Model 3

Does pre 11/30 order date guarantee 2018 delivery?

Tesla’s website states the following: Federal Tax Credit
Order by November 30th to ensure eligibility for the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit. Tesla will expedite shipping for 2018 delivery.

This seems apparent to me that if I order by 11/30, I will get the car by 12/31 but I’m a bit sceptical considering the long wait history. Does anyone have any insight before I order? Thank you.

Comments

• edited November 2018
    My performance model was delivered exactly one week after I ordered it in November. West coast.
  • edited November 2018
    Ordered this past Friday, delivery appointment Wednesday... VIN suggests October build.

5 days assuming it happens: zoom zoom.

It’s clear there is some inventory floating around and the major manufacturing push is the MR currently: I think it likely that they can keep that promise and worst case if it make or break for you on the tax credit there is the 3 day return free policy.
  • edited November 2018
    If you really want it before the end of the year I'd call Tesla and find out what they have in inventory and where. Order what they have built.
  • edited November 2018
    I ordered my LR RWD on 10/21 I have no VIN or delivery date.
  • edited November 2018
    As a very happy Tesla owner (7/19/18 RWD-LR), I have to say, sadly, that nothing that Tesla says guarantees anything.
  • edited November 2018
    What gmr6415 said. And get on it.
  • edited November 2018
    I'm in the same boat as Revelate. I ordered a LR AWD with no special features on Friday, was ready for pickup on Sunday.
  • edited November 2018
    i ordered a midrange RWD on 10/29/2018, havent heard anything. i am in San Jose, about 20 miles from the Fremont factory
  • edited November 2018
    I ordered on 11/20, next day my account showed a delivery date of 12/11. This is for LR AWD. It does see like they are busting it to try and deliver by 12/31 for new orders. Nothing is guaranteed but I think they can deliver on their promise.
  • edited November 2018
    Ordered a long range on October 30 and it was delivered on November 21 in NYC.
  • edited November 2018
    My friend ordered his mid November. LRAWD, white/white. Delivery is first week of Dec. They were ready to deliver this week but they are on a extended vacation.
  • edited November 2018
    Happy that folks that ordered in November have already received their cars. I have yet to receive any information regarding the car I ordered on October 28th. Absolutely nothing. I am from Canada, so I'm not sure if we are lower priority than those that are in the US. Frustrating regardless.
  • edited November 2018
    I ordered LRAWD Black/Black default rims on Saturday, got email on Sunday for Monday delivery.
  • edited November 2018
    There’s so much excess inventor right now it seems. They will prob extend the 11/30 deadline to like Christmas!
  • edited November 2018
    I spoke to CS today and they said all cars ordered by 30Nov will be delivered before 2019. Updates are going slower because of the work load/ Qty of orders coming in right now. The gentleman mentioned that they will notify when the vehicle is ready. Also, how you finance does not dictate the production of your vehicle and they really don't look at it until the car is almost ready for deliver and at that point they re-ask how you want to finance. He also recommended uploading proof of insurance even if you don't have a VIN just to show you are insurable. They understand that you cant add the Tesla onto your insurance until you get a VIN.
  • edited November 2018
    I ordered my LR RWD on 10/12. Paid on 10/13, loan and insurance on 10/15. Delivery date set for 11/14... then 11/17... then 11/20... 11/24... now 11/29... and we look like we'll miss that. It's off the trains as of today, on a car carrier... but still needs until tomorrow to hit my center... then 2 or 3 days to prep, inspect, clean, charge, etc. I'm 3 weeks BEHIND schedule which was tight to begin with. I cannot imagine how they're going to get these into everyone's hands by 12/31 if you just start NOW. Obviously it all depends on what you order, where you live, etc... but I'd be nervous, that's for sure.
  • edited November 2018
    I wouldn't be nervous. worst case they extend the tax credit or you get extra incentives for them not fulfilling their guarantee.
  • edited November 2018
    I would be willing to buy from inventory but how do you check inventory or who do you call?
    I waited for 2 hours on the customer service line and then got disconnected, then tried again and hung up after an hour. Is there another way?
  • edited November 2018
    you have to call them at 0800 pacific time or close to it... I called at 0820 and had a 15 min wait time. I think that would be your best bet to get something in inventory. I'm confident they'll get all the vehicles delivered in time.
  • edited November 2018
    Inventory is the route to go. You can, quite literally, pick the car up the same day, and drive it home. I am amazed that more people aren’t doing this.
  • edited November 2018
    New record?! I literally ordered my LR AWD last night and I just got my confirmation for delivery this Saturday (4 days!). I am in northwest Indiana so my SC in Chicagoland. Was definitely not prepared for it to be that fast.
  • edited November 2018
    @Revelate Welcome back! Hope you get your car soon.
  • edited December 2018
    Called tonight at 6pm expecting to hear that they were closed. They answered after only 18min. (I figured they'd be backed up with Nov 30 last minute freakout calls). I ordered Oct 28 and was worried 'cause no VIN assignment yet. Kaleb answered with a great attitude and had all the answers: Yes: I can save a grand if I pick it up at the factory. No: my undecided loan and trade-in details will have no impact on VIN or delivery date. No: don't worry about getting something in inventory, I will definitely have the car before year end. He seemed very confident about that.
  • edited December 2018
    Everyone's story seems amazing to me, since I ordered on Aug 13, and am still waiting for my LR AWD silver to get home delivered. How they can turn around an order to delivery in less than 31 days is amazing, must all be inventory cars. My order is not all that special, and yet, it's 3 and a half months, and counting.
  • edited December 2018
    Given past history of Tesla, if Tesla does not deliver by end of year, they will compensate the $3,500 difference. This is how they can make such a guarantee public.