Model 3

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Tesla Installed Mismatched Glass in my Car and I Am Angry

Comments

• edited November 2018
    On the bright side, you received an upgraded glass. You should replace the other old panes so it's a match..
    I think the one they replaced is the new standard color, so they installed an improved color with an improved defroster maybe..
  • edited November 2018
    @Carl: You now have the same glass that every Model 3 produced after ~May 2018?~ has. (Go to a Tesla DC on a rainy day. See for yourself!) So I suppose, much like the infamous alcantara headliners but less rare, there are about 25,000 early Model 3s that have the mono colored roof glass. In your mind, that might have made it special or even "worth more" to you. But to another person, that might signal "early build, probably has poor panel gaps and other QC issues and probably worth less".
    I and others here respect your right to feel angry. But I, and apparently many/most others, do not think this is a big deal, nor a downgrade by any stretch. Hopefully you will learn to live with it, as I doubt they stockpiled a bunch of pre-running change rear glass for repair work.
  • edited November -1
    This is not something that would bother me at all actually. I am nit picky about some things in life but not others. Quite possibly something I am nit picky about would roll off your back like nobody's business.

As objectively as I can think of it, window colour, reflections etc vary so much in different lighting conditions etc why is it even a concern to you that they look that different as long as they do the job they are supposed to do?

My opinion is let it go.
  • edited November 2018
    The OP has a right to be upset by the change in his car's appearance. Whether he will get any satisfaction is another story.

What interests me is the impression that Tesla is the Trump (aka the Putz) of the automotive world. No matter what happens, there is Elon's base spouting lame excuses for the situation.
  • edited November 2018
    @Carl, welcome to the forums where you will be eviscerated for anything and everything you say. Ohh wait you already know this.
  • edited November 2018
    @derotam. Carl is quite well known to the forums. I can assure you. I looked at the pics and couldn’t appreciate the issue.

More striking to me was that your neighbors sound overly nosy and obnoxious.
  • edited November 2018
    syclone, why are you blaming Musk, he nothing to do with odering parts! It is not unsual for parts in some cases to be slightly different due to changes in manufacurers, changes in the manufacturing process, etc. Unless there is inventory of the original part, it is very possible to get a slightly different part even with the same part number. I have encountered that in replacing parts on my F-150, but the parts worked. Configuration control can be a very detailed and expensive aspect for manufacturers. If the exact part isn't available anymore, a consideration may be getting one from car that has been totalled, but that carries risk.
  • edited November 2018
    “ Ohh wait you already know this.”

Yes he certainly does. But he keeps returning to the same place looking for pity. Fair or unfair I just don’t think I would repeatedly come here looking for emotional support when there’s so much history of quite the opposite.
  • edited November 2018
    syclone, why are you blaming Musk, he nothing to do with odering parts! It is not unsual for parts in some cases to be slightly different due to changes in manufacurers, changes in the manufacturing process, etc. Unless there is inventory of the original part, it is very possible to get a slightly different part even with the same part number. I have encountered that in replacing parts on my F-150, but the parts worked. Configuration control can be a very detailed and expensive aspect for manufacturers. If the exact part isn't available anymore, a consideration may be getting one from car that has been totalled, but that carries risk.
  • edited November 2018
    I can't stop thinking about Carl's neighbor pointing and saying Ha Ha. With Carl's MO it am guessing he is the guy that goes around the 'hood pointing out "defects" on all his neighbors things.
  • edited November 2018
    I would be interested in seeing a before and after picture, same lighting, same angle. I just went out and looked at my 07/18 build car and it appears about the same to me.
  • edited November 2018
    I looked at the pictures and I’m not seeing much difference from my car. I tinted the rear window and yeah it doesn’t match the top anymore. My neighbors aren’t teasing me and it doesn’t bother me at all.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/KcR4ldg
  • edited November 2018
    Wow, they should have told you of the glass change and let you decide.
  • edited November 2018
    What’s ostensibly funny/odd is that Carl didn’t recognize that the glass treatment had changed on all new cars vs his his early production model until it was actually installed on his vehicle. It seems the only solution for this may be locating a junked Model 3 with the old glass. Would be curious to know how much that would be worth to the OP if he had to fund part of the acquisition costs. $5/$50/$500?
  • edited November 2018
    @syclone, thanks for your opinions in multiple threads that are so great, you've been added to the twit filter. Don't reply, I won't see it.
  • edited November 2018
    Tesla is perfect. They can do no wrong. Ever. Even when they do, it's your fault for not accepting it. And if you complain after spending so much money, you're a troll.

