General

Why Mars? Why not the moon?

Comments

• edited June 2019
    @andy.connor.e

The Na'vi and a great many species no doubt.
  • edited June 2019
    ...a great many OTHER species...
  • edited June 2019
    H2 is a great radiation blocking agent and water is H2O of course. They have developed hydrogenated BNNTs which apparently can be used to make spacesuits. But they also mention force fields perhaps like the earth has to deflect particles.
    Alpha particles are blocked by skin and paper, Beta by plexiglass(I believe H2 in it works well( and lead to block gamma. There is another issue and that is secondary particles energized by hits from gamma.
    Right now I imagine some good research is being done but I am not up to speed on that.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/real-martians-how-to-protect-astronauts-from-space-radiation-on-mars
  • edited June 2019
    @blue adept. So it looks like you have a potential answer to the radiation question. I would like to research the biomes that were set up there Tucson. I am not sure how independent and successful they are.
  • edited June 2019
    @Mike83 & @SCCRENDO

Yes, I'm sure that everyone is looking forward to being encased in a suit filled with a highly combustible diatomic gas/liquid (not!) and it, like the others, are but potential answers/solutions and not necessarily THE solution and definitely no reason for anyone to stop trying to come up with other answers/solutions/concepts.
  • edited November -1
    Agreed
  • edited June 2019
    This is what I found on biosphere 2. Do you have anything better researched
    http://biosphere2.org/research-outcomes
  • edited June 2019
    I think this answers some questions quite https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_support_system
  • edited June 2019
    Simplistically
  • edited June 2019
    I am late to this thread, and don't really have anything to add, but wanted to say how impressed I am with the intelligent discourse and discussion from @blue adept, @SCCRENDO, @Mike83, and others. Reading this thread has been very interesting and worthwhile IMHO.
  • edited June 2019
    @SCCRENDO

As you can see from the links there is much room for improvement, which speaks to my whole point being that merely because we might've thought of something already doesn't mean that something still can't be thought.

That's what happened to the introduction of Quantum Mechanics to the world of Physics...We came up with something of an explanation for things and just stopped thinking about it altogether, then everyone had their minds blown when QM was introduced which provided an even better, more conclusive explanation, much of which altogether dispelled and/or displaced much of the heretofore conventional understanding of things, and all because people just stopped thinking about it. :(

One of the links did address another major hindrance to space travel that I wanted to mention, i.e., water...how to store, transport and replenish it, if even possible at all? We'll have to have it, in abundance, and be able to effectively recover much if not all of it...!?
  • edited June 2019
    @blue adept. Agreed. Bottom line is that Moon colonization may be far easier but Mars colonization is more sexy.
  • edited June 2019
    you may have a moon base, but no way you could ever "colonize"
    it would never be self sustaining
  • edited June 2019
    @jimglas. Patience grasshopper. We need to start with a base first. Who is thinking about colonizing yet? Perhaps Trump? He thinks there may be oil there.
  • edited November -1
    @scc: i know, all the buried dinosaur juice .......
  • edited June 2019
    I guess Americans will want to take their guns with them. Should work a treat with hydrogen filled suits and pressurised oxygen.
  • @Ross1,
    You betcha! The mars rover Curiosity actually has a laser raygun on it today!
  • edited June 2019
    I know we discussed a helicopter flying on Mars before. Here is a link
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/05/world/mars-2020-rover-eyes-trnd-scn/index.html
  • edited June 2019
    June 10th. Jupiter and its moons visible with binoculars. A real treat.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/05/sky-watching-guide-june-solstice-jupiter-moon-mercury/
  • edited June 2019
  • @SCCRENDO,
    As I mentioned previously, Europa, a moon of Jupiter has liquid water today. With the scary exception of Arthur C Clark's omen that "All these worlds are yours except Europa. Attempt no landing there." Europa looks like the best candidate in our solar system thus far.
    Mars does have the benefit of being close enough to the sun for solar power to be easy, of course. Remember that your solar flux density decreases with the square of distance from the sun.
  • edited June 2019
    @SCCRENDO

I really don't see us 'colonizing' the Moon, per se, it would be a logistical nightmare with our current level of technological development (as @jimglas alluded to) and highly impractical.

A 'Moonbase'? Perhaps, one crewed with a rotating staff for the purpose of inter-solar telecommunications for off-world excursions and maybe even mining of the Asteroid Belt between Mars and Jupiter, the outer Kuiper Belt beyond Neptune, and perhaps even the Oort Cloud, the farthest most collection of orbiting interstellar debris, for the collection of precious metals and what have you, and maybe even the construction of huge ships of the sort more so suitable to deep Space exploration.

Maybe later when our technology sufficiently advances we could set up a more permanent installation somewhere on the surface of the Moon, but I don't see anything of any real permanence for the foreseeable future.
  • edited June 2019
    Of course nothing more than a temporary 'visit' will be possible until we manage to overcome certain logistical and practical issues that inhibit our ability to venture beyond our world's atmosphere without risk of life and limb for any real duration.
  • edited June 2019
    It’s all an exercise in mental masturbation which I am all for. I think we will have fun, it’s a great adventure. But again. Our main focus should be on repairing our own planet. It’s like looking for a fixer upper home in a new neighborhood while you trash your great home
  • edited June 2019
    @SCCRENDO

>>> "Our main focus should be on repairing our own planet."

We, you and I, are of one mind on this point.

Ironically, unlike off-world colonization or even interstellar travel, we already possess the technology necessary to repair our planet and reverse the ravages set upon it by the selfish and the greedy and the avarice such indulgences inevitably breed.

We can already make for ourselves and future generations a better place to live but for the lack of want to live in and leave behind a better world than the one we've been born into by those we've given authority over us...ALREADY...and all but for the lack of the WANT to do so.

"For want of a nail the shoe was lost...

For want of a shoe the horse was lost...

For want of a horse the rider was lost...

For want of a rider the message was lost...

For want of a message the battle was lost...

For want of a battle the kingdom was lost...

And all for the want of a horseshoe nail."

Greed, selfishness, and the avarice it breeds, will be the demise of us all and all but for the lack of the want for better for everyone by the few who want it all only for themselves for the relatively short amount of time they're here.