Model 3

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Tesla Tire Repair Kit

edited November -1 in Model 3
I am looking to buy a portable tire inflator but got interested in these since they also contain the repair kit.

Has anyone who owns these have used them for tire repair? Whats your review? Is it worth to get these over a regular inflator?

https://shop.tesla.com/ca/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-s_x_3-tire-repair-kit.html

Comments

• edited December 2018
    I have one of the Tesla kits. Fortunately I haven't had to use it, and hope I never do. It looks very high quality and supposedly contains sealant that won't damage your tire pressure sensors in the tires. I also carry a plugging kit, side cutters and needle nose pliers to remove a nail or screw and a set of jack pads. https://www.reverselogic.us/shop.html#!/Jack-Pad-for-Tesla-Model-3/p/102248217/category=28120348

I carry the jack pads in case I end up needing a tire fixed by a shop that doesn't have them or if I want to rotate my tires, if I need to jack it up to plug a tire, etc. I personally think they are worth the cost.
  • edited November -1
    I have one as well. It fits in the trunk and that's about all I can say about it so far.
  • edited December 2018
    it says TPMS sensor are not covered under Tesla vehicle warranty. that's the biggest complaint with slime type sealants
  • edited December 2018
    Too expensive and slime is a poor tool. Get a compressor for $35 and a plug kit.
  • edited December 2018
    +1 on the plug kit. Easiest and fastest option in my opinion, even over using a spare. In most cases, I hadn’t even had to remove the wheel or even jack up the car.
  • edited December 2018
    @Bighorn, The Tesla kit doesn't contain slime (the brand name).
  • edited December 2018
    If you’re going for a plug kit and compressor, don’t forget to throw in a plier or two to remove the nail/screw/whatever. I also bought a small scissor jack and a lug nut wrench to remove the tire roadside. Sometimes it’s near impossible to find/plug a puncture with the wheel mounted.
  • edited December 2018
    I'm really disappointed that since Tesla doesn't include a spare tire that they didn't at least include the tire repair kit, instead wanting us to pay $80 for it. I paid over $60k for the Model 3 and they couldn't toss in the air pump and sealant? So instead I got a plug kit and portable air pump. Anyone know what size socket fits the lug nuts? I'm going to need one of those too.
  • edited December 2018
    I've never had tires with foam before. Are there any considerations for foam filled tires when using plugs? Thanks.
  • edited December 2018
    @resist, I have owned 2 BMW’s back to back and both had zero spares and I had to buy a kit.
  • edited December 2018
    @gmr
    I was using it generically. Any liquid goo is a bad option 99% of the time.
  • edited December 2018
    So time ago I purchased the Inflator/ Slime kit linked to Amazon, above. Just recently, I used it to inflate our 4 tires back to 43-44 psi from the 38-39 psi they were at. It all worked, eventually, but the inflator pump is far from ideal for M3 tire stems.
    1. Instructions don’t say to unscrew little tip at end of inflator to fit M3 stems.
    2. There’s no quick connect/disconnect on the inflator hose. As a result, air leaks from the tire when attaching/detaching the little hose.
    3. The pressure gauge on the Slime Inflator in quite inaccurate. Need to inflate to “46.5” psi to get 43.5 psi. My digital pressure gauge and our M3 read the same.
    Hope this helps.
  • edited December 2018
    Why not call Tesla roadside assistance?
  • edited December 2018
    I bought one and forgot to take it on our trip from LA to Texas.
    Did not need it.
    We have used it many times to fill up slowly leaking tire.
    Check out Makita offering on Amazon.
    --Vern (owner of 4 Teslas)
  • edited December 2018
    @Cork
    Lots of places don’t have Tesla tire trucks available.
  • edited December 2018
    Lumberjack,
    Just 2 days ago, had our S90D front tire patched under the foam.
    Just $20.
  • edited December 2018
    Thanks, vp09. Just to be sure that I understand what you said, you mean you used one of those standard tire plugs with your foam insulated tire? Or you paid a tire shop $20 to patch the tire the way tire shops do? Thanks.
  • edited December 2018
    I have the Tesla inflation kit because Tesla is required to provide one in Maryland, but am thinking about a plug kit also. What do those of you who have them recommend? Any good YouTube videos you'd suggest?
  • edited December 2018
    @mazers
    I've had this cheap plug kit for a couple of years and used it once on our non-Tesla car. It did its job. I didn't get any printed instructions. They have instructions on the amazon product page. Print it out and stick it in the box if you think you might forget.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I52RG0

It might also be a good idea to throw in a pair of cheap pliers in the box to remove stubborn nails.

I bought this compressor for the Model 3:
    https://www.viaircorp.com/portables/75p

Viair has a reputation for making good products, and this model meets the max current draw requirements of the Tesla 12V outlet. Many compressor manufacturers don't even publish their load ratings at different psi. Viair does. I haven't used it yet.
  • edited December 2018
    everyone.. thanks a lot for your input. I think I will definitely buy the plug kit as BigHorn suggested and cheap compressor.

Just curious anybody know why car manufacturers don't provide spare tires nowadays?. i guess they used to give them long time back.
  • edited December 2018
    The $7 Slime brand plug kit is perfectly serviceable, but you do need the auxiliary stuff mentioned above like pliers and scissors/knife. I bought this when I used up the Slime kit, which I had bought in a pinch:

https://www.amazon.com/Boulder-Tools-Motorcycle-Trailer-Puncture/dp/B01E635PGA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1544554137&sr=8-5&keywords=tire+plug+kit+professional
  • edited December 2018
    I like both kits. I like that they have the sealing/lubricant included. I keep a tube of bicycle flat repair glue in my kit. It helps with lubrication when pushubgbin, plus it helps seal the hole also, when it dries. Most of the newer composite plugs don’t need it as they come with excellent sealing capability. But it’s nice to have the added edge.
  • edited December 2018
    Will these tire plug kits work after being exposed to freezing conditions?
  • edited December 2018
    @Med
    Yes