General

Why Mars? Why not the moon?

Comments

• edited May 2019
    @andy.connor.e

>>> "i have an unmeasurable amount of gravity. congrats"

Does that consist of physical weight (what the scale says), virtual weight (the emotional impact your words might have on others), or the amount of magnetic influence on surrounding particles/objects?
  • edited May 2019
    exclusively virtual
  • edited June 2019
    Cheers!
  • edited June 2019
    @Blue adept. I get that. Density also plays a part.
  • edited June 2019
    "That depends on what your understanding of what constitutes "mass" is."

I didn't realize the ability for mass to produce gravity was dependent on my understanding of mass. Cool. If a tree falls in the forest and I am not there to hear it did it produce a sound?
  • edited June 2019
    If you dont understand quantum mechanics, then the tree did not produce a sound.
  • edited June 2019
    @SCCRENDO

An object's or material's "density" plays a role to a certain degree, but it's more about the object's &/or material's gravimetric influence on surrounding objects than anything else.
  • edited June 2019
    @owlegrad2

Yes and...Yes.

To clarify a bit, mass is gonna do what mass is want to do.

Other than that I guess I should say that an individual's understanding is relative to them and the level of education and experience they've managed to accumulate up to the point they're pressed to offer an opinion or provide insight as that accumulated knowledge serves to shape their understanding of the world, or space, around them.

To that end Quantum Mechanics serves to provide those versed in it a...clearer, more in-depth &/or comprehensive understanding of things.

Think of it in this way...in Middle School you learned and knew what you did, then you learned more and came to know more in High School, and learned and came to know even more still in College. In this context Quantum Mechanics is a few more years on beyond College and with it comes an even greater understanding of...E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G.

FWIW, Quantum Mechanist is but one of the many hats I wear.
  • edited June 2019
    @SCCRENDO

Yes, our conventional understanding of things has served us well enough for some time now, but we're finding ourselves in the need of a fuller/greater understanding of our surroundings and the functioning of things than that which we once had because we're pushing ourselves to do/accomplish MORE than we ever have before and with that motivation we've uncovered an even deeper understanding of things.

It is interesting that, what with all we've come to know, it never once occurred to anyone to consider the possibility that the mere property of gravimetric influence possessed, in and of itself, it's own attribute.
  • edited June 2019
    @andy.connor.e

>>> "If you dont understand quantum mechanics, then the tree did not produce a sound."

Honestly, that's more a matter of simple, average, everyday common sense than it is one of a branch of Physics.
  • edited June 2019
    @owlegrad2

This is likely a better way of explaining Quantum Mechanics...

Think of it as the difference between seeing the world through an optical microscope vs. through an electron microscope, is the better analogy.
  • edited June 2019
    But back to the subject of the thread...Anyone with any ideas of how to mitigate our/protect ourselves from the exposure to radiation once we're free of the Earth's protective atmosphere?
  • edited November -1
    Suits made out of a material with the protection of lead without the weight.
  • edited June 2019
    I'm listening...

How do you plan to imbue suits with lead protection while avoiding the inherent weight issue?

Also, what potential solution do you have for the spaceship itself? I mean, it's one thing to wear protection while you're on the outside of the craft, but what about your exposure once you've re-entered the craft and unsuited?
  • edited June 2019
    Is this my platform opportunity to deny gravity waves?
  • edited November -1
    @Blue adept. My remark was sarcastic. I don’t have the answer. That’s why Elon has not asked for my advise. There are serious issues that need a o be resolved and you have highlighted them. Ignoring the radiation it at least looks like we can sustain ourselves for months to years. But resupply still seems necessary and Mars is a lot further than the Space Station. I am not sure how far we have got as far as being able to grow crops in an isolated environment. Of course living space will be awfully cramped.
  • edited June 2019
    In space it doesnt matter how heavy the suit is. Can still wear it.
  • edited June 2019
    @Andy. But it will still be heavy on Mars even if not as heavy as on earth.
  • edited June 2019
    First Mars and then..
  • edited June 2019
  • edited June 2019
    @Ross1

You could try, but you'd be wrong, though I'm open to hearing your argument against the fact.
  • edited June 2019
    @SCCRENDO

Oh...sarcasm...just the sort of thing to bring to a conversation on a matter of serious consequences (that was more sarcasm).

Regardless, it never hurts to ask a question of someone regardless of whatever background that they might or might not have as our inherent diversity provides each of us with a unique perspective that might provide some insight into a matter not thought of by those more so familiar with it.

As for our nutritional requirements both during the trip and once we've arrived, vertical gardening and hydroponics incorporating the use of modulated light spectrum and metered misting have both proven themselves to be very efficient, productive and sustainable when used in tandem with crop rotation to maintain soil nutrient and vitamin levels and there are plenty of plant-based protein sources to choose from to cover that nutritional requirement.

This is to say that I see future interstellar travelers dietary needs being, with the one exception of freeze-dried meats (25 year shelf live if properly prepared), primarily vegan based out of necessity more so than any real desire, at least for the short term anyway or until we manage to develop more energy efficient refrigeration technology(s) or are able to safely house livestock or until we can develop 'replicator' technology (ala Star Trek) or some such.

As for "cramped" living conditions, well, that all depends on ship design which could be compartmentalized and based on so-called 'folding' or 'flat-pack' architectural technology (for example, see https://www.madihome.com/ or https://www.tenfoldengineering.com/), that way there'd be both ample on-ship housing quarters and Earth-like living spaces once deployed on the surface of other worlds.

We CAN do it!
  • edited June 2019
    @andy.connor.e & @SCCRENDO

I was thinking of/hoping for thoughts on something along the lines of alternatives to lead to avoid the whole weight issue and to increase versatility of application given lead's inherent limitations due to its weight, case in point, some scientists have managed to develop a lightweight material capable of blocking radiation...

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn3050-lightweight-radiation-proof-fabric-unveiled/

Anyone think of any other potential alternatives?
  • edited June 2019
    @advocadoss

Why, what lies beyond of course.