Model 3

Control Arm

edited November -1 in Model 3
Reaching out to ask if other have encountered a similar issue. When cornering there is a clicking noise coming from the front drivers side tire. I took my car in for service and they replace the upper control arm, no mention of what cause the issue, defect, my driving, etc. It’s now two weeks later and the sound has started again. Is this a know, widespread issue or an isolated case?

Curious to know what other model 3 owners are experiencing.

As a side note, I have also noticed several other annoying things.

1. Condensation in the tail lights and fog lights
2. A chemical smell when using the heater (service center said it was normal)
3. A loud, perssitant, high pitch squealing coming from the brakes every morning when I back out of the driveway.
4. Paint missing from the front right fender

I could probably go on, but I do love this car. I’m mostly interested in knowing if others have had similar experiences. I expected that I would have some issues, but this is starting to get annoying.

Comments

• edited October 2018
    @bcl2677, Is it RWD or AWD. I ask because AWD will have CV joints in the front and a bad CV joint can make a similar sound when cornering.

Loose lug nuts can make sort of squeaking clicking noise too.

As far as the brakes making noise in the mornings it's can be caused by condensation resulting in a thin film of rust on the rotors during the night. The first few times you hit the brakes it cleans it all off.
  • edited October 2018
    I can say I haven't had any of those things. I do hear a slight scraping sound from the brakes at low speeds, I think its the sound all disc brakes make, if it was only quiet enough to hear it.
  • edited October 2018
    @grm6415, thanks for the information. It is a RWD vehicle. It is a slightly different noise from before. Previously, it was a clicking noise when cornering (left or right). Now it is more of a creaking noise, only when turning to the right.

As for the brakes. I assumed it was a result of rust forming overnight. Happens to most cars, but I have never heard it this loud. I also never noticed on such a regular basis (every morning) on cars I have owned before.

Thanks again for the response. I have a message out to the local service center, so I’ll see what they come back with. They have taken care of everything so far. Like I said, I expected there would be some things that needed to be worked out, but I’m slightly frustrated/ disappointed right now.
  • edited October 2018
    I had steering clicks/clunks and the SC lifted car, Checked suspension rods etc...ended up being some lugs needing to be tightened/torqued to spec. Two of the nuts took an additional 40% extra tightening!! Clicking gone now for over a month. (But unnerving I had loose lugs but glad it was caught and fixed.)
  • edited January 2019
    My lower control arm snapped after I parked. Didn't drive over anything that would cause my control arm to break. Anyone experience this issue? Couldn't drive straight. Bad part or just break on its own.
  • edited January 2019
    I had issues with #1 and 4, the Service Center fixed them. Just go online or use the Tesla app to schedule service and provide the details and they will order parts if needed and take care of you.
  • Thanks for this information, I think it will come in handy in the future.
  • edited January 2019
    Click noise when cornering is more likely a wheel bearing ... is front wheel around the hub area (not brake disk) hot to the touch after a long drive ? The click should be more pronounced when turning puts more weight on that wheel - for example turn right - left wheel would click - but it wouldn't click when turning the other way.

If car is AWD could also be CV joint. (RWD there is no CV joint at front).

If the control arm bushings are worn - you would get a clunking noise when braking sharply (at low speed) or going over speed bump - but that is unlikely on a new car. Clunking noise going over rough surface could also be sway bar link bushings.
  • rjprjp
    edited May 2019
    I just got my car back from service for the exact same clicking noise in the front driver's side wheel area. Here's what they did:

