Model S

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Used Car Delivery Time - What is Normal

Comments

• edited July 2019
    Posting to follow up on my delivery experience. Finally took delivery this last weekend on July 20th. For the ease of those not reading the entire thread, I paid my down payment / reservation fee on June 14 and took delivery of the vehicle on July 20. Whole thing took a day over five weeks.

This is my first Tesla and I am thrilled with the car. The process, however, has almost unlimited room for improvement. Ultimately it seemed that no one knew or was willing to share what was happening between the time I paid and when the delivery center had it. If Tesla would set clear expectations upfront and provide some sort of status between order and delivery it would be such a better experience.
  • edited November -1
    @dcrbrts, glad you finally got your car. I totally agree with you about the communications (or lack thereof) and setting expectations/providing status updates. I hope Tesla improves their processes in time. Enjoy the car!
  • edited July 2019
    @dcrbrts Congrats on your Model S. Thank you for sharing. I agree with you about setting proper expectations. I'm on week number two since I placed my order for a used MS, and like you, I have no idea where my car is or when it's coming.
  • edited August 2019
    - Ordered August 16th
    - Poor trade in offer received on August 21st so cash buyer
    - 70 point check complete and pics etc sent through August 21st
    - Delivery will be within 7 days email received August 21st

So let’s see if it happens by August 28th.

I’ll let you know.
  • edited August 2019
    Hello guys, ordered used ms75d last week, all docs, finances done and waiting. Right after my pirchase, I received an email from delivery team saying that she was confirming all my info before delivery. I was all hyped up and excited. As time went by excitement burnt out, and currently I am little confused whether it was a decision well made. I fear that if I need any work done in future, it would be a not-so-good experience.
    I emailed the delivery team with questions, nobody bothered to answer. I can not think of any reason to not answer a client other than pure unprofessionalism. Many of you shared your driving experience and said how every bit of the wait well worthy of it. Hope to fee the same when I receive the car.
  • edited September 2019
    OK, an update. As expected 28/8 didn't happen but I guess with the whole Sept 1st 69 plate deliveries I wasn't surprised. Let's see if anything happens by the end of this week.

(Summary:
    - Ordered August 16th
    - August 28th - nothing
    - September 2nd - guess 69 plate is keeping the guys busy.

I’ll let you know.
  • edited September 2019
    OK, delivery date is TOMORROW Sept 20th. So a total of 35 days since ordering.

(Summary:
    - Ordered August 16th
    - August 28th - nothing
    - September 2nd - guess 69 plate is keeping the guys busy
    - September 13th - Email and call from Delivery team. Booked to collect on Sept 20th.
  • edited October 2019
    I just wondering, if it take too long, can I cancel my order and get money back? Thanks
  • edited November 2019
    Hi, I ordered a car the other day. The car is located in Hawthorne, CA and I'm based in San Jose so I would fly down there to pick up. However, I can't choose to just pick up the car. It has to be delivered to my local service center per the online check out. I'm trying to avoid paying the $2,000 fee when I can just fly there for $100 and drive back. I tried call Tesla and emailing but no luck. Any recommendations?
  • edited November 2019
    Are you communicating with a sales person at Tesla? I did just that, went and picked up the car in CA (from AZ) without any issue. Maybe things have changed. Sorry that I don’t remember the deets on how that was done but it was pretty normal from what I could tell.

If you are communicating with a rep at Tesla work with that person.
  • edited November 2019
    Thanks Prescott. I haven't had any sales person contact me yet. I'll wait for someone to do that.
  • edited November 2019
    I placed my order on 10/28/2019 using the website: 2016 Model S 90D, 28K miles, titanium/tan, subzero. Pictures arrived on 10/30. It had to be shipped from NJ to MN and on 11/3 they gave us a delivery date of 11/19. Because of work schedules, we changed that to 11/20. In other words, just over three weeks from click on the web to click of the seat belts.
  • edited January 2020
    I ordered mine 2016 Model S 75 on 01/282020, same day pictures. Vehicle location Matteson, IL with delivery location in Schaumburg, IL - like 52 miles away. Interesting will be the date of pickup :)
  • edited November -1
    Ordered Model S late November and it was delivered to Florida before Christmas. ( 3weeks plus a day or two).
    This order to delivery of weeks has a tremendous financial advantage to Tesla in that they get paid for the car before Tesla pays the 90 day invoice for the parts.
  • edited February 2020
    Just wanted to add in my information too if it would help anyone! I live in CA, took delivery at Costa Mesa facility. Car was originally in IL

Jan 22: Deposit placed for used MS
    Jan 23-Feb 4: Trade-in information, proof of existing insurance, documentation, etc exchanged via portal
    Feb 5: Text from Tesla saying delivery date is Feb 8. Tesla insurance is available via web portal
    Feb 7: Final payment options are available via web portal
    Feb 8: Took ownership of MS

