Model 3

Is it a waste to get Ceramic coating?

edited November -1 in Model 3
So I keep reading about this and am thoroughly confused about Feynlab versus pro versus nothing. Anyone really know?

Comments

• edited November 2018
    its a car, not a picasso.
  • edited November 2018
    I’ve had Ceramic Pro 9H added to the car for a number of reasons. When applied by a certified shop, the prep cleans up any paint imperfections and adds a (slippery to the touch) multi-layer clearcoat that beads up water like a freshly waxed car. Clean up is easy. Brake dust comes off the rims so easily. Like any aftermarket item, It all depends on how much you want to spend and if you believe that it’s worth it to you. For me, it was worth it. YMMV.
  • edited November 2018
    It depends. Lots of ways to look at this.

It does improve the look of your car. Do you value that?

It makes it easier to clean your car. Do you value that (time or cost to have it washed)?

You don't have to wax it for years. Do you value that (time or cost to have it waxed)?

I paid $500 to have my last car coated with a ceramic. I thought it was good value because it didn't get dirty as fast and made it easier to clean. I previously waxed often and it saved me a lot of time not having to wax anymore. Would I pay $2000 to have 5 coats? Probably not. For me, it's not worth it. But others see additional benefits and are happy to pay for it.

It's not snake oil.
  • edited November 2018
    I ended up getting both the Suntek PPF and 2 coats of ceramic coating, since I drive up and down the 101 Hwy so much. I love it. I wanted to get it on my S, but never did. If you want to protect your Model 3, I'd recommend it. Anyone in San Francisco can get great service at California Detailing in Hayes Valley: https://californiadetailing.com I plan on using them for quarterly detailing.
  • edited November 2018
    I always coat my cars myself 3 times after I get them.
    It lasts for 3 years after that, and makes washing easier. Fine scratches get reduced during that time compared to not having any.
    It’s rather easy to put on by hand. DIY costs as little as 70$ for a single botttle that gives multiple coats.
  • edited November 2018
    What Bob.Calvo said. There are definitely some benefits. Whether it's worth it to you for the price you pay is up to you. We also went the DIY route. Some time to research, prep and apply plus $60 for consumer level ceramic coating is what we did. For us, $900 for professional ceramic coating was too rich.
  • edited November 2018
    @RedShift Which brand did you use?
  • edited November -1
    Opticoat 2.0 for the last 5 years for my Model S, but switched to cquartz for my Model 3. I was told by a detailing shop that the brands are mostly just names. Few manufacturers, just white label deals.
  • edited November 2018
    Model 3 has piss poor quality paint job, what exactly many trying to protect?
  • edited November 2018
    I had my car coated in Gtechniq which has 9 year warranty. The car is super smooth and stays clean longer and is easier to clean. The clear coat will last much longer which is great if you plan to keep the car for a long time. I’m very happy with it even though it is pricy.
  • edited November 2018
    It doesn’t have a bad paint quality. Shut your trolling trap.
  • edited November 2018
    I'm planning to get ppf for the full car and ceramic on top. It is QUITE expensive (as much as the bimmer I traded in for the P3!), but then I do plan to drive my car long and far and I think it is worth investing to keep it looking great.

I do understand its a personal decision and many others may not see the value.
  • edited November 2018
    I do not see the value. It costs about 11% of the total cost of the car... At least here in SD.

If you have the extra money to spend, spend it. I only keep my cars for about 5 years, so I will never get the money back on the resale.
  • edited November 2018
    Delivery next week. Getting Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra. Will let you know how it goes. Looking for the paint correction service and protecttecive coating it offers and will have a “waxed” finish for several years minimizing effort for cleaning. Never done this before. Plant to keep the car a long time. Decided to pass on the PPF. Too much $$.
  • edited November 2018
    I think it is totally worth it for Ceramic (I think the self healing wrap is way over priced). I have a 2013 Golf R and it was OptiCoat Pro applied brand new and this car was parked outside 24/7. I didn't even wash it myself and went through car washes (against installers instructions) and it still looks great. This time, this same installer told me to get Feynlabs Ceramic to save money because Opticoat has really gone up in price since 2013 when I paid $550. But for reference I was quoted $899 in San Diego for Opticoat Pro, and $1,299 for Opticoat pro plus for model 3.
  • edited November 2018
    @Eric... my numbers were based upon PPF, not ceramic. Sorry for any confusion
  • edited November 2018
    "Paint Protection Film is thicker than Ceramic Coatings. ... A Ceramic Coating does not have that ability. Despite the wild claims of some manufacturers and installers, a Ceramic Coating does not eliminate the risk of rock chips, scratches, swirl marks, and water spots."

If you are going to get one, get ppf.
  • edited November 2018
    @thedrisin... wow, I did not know that. If I am going to spend money on ceramic, since it is much cheaper, I at least want it to significantly reduce those things you mention
  • edited November 2018
    Which Ceramic Coating you select matters. They are not all the same. Check out this video showing how they have held up after 8 months:

I'm doing mine with IGL Kenzo.
  • edited November 2018
    @richard... thanks for the video. Nu Finish seems to work well after 8 months in that video. And that you can buy at the store and apply yourself, right?
  • edited November 2018
    Anyone have experience with IGL Premier? Spray on, wipe off, seems easy enough and holding up in test.
  • edited November 2018
    @resipsa, yes and no. First, you can see a difference of how well they do. Second, Nu Finish states with second coat after a Mont it will last a year. This product is guaranteed to last 4 years. Third, the light test in the end of the video shows that Kenzo protects against contamination betterr. But, I am a fan of Nu Finish (which is the highest rated "wax" according to Consumer Reports) and recommend it to anyone not doing PPF or a proven ceramic coating.
  • edited November 2018
    For me, there has to be a good cost/benefit factor, and the option I chose of getting PPF front and ceramic coating for the rest of the car satisfied that need. Less than $2000 for both and a 10 year/5 year warranty was gold, in my opinion. No waxing for 5 years, easy washing and easy bug removal (big deal in Florida) were a big deal for me.
  • edited November 2018
    depends on the owner IMO. As much as I tell myself I'm going to wax my car every month or so, that's not going to happen. A ceramic coating will act like a good wax and lasts a lot longer. I'm willing to pay for the convenience of a one-time "wax" that lasts 4-5 years vs trying to get out in driveway and wash/wax car all the time. Those of you who like to get out there and keep your car clean by manually washing and waxing every weekend do not need ceramic. Lazy people like me do.
  • edited November 2018
    I'm with you eastbound! Got Fenylab today. will see how well it lasts.