New York

NYC and parking/charging

edited July 2010 in New York

Anyone else living in NYC and having a hard time finding a car park that will let you install your charger?  Just curious

Comments

• edited November -1
    <p>Stephen,</p>

<p>If you find a place let me know. Several people have asked about this. We may need to make some special accommodation for big city parking garages.</p>

<p>Mike Harrigan</p>
  • edited November -1
    <p>Hi Mike and Stephen,</p>

<p>Did you solve your NYC charging station situation?  I am about to receive my Tesla in a few weeks.  I have an apt in Manhattan, but have not asked my building about it yet.  </p>

<p>BTW, how is your Tesla?  Has it performed? Has it broken down? How does it weather Manhattan streets?</p>

<p>thanks, Gary</p>
  • edited November -1
    <p>I'd also be interested in an answer to this question as well. While I am planning on moving to the 'burbs prior to the release of the Model S, if I'm still in Manhattan, I'm at a loss as to what I'll do to charge it.</p>
  • edited November -1
    <p>I was able to get my charger set up in a garage. It cost a fortune to do, both in terms of parking and the install. Here is what it require:  </p>

<p>1- a separate meter (which has to be under a business rate since i am not listed as the building owner)<br />
    2- access to the buildings power intake (direct access) due to the power requirements<br />
    3- I had to pull the line from the source all the way to the parking spot<br />
    4-I had to get agreement for a fixed spot since most garages require you to let them park anywhere<br />
    5-I had to beg.</p>

<p>Well that is all, if you live in tribeca I can help you out if you are in a bind ever ;-)</p>
  • <p>Stephen,<br />
    It would be great if you could send in a report to evchargernews.com with the location of this garage that offers EV charging - provided, of course, that you don't mind letting others use it.  It would be the first in NYC or actually in the entire Northeast!<br />
    The form to email in is at:  <a href="http://www.evchargernews.com/chargerform.txt">http://www.evchargernews.com/chargerform.txt</a></p&gt;
  • edited November -1
    <p>Renew America Roadtrrip is planning their launch from NYC on July 15th - leading "America's First GREEN CHARITY drive cross contry in an all-electric sportscar" using our "ECO-warrior" white Tesla Motor's Roadster #245.  See more details at <a href="http://www.RenewAmericaRoadtrip.com">http://www.RenewAmericaRoadtrip.com</a&gt;  We are working to identify people in the area that are interestd in showing their support for our drive through the area and/or join our area event planning team.  We are also continuing to look for potential cooperative charities and local, regional, and national sponsors or volunteers to participate or help finalize event planning in your area.  Please contact me if you would like to know more or can help us promote renewable energy and charity across the USA.  <script type="text/javascript">eval(unescape('%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%4d%69%63%68%61%65%6c%40%52%65%6e%65%77%41%6d%65%72%69%63%61%52%6f%61%64%74%72%69%70%2e%63%6f%6d%22%3e%4d%69%63%68%61%65%6c%40%52%65%6e%65%77%41%6d%65%72%69%63%61%52%6f%61%64%74%72%69%70%2e%63%6f%6d%3c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b'))</script>  Let's start "Driving America Green!"  Phone me at 610-212-1253</p>
  • edited November -1
    <p>The charger is located in the lot on duane street between church and bway</p>
  • edited November -1
    Hi All, I'm taking my Model S in a few months (oh how I wish it were sooner!); I live in Mercedes House, and getting access to a 110v seems not to be a problem. It's super slow charging obviously, but its a start (no extra charge). I'm asking about a 220v and will post again when I get confirmation.

Cheers!

Mark
  • edited November -1
    PS--Mercedes House is at 53rd & 11th, and they have various EV charging stations already (for the EV Smart car they sell in the dealership located on the ground floor)
  • edited November -1
    Hi I am getting my model S this weekend but the garage next to me I had in mind has shut down. Does anyone know where can I find a self park garage with a charging facility. I can compromise on location, I live in chelsea.
    thanks
  • edited November -1
    If you can't find a garage with 208V, just use a 120 V outlet if they allow it. They all have it. I pay $50 extra to be always plugged in to 120 V.
    Occasionally I move the car to a Beam charger when I need a fast charge.
  • edited November -1
    Thing is, a standard 120V outlet will only give you around 50 miles of charge after a 12 hour charge period. If you drive more than that you might be out of luck (and juice).
  • edited November -1
    @xray.. Agreed, but if you only occasionally drive more than 350 miles a week you can move the car over to one of the numerous ChargePoint stations in the city for a few hours.