Model 3

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Tesla Installed Mismatched Glass in my Car and I Am Angry

Comments

• edited November 2018
    I mean just imagine taking a road trip w Carl... why does he keep pulling over to wipe off the back glass? Oh because the rear defroster doesn’t work. Tesla fixed it once but Carl had them put the defective one back on because he wanted the shade of the tint to match the top. I don’t mean to rip on you, but just think about how much more important a rear defroster is than the shade of the tint? It’s one of those things that you take for granted, as I’m sure it’s not a good time to pull over on a highway and wipe off the rear window because you can’t see... amd no one is going to care about the shade of the tint of your back window vs the top of your car except you, and maybe a few Model 3 geeks out there. If your rear defrost doesn’t work, what does it matter what shade of tint your back window is since it will be covered in snow half the year, depending on where you live, forgive me if you live in a warm climate with no snow, as I guess in that case, you can tell them to take the defrost off. I used to live in Tampa FL, and there was no reason to have a defroster whatsoever.
  • edited November 2018
    You’ll excuse my bitterness as I went on a golf trip in Tampa in late January and for the week the high was 40 and multiple frost delays. Rear defroster was definitely necessary that week.
  • edited November 2018
    It's like if you had you Louboutins resoled and they used black leather. Oh, the horror!
  • edited November 2018
    Oh well if nothing else I guess this thread proves that Carl _does_ own a Model 3, despite (IIRC) M8B and others stating with certainty that he doesn’t own one.

According to @Red Exile, @CT does not own a Model 3. But @Red Exile also says that Bighorn is always right, and @Bighorn accepts that CT does own a Model 3. Does the Universe implode to a singularity at this point?
  • edited November 2018
    @bj. How does this prove he owns one?? Because he posted pics of the top glass of a 3??
  • edited November 2018
    Because according to Red, Bighorn is always right and Bighorn seems to accept that CT does own one, to wit:

@Bighorn: “Carl didn’t recognize that the glass treatment had changed on all new cars vs _his_ his early production model until it was actually installed on _his_ vehicle”

So if Bighorn is always right, then CT owns a Model 3.
  • edited November 2018
    @82bert bj has a loose definition of proof. For argument's sake let' assume all of Carl is true. What is the take home lesson we can all take from Carl's story?

So many things to be upset about and Carl is sticking with the car. Must be a good car.
  • edited November 2018
    @Bighorn:
    "Not sure you'll have many takers unless you give more details about why your original glass was damaged in removal. Is it likely to occur in a planned swap or not?"

Good question. But I assume the service center can do it without damaging it if they're careful. If the service center says they can't do it then of course the deal would be off.

@TeslaMarque:
    "It’s hard to believe a neighbor from across the street would think you have a different car when I never even noticed this. Unless your neighbor is a Model 3 enthusiast, it’s hard to believe they would think you got a different vehicle because of this, and at night too! Your neighbor must have some amazing vision."

I found it amazing too. When they asked if it was a new car I told them no, my car was just in service for a couple of weeks and asked them why they thought it was new. They said its because the glass looked different.

@Magic 8 Ball:
    "So many things to be upset about and Carl is sticking with the car. Must be a good car."

I have said that exact same thing with regularity here many, many times and somehow you have never noticed.
  • edited November 2018
    @Carl Oh, I have noticed but I still, don't think you set your expectations correctly, or you just enjoy being angry and want to share your enjoyment. ; )
  • edited November 2018
    @efuseakay's persona is self-evident from his/her moniker.
  • edited November 2018
    I thought it might be Britney.
  • edited November 2018
  • edited November 2018
    I have the two-tone colors. Looks fine to me. Never once thought about being upset about it.
  • edited November 2018
    Lot's of people are telling me it's fine and I shouldn't complain. But I notice no one with the original glass is willing to switch even for $1,000.
  • edited November 2018
    I don’t think people want to fix it when it isn’t broken. More problems can arise from doing that. Maybe tinting he lighter glass will help.
  • edited November 2018
    @Carl Cut to the chase. What is your plan. Live with it or escalate with TESLA?
  • edited November 2018
    @Magic 8 Ball:
    "Cut to the chase. What is your plan. Live with it or escalate with TESLA?"

If it were just this I would probably just let it go. But I've had so many problems with this particular car I'm not confident that it won't continue to have problems... so I'll have to see what my options are. I know many (most?) Model 3s have no issues so I will definitely be driving a Model 3 next year but I'm not sure if it will be this one. I would probably prefer a performance anyway.
  • edited November 2018
    @Carl I find it best to get a rid of a car you are unhappy with sooner, rather than later. I bought a new toyota truck that lost a quart of oil a month with no leaks or visible smoke. Dealer put hot melt glue on the filler cap as a security seal thinking I was siphoning oil or something crazy. They couldn't find it and kept stringing me along. I knew I could waste a bunch of time in battle or cut my losses and get happy again. Trip to Nissan, some paperwork, bye Toyota hello nissan.Happy again

Bought new Lincoln Aviator blew engine at 92K miles. Not happy, No joy from Furd. Scrap it and go buy another Furd. Happy again.

Rinse and repeat. Not worth the grief my friend and if you are true, and I read your posts correctly, it sounds like you buy cars on a whim and have had many. Trade it in, sell it, but get happy.
  • edited November 2018
    @Carl: "Lot's of people are telling me it's fine and I shouldn't complain. But I notice no one with the original glass is willing to switch even for $1,000."

Come on, Carl. That's crazy talk! :)
    1). Your post has been up what, 8 whole hours? On the day before Thanksgiving? Top 5 busiest travel days of the year. Not many happy early Model 3 owners are reading forums tonight. They're traveling, playing with grandchildren, or steaming green beans and baking apple pies.
    2). How many early Model 3 owners are in your immediate area? How many even know that they are in your immediate area? Are you willing to fly them and their car out for this glass swap?
    3). How many early Model 3 owners in a feasible geographical area have the free time to meet up with you and wait around for glass surgery, or grab alternate transportation until their car is ready?
    4), And most importantly, How many people are going to want to remove their perfectly performing and properly installed and sealed glass? Who's going to want to open the Pandora's box that comes with swapping out glass? You aren't talking about wheel caps or trunk badges. This is what, a 10 square foot hole in your car? And you just recently wrote that Tesla cannot return your original glass to your car because it got damaged when they removed it. I'm certainly not taking a chance like that for $1000! What if the swap *seems* to go perfect but then the donor car develops a leak a month later, or the owner starts hearing wind noise? Are you providing some kind of guarantee?

That was a silly comment and you know it was!
  • edited November 2018
    @Magic 8 Ball

I don't think you understand me. I have no intention on taking the entire financial hit myself because Tesla sold me a car that lives at the service center. I believe Tesla should bear some or all of the cost. A quick perusal of CA's lemon law suggests I might be able to reasonably expect that Tesla will have to buy back my car or provide me a replacement. If that's true I'll work it out with Tesla but I won't just eat a $15k - $20k loss on a new car if I don't have to.

Because I believe that my car's problems are the exception rather than the norm and because the Model 3 is a great car I'm willing to give Tesla another shot with an exchange or purchase of a new vehicle. But if I end up having to eat the whole cost I won't give them another chance.
  • edited November 2018
    So when are you going to start the process with either TESLA or a lawyer?
  • edited November 2018
    I say choose a lawyer... just my unbiased opinion ;)
  • edited November 2018
    Lol
  • edited November 2018
    I’m pretty sure if Tesla takes back a car for owner dissatisfaction, they won’t sell you another. Maybe a theee year prohibition?
  • edited November 2018
    Three