Model 3

Charging very slowly

edited November -1 in Model 3
I live in the Philadelphia area and have installed a 240v connector. For the last two nights, my nightly charge rate is only 7 mph. It was fine a few weeks ago, charging quickly. In fact I hadn't plugged it in for over a week because it didn't need it.

Now I'm only at 80 miles after a night of charging.

Thoughts?

Comments

• edited January 2019
    Your screen tells you how many amps you are getting. What is it at? It sounds like it is very low. You said you installed a 240v connector but left out which one. Is it the Tesla HPWC? The NEMA 14-50? A NEMA 14-30? Something else? Anyway, you probably want to charge at the max for your particular circuit. So, for example, if you have the NEMA 14-50, you can charge at 40 amps. See if you can increase it on the car's charging screen. If you increase it and it goes back down on its own that is usually because of excessive voltage drop - which will also be seen on the charging screen. If you see it drop from say 239v down to something like 220v or so you will see the car drop the amps to prevent overheating the cables / circuit.
  • edited January 2019
    When you plug in, verify on the screen or your app the amperage coming into the car. Max is 48amps and lowest at 240 could be 20sih or even lower perhaps (7mph is around 10-12amps maybe) ? You can override and force a charge lower, if that has happened, it's easy to increase the power by pushing the + button by the amperage on the screen (not phone). If everything looks kosher there, next I'd make sure the power source is constant (ie. not turning off and on every minute because of an energy overload).

For S&G's, I'd try a regular 120 outlet for a night and see if you get a difference. Also, I restart never hurts, and if all else fails, call Tesla and have them check the logs.

Is this a Tesla charger or other brand?
  • edited January 2019
    Thanks for responses. The screen says 7 mi/hr, 238 8/8A

It's an outlet we had installed by an electrician and I'm using the 'normal' charging cord with no adapters.
  • edited January 2019
    @jerrykham, Model 3 on a 14-50 will not charge at 40 amps. It's a maximum of 32 amps.

https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/mobile-connector

NEMA 14-50
    240 volt / 50 amp breaker (outlet installation guide)
    Maximum 32 amp output
  • edited January 2019
    so I'm suspecting that the fact it says 8/8 A may be an issue?
  • edited January 2019
    @dpatrick, are you getting any error messages? The car will check for a defective circuit or an overloaded circuit and set the charge rate at the maximum safe level.
  • edited January 2019
    Yes yes 8/8 is the problem. Its really odd that it worked a few weeks ago, and now... not. If you have a multimeter, Id check the amperage coming from the outlet. I wonder if the car is limiting to 8amps for some reason???
  • edited January 2019
    Try resetting your cord. Not sure what you’re plugged in to, but there’s usually a reset button.
  • edited January 2019
    The car is achieving exactly what you have it set to, 8 amps. Adjust the current setting all the way up. The car remembers the setting by location. It will continue to do this at you home location until you adjust it.
  • edited January 2019
    Is your dryer operating off of the same circuit? If your electrician simply piggy-backed off of the dryer circuit it could explain why the charger downgraded itself to 8A. Otherwise, push the + symbol on the charge screen next to Amps and bump it back up to 32A.
  • edited January 2019
    so is the car limiting or is the circuit limiting?
  • edited January 2019
    @dpatrick, You need to provide some more information. What are you plugging into? There are many different 240v configurations; therefore, different amperage ratings respective to the outlet type.

Secondly in the charge window on the display can you adjust the rate of charge, in amps, up using the plus sign or is 8 amps the max it will allow you to go?

If the car isn't allowing any more than 8 amps it's probably seeing something wrong with the circuit or other load on the circuit that the electrician installed.
  • edited January 2019
    On the charging screen near where you can set charge start time you can also set amps.
    Can you dial that up to 32A?
  • edited January 2019
    @M8B- Internet Troll or in your case Tesla Forum Troll - An Internet troll is a member of an online social community who deliberately tries to disrupt, attack, offend or generally cause trouble within the community by posting certain comments, photos, videos, GIFs or some other form of online content.
  • edited January 2019
    Perhaps if the line was split with a dryer, everything was fine until you charged and dried a load of clothes... the car sensed the drop and lowered amperage to 8amps and saved the charge level at that location. Best case scenario is click the plus button and NEVER do laundry at the same time... if indeed that situation is true (which it shouldn't be)
  • edited January 2019
    @depatrick Sorry was on the wrong thread.
  • I had the same issue.
    Apparently, the power plug was little lose. Instead of all letters(TESLA) on the adopter flashing in green, the letter “T” was in red.
    I just tightened it up.
  • edited March 21
    Same issue here. I followed Pramod.sangola suggestion and it fixed the issued. Thanks!
  • When the M3 battery is cold the charging rate is purposely reduced by the power management algorithms. I suspect that in the warm summer months the charging rate will be maximal most of the time.
  • edited June 28
    I had same issue for a week, and unplug and plug in after 30 sec, the problem is fixed. Thanks!!
  • edited June 28
    Pramod.sangola solution is also what worked for me.

I didn't realize the connection on the brick was loose until the plug suddenly fell out from it. I thought the Red flashing T was about my house power. Instead it was a two second fix

Back in my networking days, "Its always the cable" was a frequent post-game phrase. Still true: double check any cables that get handled.
  • SPFSPF
    edited November -1
    Hi! Crowd sourcing here RE: Same issue.
    Just moved into new condo where I have a deeded dedicated spot that by contract is to have a Level 2 240 V 40 Amp outlet. I had my electrician install the HPWC (The black one that has Elon's signature on it so it's about 2 years old but was new and right out of the box - received as a referral reward). It's only charging at a rate of 7 mi/hour and as soon as I log in via the app it drops to 6mi/hr.

The Tesla Touchscreen Display won't let me go higher than 12 A when plugged in. When not plugged in, I can adjust that to 40 Amps.

Of Note: The charger is directly wired to the electrical panel in my condo (9th floor) and there is a dedicated 40 A breaker.

Any thoughts on why this is happening and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
  • SPFSPF
    edited June 28
    Just moved into new condo where I have a deeded dedicated spot that by contract is to have a Level 2 240 V 40 Amp outlet. I had my electrician install the HPWC (The black one that has Elon's signature on it so it's about 2 years old but was new and right out of the box - received as a referral reward). It's only charging at a rate of 7 mi/hour and as soon as I log in via the app it drops to 6mi/hr.

The Tesla Touchscreen Display won't let me go higher than 12 A when plugged in. When not plugged in, I can adjust that to 40 Amps.

Of Note: The charger is directly wired to the electrical panel in my condo (9th floor) and there is a dedicated 40 A breaker.

Any thoughts on why this is happening and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
  • SPFSPF
    edited June 28

Thank you!
  • edited June 28
    @SPF "Any thoughts on why this is happening and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated."

Your electrician didn't set the internal rotary selector switch to the correct amperage rating for your install.