Model 3

If there's a software upgrade to bring the LR Dual Motor acceleration close as the Performance, I wo

Comments

• I laugh at people like Howard telling Tesla how to run the business. They make the best cars on the planet, no one is coming close. How is that "Tesla killer" Bolt doing?
    Or any of the others.

Elon has done more than the impossible. No need to discuss, most know.
  • Let's see, if Tesla offered the speed only upgrade to the AWD people for $5k, and just 10,000 took it, that would be
    $50,000,000 of pure bottom line profit. Why the hell would he want to do that, makes no sense, LOL.
  • edited March 2019
    minervo.florida, "I laugh at people like Howard telling Tesla how to run the business. They make the best cars on the planet, no one is coming close. How is that "Tesla killer" Bolt doing? Or any of the others.

Elon has done more than the impossible. No need to discuss, most know."

After trading in the 2017 Bolt for the P3D+ I purchased a 2019 Volt. Those of us with first-hand unbiased experience know. No need to discuss!!
  • edited March 2019
    @howard

I'm trying to follow, you bought a 2019 Volt?
  • edited March 2019
    @howard

The 2019 Volt is not an EV, it's a hybrid. It is not a directly comparable car to the Tesla Model 3, let alone the P3D+ variant of it.

The P3D+ is an EV sportscar that competes with BMW, Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, Lotus, Maserati, etc. The Chevy market is not even in its consideration set.

A 2019 Chevy Volt is closer in price point to Tesla's based $35k Model 3. I think the Volt's 0-60 is 8.4s (when battery is over 40%), it would again not be in the same class of even the cheapest Tesla.

I suppose you purchased to have the gasoline option, which is fine, and would definitely make sense for longer trips. But the idea that Chevy, Nissan, or Ford make a superior EV to Tesla is beyond laughable.
  • edited March 2019
    This guy is hilarious.
  • edited March 2019
    TM3Q | @howard I'm trying to follow, you bought a 2019 Volt?

Yes, we needed a second car for our AZ home. I simply could not justify, for a host of reasons, buying another Tesla even at the 35k if it had been available. Yes, I wanted to have open back road capability which is why I did not just go back and buy another Bolt. Discussing my decision on this forum is pretty much pointless. I honestly have no ax to grind and do enjoy driving my Tesla but it is simply not the best value to me for the money.

Funny that some of you argue that Tesla is not a premium car and that Elon's vision it to be the low-cost mass-produced EV for the world and ridicule me for buying just that car.
  • edited March 2019
    @howard

Ok I see, my neighbour has also a Volt and he likes it. No worries, I understand. The only thing I could argue is that a Volt is a hybrid so it could’t be the low cost mass-produced EV....GM is closing plants in Canada because they discontinu the Volt.
  • edited March 2019
    I'd take just the acceleration upgrade to offset the drop from old to new price and be happy, I don't need top speed cuz I don't need that, just need 0-70 off the line. =)
  • edited March 2019
    Pretty sure there are hardware changes that would be needed to go from current AWD acceleration to P3D acceleration. Not just a simple software update. As Tesla did with the M3LRRWD, there's always some tuning that can be done to increase acceleration, but you're talking about a 10% gain, not a 25% gain. Something like that will likely come some day as part of a software update, but about 99.9% certain that P3D acceleration (or even close to it) will ever be offered on a current LR AWD car.
  • edited March 2019
    I don't need 3.2 seconds. Anything sub 4 seconds will do.
  • edited March 2019
    As much as I'd like a performance upgrade for my LR AWD it would really be just to know that I have it. The LR AWD is already more than fast enough for anything most people would use it for. Even when coming out of a dead stop from a traffic light if I floored it I'd have to ease off within a few seconds as I am already around 60 or so. If I am on a highway or two lane road and accelerate at 60 or 70 mph to pass someone if I am not careful I am in the 90-100 range in the blink of an eye. I can't imagine ever using the increased acceleration (though I would be one of those that would gladly pay for it) from say 4.4/4.5 seconds down to say 4.0 seconds.
  • edited March 2019
    The 3P teleports more than accelerates..
  • edited March 2019
    2015P90DI, although you're pretty sure it requires hardware, you're absolutely wrong. There is no hardware difference between a P3D- and an AWD.
  • edited March 2019
    @howard- I simply do not understand your thinking here. Yes, the performance people paid initially for a performance upgrade, some with hardware changes/software, and others with (arguably) a software change only. So, if Tesla can, after the sale, upgrade the existing AWD models for $, how is that not a good idea?
    The EAP/FSD price has gone up/down since I purchased my AWD in Sept 2018, and I was told at the time that the FSD would never be cheaper than at the time of purchase. Well, 6 months later, and it was, so I bought then. Doesn't devalue the other cars that paid more-they got in first, without any guarantee that the price would drop. I opted to wait, not knowing if I'd ever opt for it, but at the reduced price, yes, I did. Win for Tesla, win for me.
    For a performance upgrade on my existing AWD-yes, I'd consider paying, not too much, but would consider it. It is the nature of prices for software, and even for cars, to drop over time. Doesn't mean the people that paid more initially got taken, they got what they paid for, and have enjoyed it for a longer period.
  • edited March 2019
    @aperfectecho

