Model 3

Key Fob does not work

We got our key fob on Saturday. After inserting battery I paired it with the Model 3 and tried to use it. It would only lock the doors but nothing else worked.
I replaced the battery with a new one, deleted the key and reinstalled it 3 times. Each time I got a text fromTesla that said an unknown key was paired with my car and to contact Tesla service.
Called Tesla service today (30 minute wait) and was told to bring the fob into the service center, so it could be reprogrammed. I am about 2 hours away from nearest service center and do not want to drive 2 hours each way for a glorified key card. I explained this to the service agent who transferred me to their Dublin facility so they could send a service truck. ???. Dublin said one hour wait time and did I want a call back.
I've waited 3 hours with no returned call I thought they would just send me a replacement key fob. Guess I now own a $150 key fob that don't work. What a rip!
Bill

Comments

• edited November 2018
    Here we go...
  • edited November 2018
    Your situation sucks... I hope Tesla will fix the issue or give you a refund
  • edited November 2018
    I just got a software update that mentions enabling the new fob last night. Perhaps you need the update. 2018.42.2.1
  • edited November 2018
    Stone Age
    Bronze Age
    Iron Age
    Space Age
    Information Age
    Yelp Age
  • edited November 2018
    So Tesla is out of model 3 Key Fobs. There is no way to order one at this time. Frustrating !
    The least they could do is to add an option to their Shop to order one when it becomes available.

Actually now I think it should be free to all Tesla 3 owners. Who wants to carry that large key card around anyway ?

C'mon Tesla. You couldn't order enough Fobs from China to meet demand ?
  • edited November 2018
    @joho.keith, that's what I was going to say. The key fobs were just made possible with the very latest update. It was not part of the first V9 update, so it's possible the OP has V9, but not the latest version?

Of course just a guess, but would check the owner's manual in the car and see if it tells you that key fobs are an option. If not, then you need to wait for the next update before it will work and can save your time dealing with taking it to Tesla or having them come out. Although, if you take it in, they mostly likely would push the update instantly to your car.

Do you have Nav on Auto Pilot? That was another thing release with the latest V9 update. If you have EAP, but don't have nav on AP, then that's another indicator that the it's the car, not the fob or anything you're doing.
  • edited November 2018
    Is this what they call a first world problem?
  • edited November 2018
    @syclone no this is 0.5th world problem. 1st world problem is waiting for Model 3.
  • edited November 2018
    Sounds like a simple case for a road ranger visit - worth asking...
  • edited November 2018
    Seriously, just log into your account and schedule a ranger to come to your house. No need to wait on the phone or anything like that. They came to my house to replace a lost key card and it cost me $7.50. I've also had them come to rotate my wheels and it was a free service done in my garage.
  • edited November 2018
    I did get a software update yesterday, will reinstall thefob and see if that helps. When I installed the fob previousely, there was a picture of the fob on screen. I was unable to talk to anyone at Dublin to schedule an appointment with the ranger., didn't realize I could schedule that in the account.
    Thanks,
    Bill
  • edited November 2018
    I think the biggest 1st world problem for most model 3 owners is that there are so many people on the forums who try to dismiss real problems as "1st world problems."

1) Pretty sure even an Ethiopian in OP's position would be pissed about it.
    2) Calling things "1st world problems" just insults people in the 3rd world as well as people in the 1st world and it makes you look like a dick who's trying to pretend that you only care about world hunger, which is definitely not the case.
    3) Every single thing discussed on this forum could be called a "1st world problem." What are you adding by saying that? Everyone knows there are worse problems in the world. That doesn't mean these issues aren't valid.

Can we please put that phrase to rest?
  • edited November 2018
    1st world problem
  • edited November 2018
    Mine just arrived today. Did the first car. Have to leave and will do the others later. First one works as they said it would.

Press twice to unlock, once to lock. Press twice on the trunk or frunk to open those. Obviously those are manual close.

Comes with two batteries, only one is needed. So you have a spare.

Works as advertised. And as stated, is a key card with buttons.
  • edited November 2018
    Summon definitely doesn't work. Tried holding the lock down like I do on the S and nothing. All it does is lock and unlock doors and serve as a key card, so you can use it to start the car. You have two minutes after unlocking to start the car. If after two minutes, will need to press the unlock button again to reset the 2 minute timer. Or can scan it on the door or console as you would a key card
  • edited November 2018
    A keycard with buttons that have more functionality than a keycard. Keycard can't open the trunk or frunk. Or unlock the passenger side before first going to the driver side.
  • edited November 2018
    Knock 3 times on the ceiling if you want me....
  • edited November 2018
    How about buying a small mattel toy car, rip out the RFID from the card key and sticking it inside the toy car?? hey presto...remote key fob with all the functions.... lol..
  • edited November 2018
    Ignore the message in the app. Mine works. It locks, unlocks, open the frunk, open the trunk. No issue. I also renamed the key in the car so it no longer shows unknown key
  • edited November 2018
    @bharat - By"all the functions" you mean 20% of the functions? The RFID scanner is 1 of 5 functions of the fob, also:

Remotely locks the car
    Remotely unlocks the car
    Remotely opens the frunk
    Remotely opens the trunk

None of which the card does. I understand both sides here - fob doesn't do as much as I'd expect a fob to do, but certainly does a lot more than the keycard.
  • edited November 2018
    @Chnowak you left off remotely opening the charge port which the key fob supposedly does as well. percent goes lower...
  • edited November 2018
    Point being, key card allows you to unlock the car and drive it. Key fob, allows you to unlock the car and drive it, while also allowing you to open the trunk, frunk and charge port door. That's it. It's still an "unlock tool". It does not do anything else like the Model S and X key fobs do. So for anyone ordering expecting it to be similar to those, they'll be disappointed.

It does not have passive entry. Does not lock the car automatically when you walk away, does not allow for use of summon. It locks and unlocks the doors, trunk, frunk and charge port (technically pops open the last three). It is limited in its capability relative to most other key fobs. So for the most part, as far as I'm concerned, it's a key card with buttons. Again, people take things too literally on this site. Then they bitch when my posts are too long trying to explain myself so I don't get bitched at!! LOL Can't win either way!
  • edited November 2018
    @Rt002k... or lock/unlock the car at a distance.
  • edited November 2018
    @bj 'At a distance' may be a stretch. BLE is pretty short range vs. conventional fobs.

@2015P90DI Now that you have your fob(s), can you comment on what sort of range it works at? That doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.
  • edited November 2018
    I if I have to do an update to make this work, I’m going to have a very expensive toy and it doesn’t even have wheels!