Model 3

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Shadow Braking during Autopilot still an issue?

edited March 2019 in Model 3
Now that more model 3 owners are getting Autopilot due to the price reduction, is shadow braking still a concern. In the past, there have been quite a few reports of the car braking randomly due to shadows from overpasses etc. Has anyone experienced this lately?

Comments

• edited March 2019
    I haven’t had this happen in a long time. On 2018.50.6
  • edited March 2019
    On a rural 25 mph residential street I use daily, every Tim I come to ascertain bend while on cruise control it makes a 4 chirp sound and brakes hard.
  • edited March 2019
    When using NOA it slowed down at every exit, for no apparent reason when I was on the freeway. Then I shut off NOA, it didn't keep showing down.
  • edited March 2019
    These are all well documented precursors to FSD.
  • edited March 2019
    On 50.6 with EAP/FSD. Yes, still get unintended braking events, though far fewer than on earlier releases. Not yet a solved problem.
  • edited March 2019
    Only get this when I change lanes and the lane next to my target open lane has a car that triggers blind spot ping
  • edited March 2019
    Are you still using Autopilot for long trips? I just ordered the Autopilot only upgrade and plan to take a road trip, so wanted to make sure if it’s safe without stating the obvious that driver will be alert at all times. I feel even if the driver is alert, phantom braking could be dangerous?
  • edited March 2019
    I have never had my TESLA suddenly brake (phantom) as a result of a shadow or any other reason using Auto Pilot. I have been driving So Cal freeways since July 2018 in heavy traffic as welll as no traffic.
  • edited March 2019
    The phantom braking, at least for me, is no longer an issue. Yes, very rarely it will do a light phantom brake tap, but it is not the hard brake that it used to do and it is nowhere near as frequent.

@Sidk83, yes it is great for long trips. I use it every single day on every single drive. It works great. Just make sure to watch out for potholes and road debris. On local roads, also watch out for pedestrians, stop signs, stop lights (unless someone is in front of you), and USPS trucks that are partly pulled off the road.
  • @apodbdrs - Lucky you. But not to worry, I have had it happen enough for both of us.

Most recently it seems to be that TACC, for whatever reason, like to suddenly lock on to cars in the adjacent lanes and adjust my speed to theirs. Most of the time is is a car in the lane to my right but there have been a small number of occasions with cars to my left.
  • edited March 2019
    @charles.a.braun - I noticed this as well. Also, it seems that the car brakes for brake lights now. Meaning someone can be 10-15 car lengths ahead lightly tap their brake and the model 3 will slow unnecessarily. I had the trial period back in October and just purchased AP. It seems that AP is more erratic with braking now (perhaps overly cautious). My daughter was trying to read and said it was making her carsick so I turned it off :-/.
  • @neylus - TACC, when working properly, is actually basing its speed off of the vehicle in front of that guy directly in front of you. This is why your car seems to slow even though the car directly in front of you either is not slowing or just lightly taps their brakes for a moment.

Your car is actually reacting to the car in front of that guy in front of you.
  • edited March 2019
    Today on the Mass Pike under a bridge with strong shadows.
  • edited March 2019
    Has not happened to me on highway since last Fall (use it every day). Used to happen routinely on a couple of bridges with shadows. Fixed for my routes.
  • edited March 2019
    It happened to me this evening under a Bridge with strong evening elongated shadows. It braked so hard that if there were a car 20-30 feet behind me, he would have crashed into me.
  • edited March 2019
    It has improved but still happens to me occasionally. I've had mine nearly 6 months now.
  • edited March 2019
    Charlesabraun, you are wrong about this because the issue can occur even when no one is in front of you. Apparently it can be caused by a sudden shadow, or some belief that the marked speed fir the road has changed (which I have personally seen the speed indicated for Int5 as 45 mph in more than one location.
  • edited March 2019
    I did have any issue for a very long time. Then very bad with 2019.5.4. Seems like fixed with 2019.5.15
  • edited March 2019
    I meant I didn’t have any issue for a very long time prior to 2019.5.4
  • edited March 2019
    I experienced this issue with 2019.5.15
  • edited March 2019
    It's an issue for me. Three times last Sunday on So Cal freeways in moderate traffic.
  • edited March 2019
    With the issue still happening on the latest software release, are you still comfortable using AP? This seems dangerous from what some of you have described.
  • edited March 2019
    Yes-had it happen this morning, after the latest update.

Not as marked (and to be fair, while I had it more frequently with the overpass shadows, it hadn't happened in a while)

This morning, no overpass, but with two semis operating in the next lane, a car creeped out into my lane between them, and accelerated. My car (after the other had gone, and even changed into another lane) started slowing down, fairly quickly.
    Unusual, but I'll see what happens. I hover with my foot over accelerator just because of this stuff
  • edited March 2019
    It's dangerous and scary! Imagine if the car did that during auto lane change. FSD is a pipe dream.
  • edited March 2019
    Yes, happened to me yesterday. On 280 just before the shadow of the Sand Hill Road overpass. I have 2019.5.15 software.