Model 3

Problem with playback of dashcam video

I tried out the dashcam video on a correctly formatted usb for mac (as far as I can tell). I recorded a short segment but when I tried to play it on my mac desktop, Quicktime said it couldn't open the mp4 file. Same result trying to play on Youtube. What video app (for mac) have you found successful in playing dashcam recordings?

Comments

• edited October 2018
    Same question. Quicktime won't play.
  • edited October 2018
    Try the free VLC Media Player
  • edited October 2018
    I tried VLC and VLC Media player and could not open video. Spent 1 1/2 hours on phone with Tesla support. Nothing we did worked. They are going to look into my Model 3 remotely and call me this week.
  • edited October 2018
    I use VLC.
    Unfortunately, many will not play as they get corrupted.

Thank you Tesla for implementing this but still need lots of work!
  • edited October 2018
    I suspect it is some permissions thing. But from Terminal I copied a video clip to the desktop and then renamed it, and suddenly it worked fine. And bizarrely once I had done this, ALL the video files were playable.
  • edited October 2018
    QuickTime Player.app on IMac will playback the dash cam video.
  • edited October 2018
    QuickTime Player.app on IMac will playback the dash cam video.
  • edited October 2018
    Spotlight Preview and QuickTime both work fine for me but as mentioned above some randomly show up blank or can’t be opened. Also be sure to check the actual TeslaCam folder; the first time I didn’t realize it had written some weird Linux files to the root of my USB drive and I thought they were videos.
  • edited October 2018
    It looks like the last video file of a driving session corrupts when the car powers down. That may then result in subsequent sessions' files being corrupt, too.
  • edited October 2018
    I saw something similar where I could play the first couple of files I saved, but the last file I saved was small and wouldn't play. I'm guessing It may take some time for it to write out the lat file, so if you remove the flash drive too soon, it may be a corrupted file.
  • edited October 2018
    Had no problem with any of the stored files. They all play fine on Windows 10 and my chrome book. Looks like the temp files from the unfinished clips are in the root (*.rec) and not in the "TeslaCam" folder.
  • edited October 2018
    @rxlawdude, Exactly. "It looks like the last video file of a driving session corrupts when the car powers down"

I can't open those with QuickTime either or the reference file that's created when you do a 10 minute save, but it will open the other files. I've found shutting the dash cam off by holding on the icon for a few seconds prior to shutting down prevents the last file from corrupting. At least that works more often than not.

For those having problems on Macs try opening the QuickTime app first, then go to file>open>your file. Sometimes that works.

Also if you have QuickTime Conversion app for something like Final Cut Pro, or QuickTime Pro (the not free application) it will open them too.

There is also Flip4Mac, which is the Mac version of Windows Media Player. A note though. After you download Flip4Mac and go to open the package you will get an error from your operation system saying it can't be opened because it's from an unknown source. Go to the Flip4Mac WMV.mpkg file, hold down the control key and click on it. It will give you the same error but give you the option to open it. Click on open and follow the installation instructions.
  • edited January 2019
    Anyone still having this problem? Not working for me.
  • edited January 2019
    Can someone shed light on how to use dash cam function? Thanks
  • edited June 2019
    I'm having the same issue at the OP. Files look like normal MP4 video files on the thumb drive but windows media player (and every other player) can't seem to open them.
  • edited June 2019
    Same situation for me. Downloaded a few DashCam files while driving (pressing the icon with the red dot -- it shows a downward-pointing icon then an icon with a green dot saying it's saved). Pulled the USB out of the car, and put it into my iMac. I see new folders created for each download I made listed under:

TeslaCam --> SavedClips

... however, each of those folders' files are just 595 bytes -- that doesn't look like video to me.
  • edited November -1
    @amotleyfool: After pressing the dashcam to save video, you need to press it again for a couple of seconds to pause recording (the red dot will turn gray), then wait 20 seconds or so before removing the USB. If you don't do this, files may not be completely written to the device and I suspect that's what you're seeing.
  • I can see clips in "RecentClips" but none in "SavedClips" .
  • edited November -1
    @franco: You’ll only see files in SavedClips if you explicitly saved dashcam video or had Sentry Mode events.
  • edited August 2019
    I am observing the same thing

... however, each of those folders' files are just 595 bytes -- that doesn't look like video to me.

Anyone understand what is going on and how to fix this?

Will
  • edited August 2019
    @wberger: Even though you asked your question in the Model 3 forum, can you confirm that this problem is happening on a Model 3? I ask because what you describe sounds like what Model S/X HW2 owners when they try to use the dashcam, which isn’t supported with HW2. All Model 3s have HW2.5 or later, which does support the dashcam.

If you do have a Model 3, you might be removing the USB too quickly. You need to stop all recording (both dashcam and Sentry Mode) and wait 10-20 seconds to make sure the car finishes writing to the drive.
  • edited January 1
    The problem is that not all MP4's are created equal. The "MP4 format" is really just a kind of wrapper around the "real" format - which is normally described as a "codec". Tesla use the H264 codec (and, briefly, on v3 computers back around July 2019 - the H265 codec).

Worse still, the H264 codec itself is a bunch of different video standards called "profiles" - the most common of which is the "High profile"...and worse still, there are 26 versions of H264 - each with various improvments.

So any particular piece of software may or may not support MP4 files - and even if it does, may or may not support H264 - and even if it does, may or may not support whatever profile and the specific revision of the standard that TeslaCam uses.

Even worse than that, H264 is patented - which means that most OpenSource software can't legally decode it. The patents surrounding H264 belong to a pool of 26 companies who agree not to sue each other - but everyone else has to licence the thing...which is a major pain.

For any particular piece of software (a browser or a video player, for example) - you may find that it uses some library that's licensed to a particular operating system - or it may have it's own license for the format.

So even if one particular piece of software can play the video on (say) Windows - that exact same software may not be able to play it on your phone or under Linux or Apple.

This is a horrible mess - and the result is that there is a patchwork of tools that work OK with TeslaCam video - then a bunch that can't decode the format and say so - and yet more that THINK they can but produce a blank screen for whatever reason.

So, for example. the Chrome Browser under Windows 10 doesn't support the H264 codec and you get a blank screen when you try to play TeslaCam videos.
  • edited January 1
    According to VLC (under Windows 10) TeslaCam videos from my Model 3 FSD V3 computer made in Dec.2019 are:

Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1) with a video resolution of 1280x960 for all four outputs.

* VLC seems to be able to play these files under Windows, ChromeOS and Linux.

* The Chrome Browser cannot play them under Windows, ChromeOS, Linux or Android.

* Under Windows 10, the media player can play them, so can MovieMaker and Microsoft Edge.

* Under Linux. the OneShot video editor and FireFox can play them under Linux.

* You CAN upload them to YouTube - and then anything can display them.
  • edited November -1
    I'm using a Samsung endurance 128GB micro SD card moved in a Rocketek microSD USB adapter. The whole thing is about the size of the last joint of your little finger. Ice hit it formatted as Linux ext3 and I cam use the entire capacity. I play the videos back on a Raspberry Pi using VLC. Flawless.
  • edited November -1
    You can change the file type from .mp4 to .qt and that should do it.