom.
  • edited October 2018
    I don't get it why the nav screen is now the dominant one. I think that most people use it sparingly and, in any case, a half screen is more than sufficient. The most important window to me was the rearview camera, since the internal rearview mirror provides very limited view through the puny rear window. Now I need to specifically select it every time. I hope Tesla sees the light and provides the possibility of a split screen again in a future upgrade.
    I have another gripe, I can use the dashcam recording in my 2017 Model X AP2, but not in my 2015 Model S AP1. Why? The upgrade to 9.0 worked in both cars but in the release note for S, there was no mention for dashboard recording. I hope that this feature is still in the works for Model S AP1.
  • edited October 2018
    Atari games? Please explain. Thank you.
  • edited October 2018
    I'm the opposite. I always have the nav up and want that to be the dominant one and now I hate that each time it brings up the last overlay that takes 2 downward swipes to fill hide.
  • edited October 2018
    I'm the opposite. I always have the nav up and want that to be the dominant one and now I hate that each time it brings up the last overlay that takes 2 downward swipes to fill hide.
  • edited October 2018
    The new Jag iPace is looking better and better!
  • edited October 2018
    Is it possible to have the service center flag my car to not receive firmware updates?
  • edited October 2018
    @bernhard, probably not but if you have internet at your house you can disconnect it or password protect it so your car won't connect to it. Might help to not get any more updates.
  • edited October 2018
    @lilbean
    Tap the T logo and then the top bar of the window with the car information to show the Easter Egg menu. 3 Atari games are now available. Fortunately, you can play the games without having the maps on the screen.
  • edited October 2018
    oops - 4 games
    Centipede, Lunar Lander, Asteroids, Missile Command
    You can use the steering wheel buttons to play the games.
  • edited October 2018
    I'm not overwhelmed either with AP1. The only real advantage I see is that navigation supports HOV lanes.

I was hoping that the entertainment (audio) part would get improved, but for the USB part it's still in the 20th century.
  • edited October 2018
    WOW, HOV lanes now. Only good until the end of this year for most of us with AP1.
  • edited October 2018
    I should have said if you live in Calif. that is and got your tags in 2016.