Model 3

clunking noise while super charging

edited November -1 in Model 3
Had our model 3 5 weeks. When supercharging every few minutes there is a short clunking noise, similar to steping on a metal can. It appears to be comming from the back half of the car.
We also have had a Model S 3 years and never heard this sound with it. Any ideas on what this may be .

Comments

• edited October 2018
    I've queried owners a lot about this noise. It sounds to me like a metal plate undergoing thermal flexion, or somebody winging a walnut at your car:) It moves all around the bottom of the car. I've noticed it at times other than supercharging, though it's much harder to hear when driving. A very early owner was told by Tesla that it's normal but he couldn't remember the mechanism. Can happen half a dozen times, usually less loud each time, but startling if you're trying to sleep. Seems accentuated in cooler weather.
  • edited October 2018
    May be the new load balancing system on the M3? Should come into play especially when Supercharging.
  • edited October 2018
    Doesn't sound like switches. And I'll often hear it pulling into parking lots as though the curb cut is causing flexion.
  • edited October 2018
    I've heard it both while supercharging, and while driving, usually after a fairly long stint on the freeway. A couple of times it almost sounded like hitting road debris when there was very obviously none. Couple of other times it sounded like a flexing oil can. I'm very curious what this turns out to be.
  • edited October 2018
    I heard the same kinds of noises during the software update. Mine did it while supercharging too.
  • edited October 2018
    I had the same experience.... from what I read it is normal of some kind of relay inside? To me I was thinking maybe the brakes locking and unlocking? My does it too charging inside my grage.
  • edited October 2018
    Bighorn, you described this perfectly. This describes my experience exactly.. While supercharging for 30 minutes, with air temps in the 40's, SOC 25% - 70%, mostly around 80kWh rate, I heard at least 4 walnuts hitting under the front half of the car.. every one was in a different location.. Left.. right.. middleish etc. One thing interesting in my case, there is an off camber right turn on my way home I seem to replicate the same sound..but just one knock. This case I was convinced it was metal flexing due to the weird elevation change of the turn.. but seems odd the sound is exactly the same as what I heard supercharging.
  • edited October 2018
    @freejoule
    Exactly similar to when I've noticed it most often other than supercharging--usually pulling out of or into a parking lot while turning. Until proven otherwise, it's a metal plate. Thanks for corroborating!
  • edited October 2018
    I'm experiencing the same thing, love the walnut analogy. Thinking about talking to my local SC about it, as today my car actually stopped charging for a moment after a clunk. It quickly flashed a message about needing to be serviced before continuing to charge as normal.
  • edited October 2018
    The very first time it happened was at night at a remote Wyoming supercharger and my thought was that some kids were throwing something at the car. Got out and looked all around. My other thought was that it was the actual supercharger acting weird. My druthers would be that Tesla describes what's going on or remedies it. I think it detracts from the overall experience. I don't yet have a sense as to how loud it is to passersby, but I expect one day to be asked, "What's wrong with your car?"
  • edited October 2018
    +1 on What's wrong with your car? The first time that happened to me I was sitting in the quiet car at the supercharger when I heard the loud thud like something exploded under the floor board it scared me. So much for relaxing in the piece and quiet car. :)

Thanks for the reminder I have an appointment at the service center tomorrow I will see if I can get some kind of explanation on what is going on and why it needs to happen.
  • edited October 2018
    @garretn
    Please report back! Seems like we should have an answer by now. Thanks
  • edited October 2018
    I have seen this answered in another thread somewhere in the forum but if memory serves it is indeed a relay that switches as each battery compartment gets charged. Definitely unnerving the first time it happens but I'd consider it 100% normal. You are sitting right on top of that battery and in my experience from dropping things on to the floorboard, the metal between you and the battery is not very soundproof so you hear everything. Since it seems like almost all of us have that same gut reaction the first time, it might behoove Tesla to include that info somewhere in the manual so that we don't all freak out. Bad roads are also A LOT more noticeable now as well and several times I've thought there was a problem with the car until I hit a different patch of road and the vibration/noise went away, I'm looking at you KY and MO!
  • edited October 2018
    @Future
    There are relays/contactors that make noise. This almost certainly is not that.
  • edited October 2018
    I've had similar noises while driving on a mountainous highway. It would be nice to know if it is caused by "oil canning" of the metal surfaces due to thermal flexing or pressure changes, or if it is just the sound of battery section relays.
  • edited October 2018
    I had this happen to me a few days ago while charging at a destination charger (40amp, 32mi/hr). It was quite loud (as in startling/scary, similar to what @garretn said) and towards the rear, and I felt it in the floor boards (I was sitting in the passenger seat). I had only been charging 5-10mins at that point. It certainly sounded like thermal expansion to me.

For this and other reasons, I really wonder if the battery thermal management system is right on my car.

I have an August 2018 production LR RWD.
  • edited October 2018
    There is also a thread over at TMC that has a video of the sound, although it sounded much louder in my case than what the video portrays (could just be the quality of the recording):

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/p3d-sheet-metal-pop-sound.132756/
  • edited October 2018
    Thanks for the link. I added my two cents since I've been looking into this since August.
  • edited October 2018
    Some have said contactors, coolant valves and AC pumps. Makes sense this the battery is climate controlled when charging.
  • edited October 2018
    We experienced this yesterday as well. It was our third SC session of the day and the first where we sat in the car for the entire charge. I little disturbing but apparently no noticeable affect. Sure hope it’s not a precursor to a future problem as we are about 2K miles from home. I’ll be watching this thread.
  • edited October 2018
    @staze
    Definitely not. It's a flexing metal plate.
  • edited October 2018
    @Bighorn - Tesla service center didn't know what I was talking about never had this complaint. Sounds like we need to start reprint this issue and see if they can figure out what is happening or how to insulate the noise. I wasn't going to leave the car for them to check it out.
  • edited October 2018
    @garretn
    That’s odd, but not the first time they’re late to know stuff.
  • edited October 2018
    This happened to me a few hours ago. 3-4 loud clunks which were more spaced as I went from SOC of 20% to 66%. After the first two then I heard a fan turning on and the sound of vents opening. Outside temperature was 52 degrees. One hour later while driving got the warning of power reduced, exit car and re-enter. Did it and got home with no other issues. IMHO this could be battery expansion with heat generated and the cooling system doing its thing. Scheduled to do latest software update tonight. Learning a new language...
  • edited October 2018
    Starting to look like maybe this is tied to August builds based on what's showing up in the TMC thread. FWIW mine is an August build delivered late September.