Model X

Voice Command Button (top right) on Steering Wheel is not responding

edited November -1 in Model X
Any suggestions on how to get the Voice Command Button (top right) on Steering Wheel to respond...seems nothing happens.

It did work a few days ago, seemed to quit for no reason.

I did try 2-Button and 2-Button plus Brake Reboots, but that did not solve it.

THANKS for any suggestions.

Comments

• edited March 2019
    As it turns out...

The Voice Command Button still does not work...but if I honk my horn (and I don't do it too often,) Voice Command activates waiting for my command. :)

Seems something got loose back there.

Mobile Service is coming on Saturday to fix it.
  • edited March 2019
    Now that is very interesting :)
  • edited March 2019
    That is interesting. Steering wheel definitely loaded up with electronics & don't forget heating elements too!

Potentially something crossed in there now if voice activation happens when honking the horn.
  • edited March 2019
    What happens if you honk the horn while rubbing your belly?
  • edited March 2019
    @jimglas If that happens it will navigate you straight to the nearest gym :-)
  • edited March 2019
    Damnit. I was hoping the bunny ranch.
  • edited March 2019
    lol
  • edited March 2019
    I am having the same problem. Voice command button will not respond. However, if I press the horn it will prompt for a voice command. Really strange issue. I have scheduled a SC visit but over 1 month wait in my area for a brand new 2019 Model S. Not good first impression.
  • edited March 2019
    Quick and easy fix...can't you get a sooner Tesla Mobile Service scheduled?

That said, you are not missing too much with that issue--enjoy (love) the 99+% rest of the car. :)
  • I'm having the same problem. I believe it started with the download of V10. Is there a fix out there without having to go to the service center? really long wait. And the chat service was no help.
  • edited November 2019
    I’ve got the identical problem. Began yesterday November 1, 2019. Pressing the voice commands button does nothing. If I beep my horn the car is then ready to accept voice commands properly.

Has anyone figured out a solution yet?
  • edited November -1
    I’m having the same issue. Received car end of August and was working at that time. stopped working about 1-2 weeks ago. My car is on 2019.31.101(car has not had an update since getting car). Hopefully a update fixes this otherwise I’ll bring into service center.
  • edited November 2019
    Quick (a few minutes) and easy fix for a Tesla Mobile Service call.
  • edited November 2019
    BossHoss, what did your fix involve?
  • edited November 2019
    My car doing the same thing. Horn, voice command and heated steering not working
  • edited November -1
    My car does the same....Voice Command button does not work but honking the horn activates voice commands. I scheduled a mobile tech appt for 12/26. BUT, I happened to be in the vicinity of the Richmond,VA SC and decided to drop in. The advisor took a look and then summoned a tech. He quickly determined it is a faulty VC button and they ordered one so the mobile Tech will have it when he comes. The Richmond, VA SC ROCKS!
  • Have the same problem, service says it's going to be fixed with the new update.
    anyone heard anything?
  • edited January 30
    In my case the fix had nothing to do with a software update...

The Voice Command button had fallen out of place and landed under the horn.

At my house, Tesla Mobile Tech repositioned the button and fixed the problem in a few minutes.
  • edited January 31
    Wow, reading all these comments is great. Two updates ago my X stopped listening to me. Just would not understand what, for the past year plus she had totally responded to. I miss talking to her. I have had three service encounters and no help - just the comment that it is a firm ware issue and "engineering" is working on it - might be a couple months. They said a lot X Model had the issue.

I am going to try my horn and see if that helps. I am really frustrated - I miss talking to my car.
  • edited January 31
    Wow, reading all these comments is great. Two updates ago my X stopped listening to me. Just would not understand what, for the past year plus she had totally responded to. I miss talking to her. I have had three service encounters and no help - just the comment that it is a firm ware issue and "engineering" is working on it - might be a couple months. They said a lot X Model had the issue.

I am going to try my horn and see if that helps. I am really frustrated - I miss talking to my car.
  • The changing of the color isn't that unusual. They is now a fix, but you have to go to the dealer to have it done. Something about it doesn't retain memory to hold your color selection. Mine changes within a week or so, as does the intensity always going to full https://www.myprepaidcenter.one/
  • edited January 31
    I issued a voice command on the first day after I got the 2020.4.1 version. I told it "<Name of my car> let us go to work". It asked me to punch in my work address (I think it is a one time deal until you hard reset the MCU for some reason). I issued that voice command 2 days ago. Ever since then, the NavOnAP turns ON automatically and guides me to my work destination every time I leave home. Similarly when I leave work, it automatically starts guiding me to my home. Is that how it is supposed to work? Meaning, you issue a command for a destination once and it remembers that command until you issue another voice command for a different destination?
  • edited February 3
    Teslapalooza, what you are describing is the navigation auto routing based on it learning your schedule. You can turn that feature off.
  • edited February 3
    Voice commands stopped working after update, tried reboot did not work, are they going to send a fix or do we have to bring it in or will they send mobile repair?
  • edited February 4
    @hinthehouse, thanks for your tip. Will look at that. What I am confused about is, I never saw that behavior until 2020.2.4 got installed. I do not recall messing with that setting after the new version got installed..