Model 3

Car driven by personnel while at Service Center

edited November -1 in Model 3
Took my Model 3 in for repairs, which has resulted in it being kept for a few days while I drive a loaner. Tonight I looked at my Tesla app to check how much battery is drained over night while at service center 10 miles away. To my astonishment my car was parked at the residential address a mile away from my home. Since it was so close I took a short drive to check on it, and sure enough my car was there at 9:30pm.

Is this standard practice, for Tesla employees to drive customer vehicles home overnight? I find this very strange. I really do not find it acceptable that someone else is driving my car.

Comments

• edited February 2019
    Definitely not standard practice, and I hope you intend to ask about it and let us know what they tell you.
  • edited February 2019
    What was the issue? Was it something they would have to drive the car to figure out if it was repaired? Was it an issue you were having overnight? If so it could be reasonable.
  • edited February 2019
    What was the issue? Was it something they would have to drive the car to figure out if it was repaired? Was it an issue you were having overnight? If so it could be reasonable.
  • edited February 2019
    When my car is in service, the first thing they do is disable mobile access thus killing my ability to track it. What state are you in?
  • edited February 2019
    Oh My Dad
  • CSTCST
    edited February 2019
    When I was younger, I worked for a reputable SAAB mechanic. He took cars home if he felt that extra drive time was needed to diagnose an issue. That said, I wouldn't want my car parked in front of someone's home - maybe in the garage...
  • edited November -1
    The standard procedure is to put the car in the service mode and you will not be able to access the car from you phone including tracking its location.
  • edited February 2019
    I've been getting Autopilot features limited error for a while. They think they finally identified the correct problem (something with the computer) and are expecting the part to arrive tomorrow, so there is no need to test drive my car. They usually disable mobile access but forgot this time. I'm in FL.
  • edited February 2019
    Why didn't you knock on the door and ask why your car is there?
  • edited February 2019
    @lbowroom
    FL is 'stand your ground' state and you never know who is behind the door; plus it is an apartment building and I am not comfortable knocking on every door at 9 pm. I took a few pictures and sent a message to SC. But knowing that somebody sat in my seat for a long time doing who knows what and left the paperwork with my personal info in the middle of the car makes me cringe.
  • edited February 2019
    I would definitely driven the car back home and go to SC in the morning to ask for an explanation. No one should have driven the car without your permission.
  • edited November -1
    Great idea, @badaman!
  • edited February 2019
    @badaman
    I was thinking of driving the car home or moving it somewhere else, but decided it might cause more problems. Very upsetting Tesla would do something like that considering how many times my car was in SC.
  • edited November -1
    That - unless explained with a *very* compelling reason - should be a fireable offense. It is a completely unacceptable breach of trust.
  • edited February 2019
    None of this is making much sense to me, hope you get satisfaction.
  • edited February 2019
    I feel violated, and wanna punch somebody.
  • edited February 2019
    I'll remember not to knock on your door
  • edited February 2019
    We all feel your pain @tanya. Hope you get some answers. I am getting my pedal and steering wheel vibration check this week. I won't leave it over night for any reasons.
  • edited February 2019
    @lbowroom Lol
  • edited February 2019
    Agreed with others. This is absolutely unacceptable.
    Under no circumstances is an employee allowed to take a customer’s car home, let alone overnight. It creates a huge liability issue for Tesla.
    I am sure once you escalate this with them, they’ll look into it and take appropriate action.
  • edited February 2019
    I’m surprised they didn’t disable mobile access. I think I would have taken my car. Shame!
  • edited November -1
    If they’re looking to fix issues that require driving like a noise or leaky window, it wouldn’t be unexpected.
  • edited February 2019
    So is it true, our cars are used as loaners?
  • edited February 2019
    go get your car now!
  • edited February 2019
    TESLATUNITY on YOUTUBE documented this exact thing. The service center told him a service member would be driving his car home overnight for "autopilot issues"... He just posted the video a few days ago.

Tesla told him that it is standard practice... Thats crazy to me.