General

Tesla Bluestar

edited November -1 in General
Does anybody know anything about the car that is supposed to be developed after the Model S? I heard that it is supposed to be their "cheap" car.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Only that it will be a family sedan, about ½ the price of the Mod S, 5-seater, due perhaps in 2016. By that time battery tech may have jumped ahead, so range is pure speculation. Production volume perhaps 5-10X Mod S levels.

That's still smallish compared to the capacity of the majors, but by that time Tesla models should be the acknowledged quality leaders.
  • edited November -1
    Awsome! Where did you get this information? I couldn't find anything on it except on forums and blogs like this.
  • edited November -1
    It was on the old forum, and may have gotten lost in the move to these new forums. I seriously doubt you're gonna get more information on the Bluestar until after the Model S is released, since they haven't <b><u>STARTED</b></u> designing the Bluestar yet. The Bluestar is going to be based off the Model S, and you can't design something based on something else UNTIL that something else is actually FINISHED first.
  • edited November -1
    Check out the clay model that appears in the Tesla career video @01:22. Is that the Gen 3?
  • edited November -1
    No, either early model of Model S (pictured from angle) or Model X.
  • edited November -1
    I hope the Bluestar doesn't look too similar to the S. I'm not saying that out of vanity. I just think it will be boring if all of Tesla's cars look sort of the same. I really think it's lame the way that the average person can't spot the difference between a BMW 5-series and 7-series outside of the badge. Even the 3-series looks the same, only shorter.

While I think Bluestar will be a great step, I think people should still be prepared for an expensive car. Tesla keeps saying that it's going to be a $30,000 car in the same way that the S is a $50,000 car. I fully expect well-equipped Bluestar's to cost $50 - 70k.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I just hope that someday, Tesla gets to a model that will have similar (or better) range and performance characteristics as an S, but at a price that competes with Camrys and Accords or even down to American cars like Malibus and Impalas and Tauruses.

I think that's when things will get really interesting. That will be when many Americans could start to consider buying an electric car, and then when a healthy selection of these cars enter the used market, then almost every American will be able to consider an electric car.

That's when we'll truly see how viable this sub-industry becomes. That's when we'll see demand for charging infrastructure and innovative, affordable, and easy solutions for people who don't have garages for instance. That's when we'll see all manufacturers start to come out with electric cars. Then I think we'll see tons of innovation.

Think of the innovations Tesla has already achieved, for example, some of the touchscreen controls and diagnostics to physical innovations like the skateboard battery pack and the frunk.

Now imagine that Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford, VW, Hyndia, and even Kia enter the fray. The amount of innovation is going to explode and it's going to be really exciting.
  • edited November -1
    Well, considering that a $60K version of the S carries and costs about the same as a $35K ICE car (according to Teslarumors.com), a $40K Bluestar should have a TCO about the same as a $25K ICE. Not tea bags.
  • edited November -1
    P.S.
    Elon sez the Bluestar will be like a smaller S, but steel, not aluminum (cost), weighing about 20-25% less. Battery tech will be the next generation along. TM can't afford to play with radical "skin" designs until it has that 10-fold volume jump established.
  • edited November -1
    <i>While I think Bluestar will be a great step, I think people should still be prepared for an expensive car. Tesla keeps saying that it's going to be a $30,000 car in the same way that the S is a $50,000 car. I fully expect well-equipped Bluestar's to cost $50 - 70k.</i> (olanmills)

I agree (except that I'd guesstimate a range of $40k-$55k, $60k max).

<i>I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I just hope that someday, Tesla gets to a model that will have similar (or better) range and performance characteristics as an S, but at a price that competes with Camrys and Accords or even down to American cars like Malibus and Impalas and Tauruses.</i> (olanmills)

I don't think that's where Tesla is going. IMO Tesla will (and should) carefully maintain their premium brand image. There's a reason why a Smart does not have a Mercedes brand name and logo attached to it, even though it's the same company. I think Tesla will stick to the upscale market, but that's not a problem because they will license and/or build their technology for other brands to use them in their vehicles -- like they already do with Toyota for the RAV4 EV. The RAV4 EV isn't cheap, either, but I can far easier see Toyota build an "E-Camry" with Tesla's drive train, than building Tesla a car that has to make some compromises to appeal to the Camry's price sensitive audience.

That way the electric vehicle revolution will continue to avalanche down to larger market segments, and Tesla will make a profit along the way, but Tesla will never build cheap cars under their own brand name.
  • edited November -1
    VB;
    On arithmetic factor to consider is that the lower the sticker price, the higher the fuel share of TCO. So the 5-15X reduction in $/mi. of an EV has a proportionately bigger impact.