That pretty much sums up this forum as a whole.
  • edited November 2018
    @Carl - I have an October build and I have noticed slightly different colored glass on my car. I kid you not, I thought it was a feature, not a bug, and I rather like it.

I'm not saying this to troll you - just that, given you may have no choice but to live with it, hopefully you'll come to like it, as I do.
  • edited November 2018
    @efuseakay, please take your moniker and apply it to yourself.
  • edited November 2018
    I knew if they replaced the glass it would be different. I looked at the other new Model 3s they had and the difference is not nearly as obvious as it is on my car. Even so I told them I would prefer to have the rear-window defroster fixed _without_ replacing the glass. After all, it used to work just fine and the glass hadn't been damaged so still am not sure why the glass would need to be replaced.

The difference between my car now and the newer cars doesn't seem to be back glass but the top glass. The top glass on my car isn't as dark and is much more "colorful" than the newer cars and that makes it look much different. Even the border around the transparent portions is a slightly different shade of grey and that makes it stand out. I suggested to Tesla that they could change out the top glass so it's like the newer cars but they don't want to do that.

I told them to just put my old glass back on and I'll live without a rear-window defroster (I'm in CA so can probably go without) and they say my old glass was damaged during removal so it can't be put back on.
  • edited November 2018
    @Carl ok gotcha. Yes this would annoy me too. I'm going to take a close look at my car this PM when I get out of work, out of curiosity re: the contrast you mentioned.
  • edited November 2018
    @Bighorn:
    "It seems the only solution for this may be locating a junked Model 3 with the old glass. Would be curious to know how much that would be worth to the OP if he had to fund part of the acquisition costs. $5/$50/$500?"

I actually thought about this. But I can't find anyplace that will sell just the back glass. You can buy an entire wrecked Model 3 (there are a bunch) but the prices are astronomical.

I would definitely pay $1,000 out of pocket to have it the way it was. That red color when it's wet was one of the things I loved about the car.

So if anyone in the Bay Area has the old glass I will pay you $1,000 to swap the back glass with me. (I'll pay for any labor charge at the SC too.)
  • edited November 2018
    @rxlawdude is the worst offender and proves my point on a daily basis.
  • edited November 2018
    @Carl
    Not sure you'll have many takers unless you give more details about why your original glass was damaged in removal. Is it likely to occur in a planned swap or not?
  • edited November 2018
    Swapping perfectly good glass is very risky as the chance of damaging both of them during removal is likely.
  • edited November 2018
    I took a good long look at both pictures, then I took a look at my car when I stopped home on my lunch break, and I noticed my P3D VIN 82XXX has orange tinted glass on top, and bluish in the back, I believe this is the exact look you are complaining about. I never even noticed until reading this thread, and don’t consider it a defect in any way whatsoever.

That being said, it’s your car and your money, and you deserve to get what you pay for. If they told you they would install matching glass, and they didn’t, I understand your anger. But I don’t think this looks as bad as you’re thinking it does. It’s hard to believe a neighbor from across the street would think you have a different car when I never even noticed this. Unless your neighbor is a Model 3 enthusiast, it’s hard to believe they would think you got a different vehicle because of this, and at night too! Your neighbor must have some amazing vision. I agree if they told you something, and provided something else, you have a right to be angry. I would be much more upset about the rear defrost than the shade of the tinted glass. It’s amazing to me that this is so important to you that youd rather have them replace a piece of glass w a defective defroster, which will lower the value of the vehicle, than have a different shade of tint, which no one will even notice, and I guaranteee won’t have any affect of the value of your car, as long as the defroster works and there’s no other defects.