I am in full support of existing AWD owners to be able to software upgrade closer to P3D- performance. However, if they completely match P3D- perfomance, that would mean that everything in terms of hardware that was stated about P3D was a lie and the $11k we initially paid was literally to unlock the restrictor to the motors. That would piss off a lot of P3D- buyers.

I still don't think that's the case because I choose to believe Elon's tweet, and I do expect software upgrades in the future that improve AWD performance, just not to P3D- levels. Maybe a hair under 4.0 0-60, something like that.
  • edited March 2019
    I'd prefer they offer power upgrades a la cart for AWD. I'd pay $2k for 4s. Maybe $5k for 3.5. But I wouldn't pay the full $10k for the 3.2s.
  • edited March 2019
    I would gladly pay $2K for a rated 3.9s 0-60. That is all I am looking for...
  • edited March 2019
    @rkalbiarEV They'd get my $2k for sure.
  • edited March 2019
    aperfectecho | @howard- I simply do not understand your thinking here. Yes, the performance people paid initially for a performance upgrade, some with hardware changes/software, and others with (arguably) a software change only. So, if Tesla can, after the sale, upgrade the existing AWD models for $, how is that not a good idea?

What is the incentive for Tesla customers to pay full price for their selections, Performance, AP, EAP, FSD if they believe with good reason that if they wait Tesla is going to offer them the same things for less money? This does, in fact, diminish the value for others that paid for the options at the time of purchase for the full price.

It cheapens the Tesla brand though as pointed out it benefits the current owners.

What is the timing to by a Tesla? What options should you pay for when you decide to buy?

Will Tesla have a big sale on upgraded wheels, power output upgrades, performance upgrades, AP, EAP, FSD?

Maybe I should just buy the bottom line M3 and wait for Tesla to start having sales, or not buy at all thinking heck they might be another $2,000 cheaper next month and include a bunch of options for free.

Oh, no one really knows based on the constantly changing landscape of Tesla sales.
  • edited March 2019
    Amanwithaplan, thank you, I'm well aware of Elon's post from May 2018. To date, no one has been able to produce any evidence of a parts difference between the two models, they have identical replacement part numbers regardless of any binning or testing procedure. Reports of customers ordering performance without PUP when available, receiving AWD at delivery, and service flashing software to "fix" them.
  • edited March 2019
    @amanwithaplan: I have read the tweets, etc., and am still not convinced there is any hardware difference between a non-P AWD, and the P- AWD edition. It's never been made 100% clear to me.
    That said, yes, if there are hardware differences, then software alone will not allow the non-P to be as quick as the P. Just have never seen an absolute on this.
    @howard-the incentive is that there is no guarantee. If you want performance, buy it, because, like now, there is no guarantee there will be any upgrade path. If there is, it doesn't really detract from your experience. Yes, that option may be cheaper, may not ever come to fruition. The only way to be sure is to pay up front.
  • edited March 2019
    lbowroom, Oh what to believe, who to believe, when to believe, when to doubt. What the heck!!

What is FSD? It is not currently what was represented in the beginning, is it?

What will FSD be when it is finally released. Probably not even what it is represented to be today.

Constantly changing information/disinformation regarding, sales, service, parts, body shops, SC rollout, actual build specifications (AWD / Performance differences that probably really do not exist other than software), pricing, options, and freebies all being propagated by both Tesla and Elon is a base issue with Tesla.

It has certainly affected my views of Tesla and what I purchased next.
  • edited March 2019
    If I had to bet money on it, my bet would be on performance being simply a software checkbox.

However shallow this tidbit may be, but school kids around here think highly of Teslas, one of them said to my kid that he wishes his first car to be a Tesla. Little do they know that many of those gas guzzling SUVs around here easily cost more than my $60k Model 3. Wait till they find out one can now be had for $35k.