"Confirmed clicking noise while on road test with customer, recommend lubricating front and rear axle splines. Performed recommended service, upon completion verified no abnormal noise post service."
  • edited October 2019
    Didn't have any warnings or ongoing noises but today while backing out of our driveway attempting to take my two kids to school we heard a crunch like sound. Immediately stopped car and got out, my kids age 5 & 7 said they we're scared too after sound. Anyway looked as if passenger tire was making contact with wheel well. I went inside car and checked to see if anything on display and if suspension was in low mode because of what I was seeing. Nope, car was in standard height. Went under front bumper and saw what looked like shiny metal, turns out lower control arm(correct description?) snapped or came off. Looks like the metal round part of ring that encompases what looks like a metal tower just above a rubber seal simply cracked and started coming apart(I have great pictures of this). Anyway tried doing roadside assistance(under warranty) and was told not covered or at least they had no way to tell if was covered and could give me a quote?!#$ Called my insurance roadside assistance and got X towed to service center. Found some disturbing info on a number of these incidents...and quite frankly even though I didn't feel lucky today...in retrospect I feel lucky this didn't happen while driving. I mean my two kids and I were headed to school. There are some scary pix of wrecks caused by this issue. The tow truck driver said to me I was lucky that this happened in my driveway otherwise he would be picking me and my X up in pieces off of the 202 in Phoenix/Chandler. I'll post updates later as to what is done etc., but my sense of safety behind the wheel(s) of my two Tesla's is a shaken at this time. I've never had anything like this happen in all my years owning vehicles. first car was a 1988 Plymouth, I've had 2 Jeeps, own a RAM 2500HD, own a Model 3, have owned one Ford, a Mercedes, 2 BMW's and others and never seen anything like this. Google search for Telsa Wobbly Wheel and there is a Flickr account with pix/stories that seem too numerous and simply not good. I would also like the defective control arm back as I have experience/worked for ALCOA in past and would like to spark/spectrum analyze the alloy/casting of part - if it's not alloyed correctly or not cast properly etc., this has to be addressed by NHTSA before owners and children are killed.
  • edited October 2019
    Model 3 forum and you’re referencing one of the most notorious international trolls about wompy wheels on a Model X? Something amiss here.
  • edited November -1
    @epikula: paragraphs are your friends. Wompy wheels are your imaginary friends.
  • edited November -1
    Several recent examples of approx 1 year old, dead threads being revived with unrelated and highly doubtful complaints.
  • edited October 2019
    Tell me where you want my texts from service center and images of my Model X with a broken lower arm. I'll give anybody and everybody everything.
  • edited October 2019
    Tell me where you want my texts from service center and images of my Model X with a broken lower arm. I'll give anybody and everybody everything.
  • edited October 2019
    Better yet I'm uploading all video and images and texts to youtube and will provide link. Hell you can call the service center as you'll see svc center number and images I sent them and video. Amazing how some dismiss until something happens to them. link coming shortly.
  • edited October 2019
    Paragraphs are friends but typing for a forum post, while at a Tesla Service Center on a phone isn't the best conduit for literary excellence. I'd personally call it crushing crunching wheel as that was my experience in my driveway. Sounds like a certain actor this summer and his insurance company as well as CHP came to a different conclusion as have others. Here's a quick video I just put on Youtube. Even had my phone # in it.
  • edited October 2019
    This the Model 3 forum, for the second time. Go where you belong.
  • edited October 2019
    Next video with better pictures. Dead threads and highly doubtful complaints? Something amiss? - call the service center in Tempe and ask them if they have a silver tesla Model X of mine that came in October 28th with a broken control arm - look at my phone texts, images - something amiss alright - problems with control arms failing. Never had anything like this happen in almost 35 years of car ownership.
  • edited October 2019
    This has happened to other Model's including the 3 which I also own, the Model S. You're welcome Bighorn. Seem angry.
  • edited October 2019
    Hey Bighorn why don't you do me a real favor and find me the link for suspension failures for model X & S! Oh that's right no search function.
  • edited October 2019
    So what's amiss here Bighorn? There's my proof - So what's amiss? Come on defend your comments.
  • edited October 2019
    Wompy wheels was debunked long ago. Looks like you hit a curb hard, and the control arm did what it’s supposed to do in an accident. Tesla has a patent on it.

Hyperbole about NHTSA and killing children is why you’re getting pushback.