Model 3

Whompy by design

edited November -1 in Model 3
Interesting read on safety tech and why front axles are designed to give way in an accident.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/secret-tech-behind-tesla-model-3

Comments

• edited October 2018
    Oh, I thought this was a thread about me, sorry.
  • edited October 2018
    @Bighorn: yeah, I love the sacrificial mountings. Very thoughtful and ingenious
  • edited October 2018
    The article implies that the "life of the car" is a mere 150,000 miles? Interesting, wrong, but interesting.
  • edited October 2018
    I picked up on that; the Brits don't drive so good (drive on the wrong side of the road) so it could be long life of a car for them?
  • edited October 2018
    Seeing as I've only used one eighth of my brake pads on the S in 208k miles, yes, I caught that.

For those who don't know the reference, whompy wheels was an expression coined by keef of Australia, who single-handedly submitted probably 50 separate reports to the NHTSA of pictures of random junked Teslas where the wheel had been dislocated, making a formal complaint about the shoddy construction of the suspension arms. He comes around here with regular name changes.
  • edited October 2018
    I totally thought of keef after I saw a "squeaky wheel" thread.
  • edited October 2018
    @PG
    I was like, "Speak of the devil," and thankfully mistaken:)
  • edited October 2018
    One more engineering thing the article did not mention is Tesla draws a lot of materials expertise from SpaceX. No one else in the auto industry has the same knowledge of strong and light weight material and structure than the rocket company.
  • edited October 2018
    I caught the reference :)

I am pretty sure he has been able to keep the name jopp2 right now, as he only makes occasional showing and is his usual asinine comment.

Interesting on the wheel design...
  • edited October 2018
    Heart sank til I saw who created the thread!
  • edited October 2018
    fanbois always find a good engineering reason for FUD.