Model 3

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Sounds in driver side foot well during autopilot braking

Just checking if people generally here clicking/light knocking sound when autopilot is braking in start-stop traffic? My assumption has been that it is some kind of solenoid that is activating when it actually needs to apply the brake. It's not super loud -- moderate stereo volume would mask most/all of the sound.

Comments

• edited December 2018
    it's the brake pedal
  • edited December 2018
    Yep. Hear it, only on AP in stop n go. Don’t think it’s the brake pedal since auto pilot does not use the friction braking system, but the motor regen braking. I think it’s just the normal sound for this.
  • edited December 2018
    Autopilot uses regen and the friction brakes when necessary.
  • edited December 2018
    Really? It uses the friction brakes? Interesting. How does it determine when to use the friction braking? Speed?
  • edited December 2018
    I noticed the same thing and almost made a thread about it as well. The thing is, I don't hear that noise when I'm driving.

By the way, I usually hear it at about 6 or 5 mph, and sometimes at 2 mph for shorter distances during stop and go traffic.
  • edited November -1
    It uses friction brakes when it has to slow more quickly than regen allows, and to come to a full stop when necessary. It’s pretty smart. And there are times when regen is limited by a full or cold battery.
  • edited December 2018
    @Bighorn and @CharleyBC, thank you! Very cool, makes sense it engages friction to make the complete stop in EAP. More reason to love the marvel we drive.
  • edited December 2018
    @CharleyBC But why don't we hear it when we're pressing on the break?