Total of 17 days from deposit to delivery. The used Tesla agent had predicted between 2-3 weeks, and she was pretty much right on the money!
  • edited February 2020
    Well, more than two weeks after deposit (January 28th), still no date of delivery. They must be very busy or don't care. Car located just 52 miles from delivery location. And my "check ready" from PNC will expire on February 28.
  • edited February 2020
    Correction, check will expire February 23, so actually one week to finish transaction. (it must be cashed before that date and it is Sunday).
  • edited February 2020
    "Update" - finally delivery scheduled - Wednesday February 17th :)
  • edited February 2020
    I really think Tesla should improve customer relations and communications. Got text message about my delivery on Thursday, they asked if I agree the day and hour - text YES, I texted right away "YES" and and got replay today!!! "You got it" It is Saturday! Really? Two days later? Good think is the car is already at delivery location, just 1 mile from my house. Went to see it, looks like in the pictures, or even better. Have already one eelectric, 2015 CPO BMW i3, its is great small car, three dealers were calling me to buy one from them after I visited them :) Tesla - quiet.We have to call Tesla: "when the delivery day will be?" Anyway, we are so excited!!!
  • edited February 2020
    I got it! So deposit put on January 28, delivered February 19! Great experience with Tesla Team at Schaumburg Illinois location. Car clean, in great condition!
  • edited February 2020
    Hi all, just wanted to share my experience. After reading this thread I was super worried but all worked out in the end!

Ordered online on Saturday night 2/08/2020 MS Nov 2016 build with FSD (AP2/MCU1). $100 deposit, filled out all the pre-delivery items, arranged for ACH online to pay cash in full. Monday 2/10 was delivery advisor’s day off, received photos Tuesday 2/11 and confirmed all items were in order. Car was transferred 100mi to local delivery center for free. Thursday 2/13 received text for scheduled delivery appt at Sat 11:30am 2/15. Called to ask if they could update to HW3 before delivery; nope. Delivery was smooth except they had removed the still valid red Clean Air Vehicle tags for California, which was almost a deal breaker. Manager assured me in writing they’d honor a return if the DMV fails to issue new tags. So start to finish less than 1 week for delivery. Love the car and loving the updates I’m still receiving as catch up. First service appt scheduled for minor warranty covered thing and hopefully HW3. I’ll recommend CPO to anyone not needing the latest and greatest range etc. wished I’d done this years ago.
  • edited February 2020
    I completed an order on Monday and it's Saturday and still no word from logistics folks. It seems like Tesla made the deal pretty quick and easy but getting the truck folks to contact me is taking longer. It's definitely a different car buying feeling, but I am looking forward to having a great car.
  • edited February 2020
    I completed an order on Monday and it's Saturday and still no word from logistics folks. It seems like Tesla made the deal pretty quick and easy but getting the truck folks to contact me is taking longer. It's definitely a different car buying feeling, but I am looking forward to having a great car.
  • edited February 2020
    I placed order for 2016 P100D model S by paying $100 online the evening of 2/18. The car is out of state around 250 miles from my house, but I hade plans already to be in city where car resides the weekend of 3/6. When I informed Tesla liaison, he told me that was too long, “they want it delivered this week”. I’m a cash buyer but I was concerned since most of my cash is in high yield online savings account and takes some time to move the money so I could get cashier’s check. I’m an early adopter who bought a new S in 2015 and appealed to goodwill on those grounds, but liaison’s response was “contract says have to be able to take delivery within 48 hours of delivery”, which is false, BTW, after I re-read fine print. I discovered I could input info for ACH on Tesla portal, so I did that, and agreed to take delivery 2/22 as per their insistence. I assumed that the ACH pull wouldn’t happen until I drove car off lot (my bad), only to discover that it pulled full amount on 2/19. I booked one way flight to pick up car yesterday (2/22). When I arrived at SC, manager informed me that MCU was dead and car couldn’t be delivered. He stated that this is 3rd one this week with this exact issue (see separate thread with >250 posts). Manager did assure me they would replace MCU (refurb I presume since it’s MCU1) and ship car to my local SC at no cost to me. And they supposedly will reimburse my travel. So now I’ve paid >$70k for a car with indeterminate delivery date. I’ve asked by email for money to be transferred back to my bank and I’ll pay by cashier’s check on actual delivery date. Not holding my breath. They won’t give me loaner since transaction not finalized. The Tesla liaison hasn’t returned my calls for >24 hrs even though he’s not off on Sundays per his contact info. I appreciate them theoretically making me whole for travel and car transport, but the rumors of horrible communication and shoddy support are 100% correct.
  • edited February 2020
    *48 hours of order