Model 3

Model 3 handling in the snow?

So I have the performance AWD model 3 and it snowed a bit in VA yesterday evening. I thought as long as I'm going straight and driving sensibly it shouldn't be an issue. I was surprised to find that the handling was pretty terrible for the weather. There were mini coopers and camrys blowing past me but due to the car slipping every time I took it off a track I had to be extra careful and slow driving. Anyone else driven in the snow with the stock tires and what's been your experience?

Comments

• edited December 2018
    20 inch summer tires? Definitely a bad idea.
  • edited December 2018
    Mine does fine with the 18" stock tires. One of the reasons I didn't go with the 20's
  • edited December 2018
    Rear wheel drive??, Did you put it in chill mode to help and set regenerative braking to low? Everyone I've talked to said Tesla's are great in snow. I've only driven in about 2 inches of wet heavy snow so far and it was fine but that was in town driving, not at highway speeds .
  • edited December 2018
    Tires tires. I put 18” Wheels and Michelin X-Ice Xi3 on and it is awesome.
  • edited December 2018
    I use winter tires Pirelli 18 inch as it’s mandatory to have them in our province. One important thing to do is set the regeneration at lowest point otherwise you will lose control on slippery road (like in a curb) when you release acceleration pedal.
  • edited December 2018
    So I’m guessing you have the 20” wheels. If so I posted this on a different thread. The #1 factor in traction is tires. Not AWD but Tires.

And straight from Michelin’s web site: “ The Pilot Sport 4S excels in warm dry and wet conditions, so like all Max Performance Summer tires, is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice”

Put a set of Nokian Hakkapeleta’s on a RWD sportscar and on snow/ice it will drive circles around any vehicle with those Pilot 4s tires.
  • edited December 2018
    And my model 3 AWD is doing great on roads entirely covered in snow/ice since before Haloween in Alaska. I’m running Nokian Hakka 9 on the 18” wheels.
  • edited December 2018
    Agreed - this is 100% tires here. If you have the stock summer 20" tires, that is about as bad as it can get for snow performance. At least with the 18-19 wheels you get all seasons which even that would be an improvement vs. what you're working with.

I would either leave the car at home, or get a set of winter tires if you expect to be doing this again in the future.
  • edited December 2018
    same x-ice 3 18"
  • edited December 2018
    Really makes me think Tesla should have went with the pilot a/s 3+ on the performance 3. So at least it would be an all season tire. Just for the example like this in VA, probably only sees snow a few times a winter so putting on snows would be impractical.

Other manufactures do the same thing with AWD vehicles using OEM max performance summer tires: BMW did it for years on the x5, Porsche Cayenne turbo, Subaru WRX STI, Audi RS’s,... are just a few I can think of.
  • edited December 2018
    I imagine the performance 20" tires would be horrible in snow. I have the AWD 18" and have driven through one show shower and one all out blizzard and haven't had any major issues. Noticed some slippage, but the car quickly corrected.
  • edited December 2018
    I have an AWD with 18" Blizzaks and I was still able to slide the car on this icy corner coming onto my street.
  • edited December 2018
    Anyone with RWD? How is that holding up for you?
  • edited December 2018
    Were you expected something different, driving on summer performance tires........?
  • edited December 2018
    @jwins, even an AWD car will have problems when driven on ice. All that AWD does is give you better traction, it doesn't make it impossible for the car to slip or get stuck.
  • edited December 2018
    @Bighorn, if I don’t have winter tires, is it enough to just put chains on?
  • edited December 2018
    We had 3-4" about a month ago. LR RWD 18" was slipping anywhere the plow hadn't come by. I used chill and limited regen. I used slip start once to get out of a jam, which did help, but it took some maneuvering. My MINI would have handled that level of snow easily. That weekend, I ordered 18" Michelin X-Ice Xi3 that will be installed on Friday.
  • edited December 2018
    Crazy to drive on summer tires in winter conditions. You basically have no traction.

I put Flow One F1 18 x 8.5 wheels and 235/45R18 Michelin CrossClimate+ tires on my P3D+ and should be ready for anything in the Mid-Atlantic region.
  • edited December 2018
    You guys (commenters) are telling me that 20” summer tires on an awd vehicle perform significantly worse than stock tires on fwd Camry’s and minicoopers? I don’t believe it. I’m more inclined to believe op is exaggerating or doesn’t know how to drive in snow
  • edited December 2018
    @ spuzzz123 - 100% yes that is true. Without question summer tires on AWD perform substantially worse than an all season or snow tire on a FWD car. The rubber is not designed to operate in temps near what you'd reach when you get to snowy conditions, and the tread is not made to grip in the snow at all. If they don't grip at all you've got 4 wheels that can't grip, vs. two which can with other tires.

Summer tires are absolutely worthless in snow regardless of how many wheels you have driving the car.
  • spuzzz123
    Had a 2001 BMW awd delivered to me in MN with summer only tires by mistake. Worst car ever in winter conditions. Really bad. I am old guy always living in MN. Neil Hamrin not Mary my wife.
  • edited December 2018
    @ spuzzz123 just look at the summer tire manufacturer specification for the operating temperature and you will see that summer tire are useless for cold weather as the rubber will be so rigid and hard that no more traction is available. Summer tires pretty much useless where I live and most of driver buy all season tires for the summer and winter tires for winter. Imagine in my province it's illegal to drive with all season tires in winter so just imagine driving with summer tire on snow...
  • edited December 2018
    OK folks sorry, OP said stock tires, which I took to mean "all season" since that's what they gave me with my 18" crappy aeros. Are 20" stock tires officially "summer tires?" and is that something different than what I have?

Just worrying that my poor man's model 3 RWD with 18" all season aeros are going to put me in a ditch this winter...
  • edited December 2018
    FYI I live in Columbus, OH which is cold, but not a ton of snow, and very flat....I was fine in other front wheel drive ICE cars.
  • edited December 2018
    The 20" performance tires are summer tires, if that's what OP has. But OP seemingly has not responded since posting.